SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
veggiefaery

Hello (New to Forum)

veggiefaery
14 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I just joined the this forum. This is my second year of vegetable gardening. Some how I don't feel any smarter this time around. Last year I planted cucumbers, lettuce and carrots because I just wanted to see if I could grow things without killing them. Wouldn't you know, everything grew much to my amazement. Of course I learned about lettuce bolting the hard way (yuck!).

This year, I have gone crazy. I have what my husband and I refer to as a step garden on the south side of our house. Once I figure out how to post pictures, I'll be happy to show and tell. I also conned my husband into putting in a shade garden for my broccoli and cauliflower. Next year I'll add my peas, spinach, and lettuce there. And on my balcony deck I have a small herb garden. Last count, I put in 19 different types of vegetables, 12 herbs, and three different kinds of fruit. So far nothing has failed, fingers crossed.

With these tough economic times, and me recently losing my job, I love that I have food growing right in my back yard. There is definitely a thrill in watching all my seeds sprout into seedlings and then finally producing healthy, pesticide and herbicide, free food.

I used to work with a woman who has been gardening for years. Now that I have lost my job, I have also lost my source for good gardening tips. I am hoping by joining this forum, I can tap into other veteran gardeners' vast knowledge of gardening.

Comments (14)