SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeni_langenecker

What should I do with this livingroom?

Jeni Langenecker
9 years ago
I don't want to get rid of this fireplace but I like light and bright. Limited budget help!

Comments (48)

• Jeni Langenecker
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Willing to change wall colors and what not. I want to strip beams back to natural wood.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    9 years ago
    Another option is painting the beams a more 'natural' color as striping the current paint color would be quite labor intensive.
  • Related Discussions

We bought microfiber living room set. What should I do to protect

Q

Comments (1)
    Microfiber that I've ever worked on cleans wonderfully -- all fabrics should clean that easily. Many fabrics are treated at the mill with fabric protectors. If it's offshore -- all bets are off. Some retailers will treat all upholstered goods before delivery. I hot water extract most stains. The technique on microfiber is to agitate with a soft brush. An extremely soft toothbrush would work really well and may be enough that you can just dry-vac up the debris. Every stain has certain cleaners it responds to. I have about 25 different cleaning solutions I use to spot clean. For "Unknown" stains, I just have to start with the most likely and work my way through until one of them works. Usually I can tell by looking, but sometimes I get fooled -- blood can look like chocolate can look like rust. But they take different cleaners. A couple of things that don't do well with microfiber * hot - cigarette embers, incense and candles can all melt the fabric * claws -- puncture wounds, e.g., from cat claws, don't heal up the way they would in woven fabrics. Here is a link that might be useful: sample cleaning
    ...See More

Help wit h lliving room windows

Q

Comments (2)
    I'm sorry, I can't figure out how to dowmload pictures. I'll try to figure it out.
    ...See More

What should I paint this living room fireplace?

Q

Comments (46)
    Getting lots of comments on the built-in....think 1970s built-in...it needed to go. The bottom cabinets were about 2 feet deep, and took up too much of that wall, plus didn't allow for a nice accent chair. Of course we would've assumed that they had built the fireplace properly instead of not finishing the stone around. I would much prefer wood floors, but DH doesn't want hard surfaces everywhere...I know the wood would hold up better long term and be better for resale.. I think I am going to have him put up a wood piece on the bad side. Eventually we might do some nice smaller scale built ins...but the other built in needed to go before flooring. I will make a mantle box probably with a nice corbel on the bottom on each side. The fireplace cover definitely needs to go. I do like the idea of painting the inside of the fireplace a matte black...and I can look for a different "fire" for inside the fireplace. I will find a nice picture or mirror for above the fireplace, and decorate the mantle ledge. Hopefully with a nice paint color and the rest of the room decorated, the fireplace will be nice. Thank you everyone for your replies. Beverly-is your first photo and the one next to it a before and after? I would love a link to that if you have it...I do like the grayish green color they painted the mantle and the corbels under the mantle. Thanks!
    ...See More

Where Do I put my tv and how should I arrange my living room? Help!!

Q

Comments (5)
    Can you return it and get a smaller one? (I admit I think your fireplace wall is lovely and I personally wouldn't ruin it with a television. But I am a tiny minority who has lived without television for almost 30 years.) Is there another room in which to put it, or do you prefer to use this room for watching it?
    ...See More
  • Jeni Langenecker
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    What do you think of the fireplace? It is so massive but I don't want to get rid of it. Thinking of whitewashing it and painting wall a neutral gray tone. I wish I could cut it in half but have never attempted something that large before.
  • Jeni Langenecker
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Additional pics
  • Jeni Langenecker
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Additional pics
  • maryw561
    9 years ago
    Replace the brick and drywall the wall and put up stacked stone around the fireplace. Paint the ceiling between the beams a soft tan. If the beams are decorative I'd take them out, otherwise I agree about making them look more like natural wood.
  • mefor
    9 years ago
    I'd paint the fireplace to match the walls and bring in the color with the furnishings. That will be very light and bright. I wouldn't strip or paint the beams. Better to blend in, or remove if they're not structural.
  • scbeachgirl45
    9 years ago
    Hello Jeni.... Why don't we first start with what is your "style"? By this I mean to say what makes you feel happy/calm to be around ie: by the sea, in the woods, contempory?
  • Mary Dillon
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I'd paint the brick surround a lighter but still contrasting color but also, as someone said above, drywall the area to the right of FP and maybe also DW over mantel. Probably also lower mantel if feasible, Agree waaay too much trouble to strip beams, but also if you use paint instead, you get better color control. You could pick a color pretty close to the floor and experiment with painting just the bottoms of the beams versus whole beam -- if you don't like, another couple of coats will put it back!

Also, what about finishing out door trim below mantel and doing similar on other side?

