SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pyramids_gw

New bonsai ficus nitida (would love some help)...

Pyramids
9 years ago

Hi everyone!

I love this forum. I'm new at all of the green thumb stuff, but just loving it. I got loads of help on my new ming aralia and it is just thriving. You'll see it in the photos :)

I just brought home a new bonsai ficus nitida. I hadn't planned on a bonsai, but I just fell in love with it. And I knew that any other bonsai just wouldn't like the indoors... so I green lit myself to take this one home.

It's big.

It's sitting in between my N-NW facing windows where the sun hits it mainly between 1:30pm-3:30pm directly. I have very bright indirect sunlight all day. I live in LA where it's quite nice all of the time. I do not have a/c, but open the windows when it gets hot. It's a bungalow, so I have windows on all sides.

I've never owned a bonsai before, so I'd love any newbie advice on when I should trim/prune. Also, should I use any fertilizer? If so, how often and any recommendations on types? Any recs on trimmers?

Watering. With my ming aralia, I put it in the sink and let it soak through three times - for about an hour - then make sure that all of the water has drained before putting it back in its corner. Should I water the bonsai the same way or leave it and water with a jar.

I will be googling and you tubing, of course, but I really learned a lot from the members here on my last plant and would love to hear from you all again :)

I was also thinking of trying to get the leaves a bit smaller, I forget what that's called, but I will google that as well. Unless you guys think that's a bad idea. It really is beautiful as is. I would be happy if it stayed the same :) Just love the root system.

Look for more pics below. I apologize for not retouching them, but I wanted you all to see the light as is.

Thanks!!

Comments (9)

Sponsored