SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smlechten

One Lone Perennial Tulip

smlechten
18 years ago

I have one lone perennial tulip (bright yellow bloom) that has survived on my back slope. Normally I spray vegetation killer and mulch this area. Since I noticed it this year, I'm thinking of saving it and moving it to an actual ornamental bed. I don't plant tulips and don't plan to in the future. I have a bed that gets say 3/4 sun in early-mid spring, and would be considered "partial shade" from summer - fall when my Japanese Maple is fully leafed out. I have very successful grape hyacinth and tete-a-tet daffs in this bed, and it's a very uncrowded bed. Last year I removed some hideous and annoying evergreen shrubs that were half dead, so I have lots of space. I am adding 20 summer daf bulbs, and considering putting this lone little tulip in this bed. So the question is, do you think the poor thing will look silly all by itself in a mostly daf/hyacinth bed with no other tulips? I'm not sure I have any other options at this point other than it's own pot on my deck - also gets sun. Currently the tulip is blooming in an area that gets full sun in early through mid-spring, but is totally shade once my several dozen oak, etc. trees leaf out by summer. I'm a very new, semi-reluctant, gardener so I really have no concept of plant needs or design/layout, aesthetics. I do like being outside and don't mind some outside work which is preferable to inside chores, but I do not yet really enjoy tending gardens, though it is growing on me. I mostly go for minimalist, and have removed more of my inherited plantings than I've added. I'd like the landscaping/plantings to look neat and maintained with the least effort possible, basically as long as it doesn't detract from the property I'm pretty happy at this point. I'm not looking for any award winning designs. I'm satisfied with no glaring errors or eyesores.

Thanks for the opinions.

Sherri

Comments (4)