SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Some bulbs I don't see at stores

I'm not a newbie to bulbs at all but have become very curious why there's only a small percentage of them ever available for sale - I think. I've rarely if ever seen Crinum, Lycoris, Camassia, Bletilla, Chrysothemis, Agapanthus, Zephyranthes, Anemone, and so many others for sale, even after moving farther south (OH to AL.)

It's the same Tulips, Daffs, Dahlias, Caladiums that gardeners usually obtain early in their 'career' and then have nothing more unusual to go to. The selection seems to be actually more limited here than it was in OH where the more traditional spring-flowering bulbs thrive. It's either too hot or cold for most of them, making the standard selection of packaged and potted bulbs even less unlikely for folks to find permanent garden additions, not just one-time'ers. (Not that there's anything wrong with that, just not what I'm into.)

I'm sure some aren't in bags, dormant, because they wouldn't like that, but isn't that why some are sold in pots anyway? It doesn't seem like these are rare, just not for sale at the average store. I'd love to shop at NOT average stores, but there are only a couple small ones within a reasonable distance.

I don't buy any plants online, where I know any of these could be found. I've obtained many of the bulbs I have from trading, so that's an option folks should be aware of, and has proved to offer much more bang for my buck too. Don't need suggestions of how to get them, just curious why I would have to do something more proactive than seeing what's for sale at a store to obtain some of these. It also seems like the neglectful style of selling at most BBS stores would lend itself well to so many bulbs, making their absence even more puzzling.

Is short bloom time a factor for some? Do they just not know folks would buy them? Am I not visiting stores often enough? Not early enough? Too late? Just not seeing them? Do you find other bulbs? If you think these are easy to find in the south, maybe I just need to do something different. Don't think I've ever gone plant shopping with a particular plant in mind, except veggie starts. I'm always there to see if there's anything I want, which is a very sporadic and impulsive thing for me.

I wonder how much of a factor of why they're missing from stores (if they really are) is that many lack well-known common names?

Any thoughts/opinions/anecdotes/facts welcome, in a general sense or about specific bulbs, even if you're not in the southeast US!

Comments (9)