SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vgtar

Squash - Iron deficiency or dâ£wny mildew?

VGtar
10 years ago

I've got this squash plant with some yellow spotted leaves. It had spend it's childhood in a small shallow dish with a commercial sowing medium. It was the first of the sown seeds to germinate. -The yellowing started a few weeks ago, and I put it off as iron deficiency, since it REALLY needed to get into a big container with good nutrient rich soil. HOWEVER, I saw images yesterday of downy mildew, and I have to say, downy mildew and iron deficiency looks VERY similar in my eyes! Does anyone know how to spot the difference?
I repotted the thing five days ago. The first few days, all the leaves on the plant have gotten droopy in the daytime, but perked up again in the evening. Today, I noticed though, that it is getting less droopy. I guess, these babies, don't like getting their roots disturbed, but even so, it has grown about 30% since I put it into it's new container.

If this is iron deficiency, will the leaves turn green again, or will they stay yellow?

❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁

Whole plant:
{{gwi:2525}}

❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀

New leaves look fine (sorry about the tilt, I just noticed it now ツ
{{gwi:2527}}

☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼

Closeup of the biggest of the affected leaves
{{gwi:2529}}

❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂

Closeup of a healthy leaf:
{{gwi:2531}}

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Backside of a yellow leaf (looks fine to me, apart from the discolouration):
{{gwi:2533}}

❋❋❋❋❋❋❋❋❋❋

I think the white spots (mostly seen on the big leaf to the right) are water/dust marks.
{{gwi:2535}}

✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿

{{gwi:2537}}

♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬♪♫♬

The white spots on this little yellow leaf, are not dust/water splashes, but dead cells:
{{gwi:2538}}

♚♚♚♚♚♚♚♚♚♚

back of leaf:

{{gwi:2539}}

☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮

Click this link, if you want to see bigger versions.

So, to sum up: Is this downy mildew or iron deficiency? How do I know the difference?
IF it is iron deficiency, will the leaves turn yellow, now that the plant has a a good soil and more room?

VG

❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃

*EDIT: I forgot to tell you that the weather has been exceptionally cold this spring, and that it didn't heat up until about a week ago, which makes me think, that perhaps it's too early for downy mildew? -I've never had it on my balcony before, so I'm thinking that if my plants where to get it, then wouldn't the fungus spores first be carried with the wind after a couple of weeks with warm weather?

This post was edited by vgtar on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 20:37

Comments (2)

Sponsored