SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
philic1013

Beginner's Questions

philic1013
19 years ago

Hi-

Decided that the 4th floor NNW balcony of my apartment needs some life, and it overlooks a bowling alley parking lot, what a view! Anyways, I'd like to get something setup this week, relatively inexpensively. I know i'll need windowboxes to hang on the railing, and some pots or non-hanging window boxes to house a few other things. I'd like to grow some vines (going to go with the fishing line method) that'll grow pretty quick and flower in a variety of color. In addition to that, anything that is easy, but not lazy to maintain. I'm not looking for anything edible, so that rules out the herbs/spices/fruits/veggies, but I'd like to see some more complex flowers grow in small numbers to contrast the simple and larger amount of flowers i'll get off the vines. It's mostly shade and indirect sunlight, with about a third of the balcony getting decent sunlight half of the day (that'll be part of whats in the windowbox hanging on the rail.

I'd love to hear some suggesstions and have read up and alot of the ones already made. I'm not sure where locally to pick this kind of stuff up besides the local home depot or whatnot, whose selection is limited. However, I've very keen on internet commerce and if anyone can name some places online that I can find most of this, besides the window boxes and potting soil (waste of shipping) I'd love to know. I looked at a few of the shopping sites I found and nobody had more then 2 or 3 of the types of things people are suggessting. So, what should I grow, where can I buy it online? Oh!, and I'm assuming that most of this is grown by seeds, and that early june isnt too late to start? Just showing that I'm very new at all this.

Thanks!

Andrew

Comments (6)

Sponsored