How lucky you are to have a raised hearth! I love perching right next to the fire...cushions? And a great spot to showcase your favorite objects.
  • Jeni Langenecker
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The beams run throughout the house. I want to keep them. We haven't moved into the house yet so I am not sure about whether they are structural.
  • Jeni Langenecker
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I would say my style is clean, neutral with slight pops of color. I want my house to be comfortable with unique pieces throughout. I am really into the show/style of Fixer Upper. I was worried about the door casing as well. I think it looks silly only half way around the door. I also wasn't sure how to decorate that long of a fireplace. I have never had a fireplace so that will be a new adventure for me. As you can see in the additional pictures there is a big whole (purposely) in the wall that I am thinking of fill. I need furniture placement in that room and to the far left is a row of windows that leads to the indoor pool. I am worried that I will have too much going on in the room with the big fireplace, beams and large pool view so maybe keeping the beams the same is a good idea.
  • maryw561
    9 years ago
    I do like the concept that "mefor" has shown you here, but I agree with "scbeachgirl45". What is your style? If you don't know, start looking through design magazines and rip out the pages of the ones you like best. You'll start to see a style come through. You have to be happy living with whatever you do.
  • Jeni Langenecker
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here are a couple different views & 1 of the pool area which is going to need to be completely updated.
    Skylights at top covered right now. Also attaching 2 styles I like.
  • Jeni Langenecker
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Pics
  • Mary Dillon
    9 years ago
    Yr photo from kitchen shows how beams go all through, so I am thinking it wd look funny if you painted the ones in the LR and not the ones in the kitchen -- it cd be can of worms! And also agreeing that if you paint them, it cd wind up too busy. Also, I see what you mean about the "hole in the wall," but am thinking you could do something interesting with it instead of just covering it up -- reading nook? Recessed shelving? TV? Sconces set into mirrored back? Recessed desk like one shown in yr blue-and-apple-green photo>? Room currently so empty it looks enormous, hard to visualize how furniture can fit, but looks like sofa wd go either facing FP, pulled forward toward it enough to leave passageway from door, or else at right angle to FP facing pool window, again pulled forward from door wall to help break up the long brick wall (would a desk fit under front window, either looking out window or backed up to sofa, facing across to pool window?) And both those pictures you like show L-shaped sectionals -- how about one of those, to occupy both spots? I think you absolutely can get this look you like in that room...
  • Jeni Langenecker
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The room is a bit awkward with the layout. We have a 55 inch that would look awkward in there. I was debating on dry walling it and mounting my tv there. I honestly didn't realize both photos I shared had a sectional. More so comfortable looking and styles/colors. Whatever I do to the beams I want to carry through to the dining room. I was debating on something similar to this but not with the blue being so bright more neutral. This is a rough and I really mean rough version from my iPad. Do you think it is too much with the beams being white? I want them to pop a tad but I think against a light light blue it won't be too much.
  • Jeni Langenecker
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Also fyi my kitchen will be white cabinets with white subway tiles so the colors will transition into there okay as well.
  • acm
    9 years ago
    wait, you just repainted blue, or repainted *from* blue? the brick looks a totally different color now -- how did you do that?!? or is this photoshop? I don't love the white trim in this room, on either beams or doors, as it just makes things busy. I think those beams will be plenty present no matter what you do, and you don't need these kind of features to press down on you.l

anyway, given that this is a narrow room, I think I'd try to find a way to put your TV to the right of the fireplace, so that you can put one grouping of furniture in the room, centered on that wall (with the back of the couch forming a hallway from the front door). this is all assuming that there isn't a den somewhere else...
  • Jeni Langenecker
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    No I just did that with an app on my iPad. I am thinking of going that route. I painted the doors and beams white as I will have a lot of white accent with touches of blue and probably light green. I want it to feel light and airy. I painted the brick in a way to make it appear white washed with the app also.
  • Mary Dillon
    9 years ago
    i want that app! What is it?
  • Jeni Langenecker
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Paint tester it's really basic. You just choose your color put it where you want and erase the accidents. Lol
  • Mary Dillon
    9 years ago
    Neat, thanks! But about that blue... to me the blue is fighting the style of the FP, even recolored. If you're intent upon blue, I'd try a paler version, and while you're at it, can you "un-brick" the right side of the fireplace wall and do it the same color? Can you make the mortar the same color as the brick in either case, as it wd be if you painted the brick?
  • sallyann1may
    9 years ago
    Looking at your style, paint the fireplace brick white - leave the beams white and paint the rest of the room (including the ceiling) a color that you want to accent. Looks like you prefer solid colors with bright, cheerful accents. Pick a lighter shade of your accent color for the walls. I love the hole - what an opportunity to add shevles and fill with books and pretty things you love!
  • sallyann1may
    9 years ago
    Hard to tell from the pics, but I agree, float the couch in front of the fireplace, behind the couch a sofa table with lamps for a cozy place to read. If you have room, place two arm chairs with a table in front of your new library (hole in wall) for a great place for puzzles, coffee or a glass of wine. Add pillow in the chairs that match your accent color.
  • sallyann1may
    9 years ago
    I agree with Mary - whatever you do with the beams in this room, you will need to do the same in the other rooms since they are visible - also consider whatever colors you use in this rooms, you need to carry into the other rooms to give a cohesive flow. Have fun - looks like a great project.
  • ycity
    9 years ago
    Hi!! The first picture posted by mefor is one of my all time favorite houzz pictures, and have always loved the look of white painted brick. The built-in is cool too- would be a great place for shelving/tv unit.
  • Mary Dillon
    9 years ago
    ...but I totally get acm's idea about putting the TV to the right of the FP; will make enjoying both at the same time a lot more comfortable (although fitting sectional cd be a challenge). Do you already have furniture you're hoping to use?
  • PRO
    Jennifer A. Emmer/Feng Shui Style
    9 years ago
    I say keep the brick (original is always best) - and whitewash it if you like. But let the brick show through. Once you color the beams natural, they will tie in with the mantel, and then the beams and mantel will become the dark elements, and the fireplace the light element. Then you can play with color on the walls.

