SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

Fun book: Amaryllis and How to Grow Them (by Peggie Schulz)

grant_in_arizona
12 years ago

Hi all,

I mentioned in a different thread I went to a huge charity used book sale over in Phoenix this past weekend. It's one of the largest used book sales in North America and all proceeds go to charity (www.vnsabooksale.org). In any case, I picked up fifteen gardening books (plus one history book and one cook book) for seven dollars on Sunday (half off day). It was really fun and I've been going every year since 2000.

In any case, I imagine most of my fellow book-loving Hippsters have this book, but even so, I thought I'd just share a couple of pics since I thought it was fun, especially some of the older pics of named varieties. It's titled Amaryllis--and How to Grow Them, by Peggie Schulz. It was published in 1954 and is really fun (I picked up a general house plant book with lots of pics from 1908 and that one is really interesting too, to see what a "good" African violet is, or a clivia, etc).

Here are a few pics in case you're curious (yes, they were calling them all the genus Amaryllis in the book, which I'm sure you'll notice right away, LOL). There are lots of line drawings, and some nice bulb cut-aways too, but I thought these were the ones you might enjoy seeing the most. I hope you'll take a look and enjoy. :)

I'm putting the link to the picasa photo album at the bottom in case anyone has trouble viewing embedded pics.

Happy gardening!

Grant

{{gwi:383889}}

{{gwi:383891}}

'Richard Diener' HippeastruâÂÂm

{{gwi:383893}}

Left to right this is 'Fantasy' , 'Scarlet Leader', and 'Franklin Roosevelt'

{{gwi:383895}}

{{gwi:383897}}

{{gwi:383898}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of some plant books from charity used book sale

Comments (13)

More Discussions