SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luxum

Balcony musings

luxum
19 years ago

Hi balconeers! I don't really have a question, looking more for general comments/advice/opinions.

Lately, i've been considering my balcony - what works, what doesn't, what i want to do differently this year. I moved to another unit in the same complex, the balcony is the same footprint and faces the same direction (east), but gets a bit more sun due to less tree cover.

So - what works? Well, for me, it seems that neoregelia bromeliads are fabulous in the window box that hangs off the balcony railing. They look great in the rainy summer and great in the dry winter, needing only minimal protection from our rare freezes. Other good performers are sanseverias of all sorts (i have a large pot on the floor of the tall mottled green leaf variety, and several small pots of the birdnest types, along with other small succulents on a corner baker's rack), a large Christmas cactus in a hanging basket (takes conditions well and blooms like crazy in January/February), and my philodendron Xanadu. What doesn't work? My bald cypress. It grows well in the summer, but i can't stand it's deciduous nature. All winter it looks like a dead stick and everyone that walks out there cracks on it! I think i'm going to ditch it, but i feel really bad, i wish i knew someone who might want it. Other things that don't work - small pots! Too much watering! Unfortunately, i have not had much luck with flowers (previously, not enough sun although i think that issue is possibly solved now, but also too hot/humid/wet summer followed by very hot/dry fall) and i think that the bromeliads are a better source of color for me. In the window box their spiney edges aren't much of a concern since it's impossible for anyone to brush against them.

The real problem i have is more a design issue i suppose. I've never really approached the balcony in the right way i think. Instead of planning a ~garden~, i've made a specimen collection. I want to fix that this year, and i think the key is repeating elements. So here's my plan, tell me what you think. I'm going to get more of what works! Another matching windowbox, and i'll order some more neoregelias for it. This is the bulk of the display color, although i do have one large bowl shaped pot dedicated to annuals - currently some yellow and red kalanchoes, but i'll replace them once the blooms fade. Any ideas for that container? I'm thinking symmetry is the only approach that will work well in the space, and repeating the window box with similar foliage will accomplish that. Then - another pot of tall sanseveria for the other side of the balcony. The pot i have now is the basic mottled kind, i'm thinking i could get the kind with the yellow leaf edges for a little variety but the same leaf shape. I recently bought a curly leafed croton, and i think i might go back for one more of those as well. Do you think that repeating elements like this will lend a more unified feel, more like a "real" garden? Or will the symmetry and repeating elements and plants make it boring?

Comments (9)

Sponsored