May I ask where this LR is in relation to the house? (SW, NW, etc).
  • Mary Dillon
    9 years ago
    ALL those pictures mefor posted are white painted brick, except #4. I'm thinking if you want a cool color, like blue, you will HAVE to paint the brick, I mean with real paint, mortar same as brick. If you choose a warmer color, you may be able to get away with contrast of brick v mortar, but on the whole, the room is already plenty busy -- and it's not even furnished yet! Painting the brick will definitely help with that. You still get nice texture.
  • sallyann1may
    9 years ago
    Yes, love the idea of hanging the TV on the other side of the fireplace - make something awkard and asset!
  • Beth Scheel
    9 years ago
    I'm no pro, but my personal impression after seeing the blue between the beams is that I prefer the ceiling and beams all white. Looks too busy or striped or something.

I tend toward rustic, so I would like the natural brick and a warm color, but the photos with the white painted brick look pretty good and like your style.
  • Mary Dillon
    9 years ago
    So, LOL, here I am again, this is Bothering Me! I think the problem is, EITHER you want a pale, serene, airy look to go with yr blue and the 2 photos you liked, in which case you will paint the brick and the ceiling consistently white or some other pale color, OR you want a warmer, more rustic look, in which case you can keep the natural brick and keep some contrast with the beams (although in that case you'd really do better with a warmer color AND you still have to think what to do with the other beams). It may be that baby blue and natural brick or even whitewashed brick can work together, but I'm not seeing it. Either way, I'm thinking that the LONG brick wall is overpowering and that it wd benefit by the symmetry introduced by extra trim around the FP and drywalling the remainder to its right. CROP the mantel -- too much horizontal -- and lower the remainder if you can, to make room for the TV or some nice artwork above.

Also, cd you consider a way to get the pool window frame more in line with the other windows colorwise, and/or is it a possibility to paint the black fireplace elements, or do you like the black?
  • mefor
    9 years ago
    If you were to go with the all white, I actually like the length of the mantel and brick wall, I think adding vertical lines to shorten it would just add more busyness and make things a bit choppy. It feels nice and open the way it is now, it's just the color of the brick that makes it a bit awkward.
  • scbeachgirl45
    9 years ago
    o.k Jen here it goes..... Since I don't think you would be successful in taking the trim around the door off successfully (brick to fireplace would be missing) I would bookcase the whole left side wall of the door and carry it over the top of the fireplace to top of the mantel just to where the stove ends and then do some storage cabinets so it is kitty corner to the stove for an offset effect - do this in white or off white, and paint the mantel too. The section below the mantel - between the bricked angle arms - can be more shelves or combination of shelves and door storage to completely take up the hearth area - or you could wainscot it and put an accenting colorful seat cushion. As for the beams just remember that if you do anything to the ceiling/beam with color it will elongate your eye to the length of the room - this might be a really cool way to tie your accent color from your pillows, etc. while drawing your eyes up and around the room ... example pale celadon ceiling with white beams... or light grayish blue (more gray) ceiling, white beams. Beams should be same color as shelves and trim unless you want to use another pale accent color. TV placement might be tricky but still looking at photos. Do you have any from the fireplace to the kitchen area? Where does the door go next to the inset?
  • scbeachgirl45
    9 years ago
    Would it be possible to wall up the large window next to the door to put a nice TV area there? I also would replace the old style door and put in french doors with nice trim.
  • scbeachgirl45
    9 years ago
    Last comment might have been confusing - I was talking about the window left of the hallway opening by the fireplace... I think that one goes to the pool room?
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    Hi!
    Traditional Dining Room · More Info

