SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
likesivy

How big should holes be in kitty litter containers

likesivy
15 years ago

If I am going to plant in plastic kitty litter containers, how many holes should I make in the bottom? If I don't have a drill, can I use a hammer and large nail, or do I have to cut out bigger holes, like with a box cutter? The tubs are 12 inches high, with a footprint of 10 x 8 inches. Each one holds 31 pounds of litter, to give you an idea of mass.

I plan to get the planting medium (compost) at a recycling center, and want to carry it home in the same container I'll be planting in, so ideally, I'll have the holes in the buckets when I go to get compost. I live in hot and windy NC where the pots will dry out easily mid summer, so I don't want too many holes or too big holes, but I don't want the roots getting waterlogged either.

I like the suggestions that have popped up on this forum when I did a kitty litter search, especially on ways to pretty up the project -- like painting the exterior, or covering it with fabric or paper.

Another question. Does anyone have a method of anchoring these babies to the ground? Our wind blows our grill off the deck, so it could knock over the containers.

It would be great to see some photos of these container gardens.

Comments (13)