SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19697693

Guidance on small annual bed please!

User
9 years ago

We removed a dwarf conifer along our driveway and dumped a big pile of compost over the stump. I will plant something permanent in the fall, but right now I have the compost raked into a half circle about 5' x 5'. It suddenly occurred to me that that looks like a perfect annual bed. I've never had one and thought it might be fun to have lots of summer color along the driveway.

I don't have a lot of soil to dig into the compost, so I'll need to get some sandy loam to add to it. Will that be okay for annuals? Can I fertilize with fish fertilizer? I don't really want to add a salt-based fertilizer like Miracle Gro to the compost.

Now the fun part! What can I plant? It gets full sun, made even hotter being adjacent to the driveway. I have catmint, which reblooms, purple fall asters (shrubby looking until they bloom), and black-eyed Susan planted in a row up the driveway, and then the proposed annual bed. Golden oregano is planted on the outside curve (it circled the conifer), but I have been thinking about digging it out if it limits what I can do there. Otherwise, I thought something purple or blue in an arc behind the oregano, and then anything goes in the center. I'd rather keep the plantings under 18" tall.

Ideas? Photos of your annual beds appreciated!

Comments (7)