SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
squeeziemonkey

Tomatoes in Peat Pots with White Mold! Please Help!!!

squeeziemonkey
19 years ago

I started 2 kinds of tomatoes from seed, Lemon Boys and Cherry, and they are about 4 inches tall and doing well in peat pots with seed starter mix but I think I have over watered them and am starting to see white spots of mold on the sides What should I do? Is this mildew? I heard somewhere that Milk will kill the mold but I donÂt want the smell of old milk in my kitchen!

I have put them near a leaky window to dry out but I donÂt want my new babyÂs to die before I even get them on the patio! The peat has dried but I put some water crystals in the mix so the mold might be living inside the soil!!

Are there any natural, non-chemical, means of getting rid of the mold or should I go to Home Depot and buy something? If I should buy something, any brand/ingredient recommendations?

I need to keep them inside until the weather stabilizes and they are big enough to not grow up along the pot when I put them out so they will be kept inside for at least a month.

I am going to grow them upside down hanging from the patio above mine (I have their permission! LOL!) in hanging baskets so that no animals can get to them and with any luck not as many fruits will soil rot like the plants on the roof.

I got a great deal on very attractive hanging baskets lined with coconut/plastic matting. I paid about $3.50 each at Walmart! I was going to use plastic buckets like a lot of websites do but that is kinda ugly and my neighbors would complain.

When I put them out I will update the post to tell you all how my experiment is going but unless I kill the mold they wonÂt make it that far!!

Please help!

Thanks!

Comments (2)

Sponsored