SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
squeeziemonkey

Strawberries, Blue Berries, the Weather, and Rodents!

squeeziemonkey
19 years ago

K, well, this is the first year I will try to make a patio garden in Chicago and of course it has to be the coldest, most horrible, spring in history so I need some advice on what to do!

1. Strawberries

I ordered strawberries through a plant catalog and they are in Indiana so their weather is just as bad as mine and they say that they donÂt want to ship them to me until June but they are June-Bearing Strawberries and I donÂt know if they will have enough time to do their Strawberry thing! Any advice on how to make them mature faster once I get them and, hopefully, the weather straightens out? I got a package deal and they are coming with Strawberry Fertilizer and I have some Blossom Set Spray that I can use on both the tomatoes and the strawberries but how do I get the fastest growth out of them so that they can get to the bloom stage starting so late!

And how much room does a strawberry plant need? I live downtown and live above a restaurant so I have rodents outside that I have seen on my patio before so I am going to take a hanging plastic shoe organizer and layer gravel, moss, and soil in the pouches and put either 1 or 2 plants where each shoe goes and hang that from the patio above me anchored to the wall at the bottom. I think they would then be high enough up so that the rats and the squirrel that lives under the stairs will have a much harder time getting to them! Is that enough soil/space? The berries will hang over the lip of the pocket so they wonÂt rot sitting on soil. My strawberries are nifty hybrids, ½ of them are supposed to grow as big as peaches and the other ½ are supposed to have huge berries that taste like peaches.

Any advice?

2. Blueberries

I have also ordered 2 dwarf blueberry plants from them and the same goes for them. How long does it take for Blueberries to do their blueberry thing? They will be in pots though, not in with the strawberries. Do you think that the Blossm Set Spray would work on them too? They say Tomatoes and Strawberries right on the bottle but I donÂt know what else I can use it on!

Any ideas on how to keep the rodents off the blueberries? A netting or something? Could I grow the Blueberries Upside Down like Tomatoes? Then I can hang them from the patio above!

Thanks guys!

Comments (6)

Sponsored