SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meangreen_gw

did spider mites kill my jap maple??

MeanGreen
18 years ago

ok, i got a japanese maple around march, repotted it in a 3 gallon pot, and shortly after i got a lot of new green leaf growth on one of its branches(it splits like a Y - one side had some older purple eaves already on it - the other side was bare pretty much - but it grew green leaves like i previously mentioned)

ok i saw some webs on it weeks and weeks ago - and unfortunatly i didnt think much of it. those were on the lower part of it. then about 3 weeks ago the mites made there new home on the new growth/green leafy branch. i saw the mites and tried to treat them with hot pepper mix but it didnt do much. so i finally sprayed off the tree (its about 14in tall by the way ) and then spayed it with pyrithium (spelling?) before i cleaned them off the leaves for the most part looked pretty healthy, but now its obvious that they are shrivilling up and falling off!!

the other side of the tree (with the older - purple leaves seems to be doing fine though) am i goin to lose one of my main branches?? (1 of 2 - its Y shaped) or will i get new growth next year? i havent removed any of the small branches that were growing all over the plant so as to prevent shock in my first year) alot of those seem to be dying off as well!

i would post a pic but this sight doesnt have a pic bank to upload to!! (i think it definately should)

i've been misting the plant a lot to keep it from drying up, but its not helping much.

also the plant is in a compost mix and gets watered only once or twice a week (heavily)

can i induce more leaf growth? perhaps with a nitrogen boost(lightly) did these mites kill off part of my little tree? help!!!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!