SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bergit_gw

Amaryllis ( Hippeastrum ) and how I came to love them.

19 years ago

A rainy and windy day in June 2003 I was rushing around in my garden to set up support for tall perennials. Suddenly I saw something red among the branches of a hollybush. It turned out to be the red and white blooms of a H. 'Minerva' which I had discarted a couple of months earlier. The bulb hadn't had the right care, it had lost it's leaves and looked miserable and shrunk. ( I must have been lazy the day I clared it out, since I had thrown it under a bush, and not carried it to the compostheap. )

The bulb had 2 stalks, 4 big lovely blooms on each and perfect leaves. It was a wonder ! The branches of the hollybush had given enough support, and for some mysterious reason the snails had left the plant alone. The bulb had to be planted sideways in a big pot and it was of course brought inside and given the best of care.

And I had become a devoted Amaryllis-lover !!!

That autumn I bought some 30 bulbs. People who came to visit that Christmas walked into an Amaryllis-show when they entered my livingroom. - Great fun to look at their faces, with that "Now she's really lost her mind"-expression. :-) In the autumn of 2004 I bought some 20 bulbs.

This spring I pollinated some of my plants, and taking care of the seedlings is the main focus right now.

What's your "Amaryllis-story" ?

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio