SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wyndell_gw

Homemade Self water question

wyndell
16 years ago

I have question in making the self watering boxes. I'll let you know what happened last year so I can correct this year.

Last year, I built 2 self watering boxes following josho's instruction. I built it late in the year, around august, so I didn't get to try it all year. It did really well as far as being a late start. I did have a hard time trying to get the tomato's started. I had to top water them for a couple of weeks to keep them from dying (only killed 4 of the 8). I wasn't sure the wicking reached the top where the little plants were. Once they got going it did very well though. Here is the problem I had and want fix this year. When I cut the bottom and placed it in the tub, the potting mix fell between the outer tub and the inner tub. As a result, several times I filled the water box only to find water coming out the top. I finally figured out the mix was plugging my drain hole. I could poke a stick in the hole and water begin gushing out. Despite my stupidness, I still managed a few tomato's. This year I need to fix that. I am making around 20 of them because I may move this summer and want to take them with me. I have seen the ones where rather than turning the inner tub upside down, you just cut it short. The mix then stays inside the inner tub. I know there is a space all around the tub with that method. Does anyone know if it works as well or does water evaporate faster with this method? Could I just place towels or window blinds or something around the edge if I followed the original instructions. Just not sure how to make the rest of these.

I also saw where Al recommended STEM. I havn't found anything like that and figured I don't know what I'm looking for. I know they are micro nutrients, at least I think I know, lol. Can this be found at HD. BTW Al, I did find perlite. I walked into sutherlands and they had 4 big bags for $15 that had just arrived.

Comments (10)