Kiawah Island · More Info

a little much, but you can see that someone covered up a section over kitchen....different style but posting fyi
    Caswell County Retreat · More Info

another reference photo, showing these beams in different configuration, not lengthwise? - I'd like yours as they are I think???
    Bedroom · More Info

Kitchen · More Info
  • PRO
    ACT ONE DESIGNS
    9 years ago
    I like your space! I would whitewash the fireplace, paint mantel white, go WHITE everywhere, including ceiling beams, then use bright colors on furnishings and accessories. I love the colorful photos you've selected, Jeni! Light blue walls look good too. Good luck!
  • Jeni Langenecker
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I will be purchasing all new furniture for the room. I want the fireplace ever white washed or white as I am not a fan of that much natural brick. I don't want to close up the window to the pool as that is one of my favorite features of the house. I am thinking a very pale blue/grey for the livingroom and carrying into the dining room. I will keep my beams consistent throughout the house. I am a little weary put the tv next to the fireplace because just my preference I feel like it would make the room unbalanced in a sense (personal feelings). I need to cover up that built in because other wise I will not have anywhere to place the tv. The door next to the built in is just a closet. There is also the option of closing that front door up as well (there is another entrance point at the front of the house as well.) I will need to update all windows in the house but that is a project for a later date. I hope I answered as many questions as I could. Our main undertaking is the lanai area since it is completely bare. I like the idea of possible covering part of the fireplace with drywall, or getting rid of it. At the same time it is nice for additional seating as we are always entertaining.
  • Jeni Langenecker
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Okay here is an update. I edited the photo more per some of your suggestions. This is a rough edit I did on my iPad only. Opinions? (Fyi I couldn't add curtains. It looked weird every time. I would do sheer curtains.) I left the black on the fireplace and added in some industrial touches with the furniture.
  • stryker
    9 years ago
    Keep the ceiling and beams white, whitewash or paint the brick, and mount the tv to the right of the fireplace. Get rid of the mantle altogether. I don't know how, with the seating as above, the fireplace or the tv can be focused on.
  • Mary Dillon
    9 years ago
    Jeni, that really looks pretty nice! I do like the ceiling monochrome, and cropping the mantel relieved my own eye, at least; you wouldn't have to crop the seating ledge at the same time, if you want some extras for Gatherings. If you hate the built-in niche, by all means get rid of it -- your preference, your house! And I do think the black of the TV helps balance the black of the FP. Please do not eliminate the FP, such a great, warm, comforting feature for any house. The chairs in yr picture do a nice job of carrying out the pool theme, and the ceiling pendant looks well, too, although I suggest just trying it a little bit lower. Also you have room for a longer sofa, which wd correspond in length with adding a low table between the 2 chairs, and the coffee table cd be a bit longer. I still think you might try making the FP surround all white, since you have such a Kool Tool and can just make a pic to see how you like it --wd maybe balance you white console under TV a little better. I'm betting white sheers with pewter rods wd be perfect.

Last concerns: (1) something about that exterior door is really not going with yr room -- so "colonial!" A more contemporary version, letting in more light (not that your window needs more), or maybe as you said eliminate it if you have a better use for that space? A big comfy reading chair with good floor lamp and a green plant or two (plants wd bear out pool theme)? (2) a splashy print on the sofa, along the lines of fabrics shown in yr 2 preferred photos above, since yr curtains will be monochrome? (3) rug looks a bit too vivid from here, even though it seems to match wall art on left beyond FP -- you cd go paler with some advantage, I'm guessing (4) corner the full-length mirror a little more, and if eliminating door, do same in opposite corner, and finally (5) last but not least, consider how this room will look/feel at night. Ceiling light tends to be harsh, and you show only one lamp. Dropping ceiling light will help, but what about (a) 2 lamps on a longer desk under front window, (b) a lamp table to left of doorway by FP, since there's not room to left of FP, and (c) narrow console to right of FP to hold lamp, if you're doing away with seating ledge there?
  • Craig CraigMDesigns
    9 years ago
    Keep your beams white so they don't make the ceiling down and heavy. You inspiration pics show bright white interiors so stick with that and whitewash your brick and mantel before you try out wall colors. Your room is wonderful and that alcove will make a wonderful bookcase display area. Love your color inspirations and starting with the white surroundings will give you a true read of your accent colors. Good luck!
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    i think this looks similar to one of the rooms i designed
  • PRO
    ACT ONE DESIGNS
    9 years ago
    I would keep the large fireplace wall to wall, whitewashing it and i'd put the TV to the right of the fireplace opening. Also, you could use the alcove for a reading niche, put a large piece of artwork in the space as well with some soft lighting. Here are some photos... If you're still decided on putting the TV on the opposite wall, you could make a built-in. More ideas for the alcove here...
  • PRO
    ACT ONE DESIGNS
    9 years ago
    more alcove ideas...