SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greyslate

Thoughts on Blueberry Growing Medium?

greyslate
14 years ago

I wanted to survey the container community as a whole as far as blueberries in containers, in reference to soil alternatives. I would like to stay with soil alternatives, as I have better results in the two years working with it in containers as compared to several years with soil. (Many thanks to the splendid community here for all their assistance:) I currently have a Sunshine Blue in the gritty mix (1:1:1) and two Brunswick Maine now in the 5:1:1 (bark:peat:perlite).

The Sunshine was planted last spring and did fabulously, doubling or tripling in size for overall growth. However, the few berries I left on it (the vast majority I cut off so the bush could establish - just leaving a few for sampling) withered over the course of the summer.

The Brunswicks moped in the gritty mix, and were later transplanted to 5:1:1 with far better results.

I'm wondering what happened with the Sunshine blue's berries - too much vegetative growth shadowing out the berries? And the Brunswick? Not keeping up with the watering requirements of the gritty mix? I've heard that blueberries have odd root structure normally relying on mycorrhizae - and am honestly uncertain what soil alternative will be best. I am currently considering swapping out the current mixes to a 3:1 bark to turface for added moisture retention (since I can't seem to keep up). Thoughts?

Comments (4)