SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glovely

HELP! I fell in love with granite I can't afford...

glovely
9 years ago
I had no idea as I went shopping for granite that no one would tell us the prices, prices are only told to fabricators and contractors. So my husband and I finally found granite we both loved! I got curious about pricing and did some "googling"... it appears we have fallen in love with something which is like GOLD. I saw on an online site this green fusion granite might be $8000 a slab! What can I do? Is there some way to get something like this for WAAAY less money?

Comments (138)

• PRO
    sstarr93
    9 years ago
    This is an attractive piece of stone, but does not go with the shaker-style doors which apparently are intended for this kitchen.
    Overall, a simpler stone would be more appropriate for the door style. This active stone should be paired with very modern cabinetry, in my opinion.

I also feel that fads in granite countertops cycle about every five years.... in 2006, the only granite that was desirable was essentially black. Figured stone was universally rejected. Busy patterns in countertops at that point signified cheap granite. But now, that has been turned on its head.

So be careful about this purchase unless money is no object; several short years down the road, this same stone may be seen as undesirable.
    glovely thanked sstarr93
  • marjie1059
    9 years ago
    glovely:
    Your view is astounding, totally lovely. I would want to look out the windows all day. I do think your choice of granite would flow well with the view under certain conditions. The granite would have to be your focal point of the room. I have seen photos of many kitchens with beautiful things in them, whether cabinets, floor, lighting, counters, whatever. But the room did not look good because the homeowner did not choose these things in conjunction with each other. You cannot have a showy floor and counter and everything else. So have the showy island granite--but the other features in the room need to not grab one's attention. If other things vie for one's attention, that takes away from the beauty of the granite, which is not what you want to do.
    The company from whom I purchased our granite rated everything from A to Z regarding price. No price was listed, since fabricators set their own price. But the fabricator told me he had three price levels of price, which gave me a good idea of how to estimate my cost. He doesn't charge extra for any of four edges (Lowe's would only do one "free"), and charges by the square foot, not the entire slab. He measured my kitchen for templates; I went to his shop to review with him which part of which slab (there were two) would be used for what part of my kitchen (I actually have four counters, but total being, if I recall correctly, 25 sf), 3 installers took the better part of a morning to put them in, and we were done. I was very satisfied. I understand the frustration regarding the pricing system, but I also understand the warehouse/yard's reluctance to give prices. One main reason is that the price may be stone only; or stone plus labor; or stone, labor, edge, and cutout. If there is not an industry-wide standard for fabricators' pricing, the yard must do it the way it is set up now.
    glovely thanked marjie1059
  • Related Discussions

I can't believe I fell for.....

Q

Comments (32)
    Flowergirl, the nana dwarf nandina died? I got one too, it was in pot in basement last winter. But I read and read and it claims it loses leaves at 10 degrees, but it's supposedly hardy to zone 5.. no??? I used to have a ton on Malva Zebrina, from seed. This year one survived, in a wierd spot from a bird. The rabbits ate most. At this point in the year, I don't know if it will have time to flower (and get more seeds).. .the rabbit tore away at it.. Garden mags, like aimekitty...don't get me started. lois, years ago I got 3 bouncing betty soapworts. Yes, they are double, yes fragrant, they take over the yard and then some... And the plants I bought, and just don't have the energy to put in... or the rabbits eat so they are in pots... I too DESPISE STAKING, and so much this year wanted...something... "Fell for"... some things, but I vented enough
    ...See More

Finally saw backsplash I love, can't find pic in gallery; help?

Q

Comments (8)
    I found it, I found it, I found it! Searched "granite, anyone?" on google, and there it was. I can't figure out how to get the pic from there to here, though. We have a freestanding range so there's no way to put something fancy behind the range, and this suits me perfectly. If anyone wants to see it, it's in a pic in the Home Galleries called Red Granite, anyone? The granite is Red Dragon. It's posted by krislrob. Thanks, all, for your help.
    ...See More

I fell in love with some granite---help!!

Q

Comments (26)
    So, the granite yard is bringing in 4 slabs of my dark typhoon bordeaux (it is unlike any typhoon bordeaux I have ever seen!) I attached a pic a while back, but I don't know how to embed it?? My husband and I were planning a granite outing on 11/14, as hes off work....turns out, there is another potential buyer for the 2 slabs I don't take. The yard is giving us first choice (as they should!)...so I am going today with my KD to select 2 of the 4. Then, will go back with hubby next week so he can approve them!!! I am so excited!! I will definately take pics of "my" slabs, and make sure they are tagged per GW's recommendations!
    ...See More

I can teach, but I can't decorate. Small cabin remodel - help needed!

Q

Comments (1)
    1. What color and type/brand of flooring would you recommend? Looking for a "wood look" flooring that will stand up to big dogs, dripping kids and is budget friendly and scratch resistant. No wood flooring will every hold up to big dogs. You'd be better off going with a wood look tile. They're not the cheapest, but they hold up well and won't need replacing after a few wet dogs run thru your new cabin. 2. What type and color of counter tops? Should the island and counter tops be the same or different colors? I love the look of quart, but would be interested in more affordable options that would hold up well. Since you say you're going for cozy, I'd suggest using the same color for a more harmonious space. Changing the color works well in larger spaces in my opinion. 3. The rectangular game table will be placed near the entry door. Looking for furniture placement ideas and decorating ideas. Not sure about this one, sorry. 4. What should I do on the wall with the fireplace. My husband is hanging a television at the top...ugh! Between the windows? The backlighting is going to be a pain to look at while watching dark shows. Please also be careful about curtains at those windows so close to the fireplace. 5. What color appliances? If budget allows, you can get "panel-ready" appliances and you can put in wood paneling. That could be great for a cozy cabin look. If budget is an issue, then I'd go with stainless steel, should match well with a rustic cabin feel.
    ...See More
  • marjie1059
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Pataya: I think you have a valid point in what you have said in your comments. I detect frustration on your part, which comes across as anger. If those comments were directed at me, I would feel scolded. I speculate you have dealt with some difficult people, but as someone who doesn't have a background in stone, and who is just an average homeowner, I would appreciate helpful information, including cautions, that doesn't seem condescending. We can all benefit from advice from those with expertise and/or experience.
  • PRO
    Darla Scheuerman
    9 years ago
    Find a way, finance it, I know that LOVE! You will never be happy with something else. There is nothing better than coming home to a house you LOVE!
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    9 years ago
    there are some granites that rare and when they are the price goes up! there is always a chance that another mountain is found a somewhere in the world....but you might have a long wait! So depending on how much you love it...it's your call.
  • Kivi
    9 years ago
    The companies that wholesale slabs have customers....and those customers are not joe public. Those customers are for the most part ....fabricators. So why be surprised that they won't disclose their wholesale price structures? When you walk in to a nice jeweler do you feel entitled to know what the jeweler paid for that lovely gem that they could make into a finished piece of jewelry? Do you suppose their wholesale supplier will share that with you? Just because you get access to the wholesaler in order to view slabs it does not mean you now get access to how they price things to their customers...the fabricators.
  • Patty Rueter
    9 years ago
    wow you have had a lot of weigh in on this question. Go to a fabricator, see what they have in remnants, just use this for an accent piece. It could be for a buffet part of your kitchen or a special area top like a buffet. It is such a statement piece that you could tire of it and it is such a statement that it might be too much when you go to sell. I agree with the shaker style cabinets not matching the elegance of the stone. Save the money and get really fine cookware
  • stryker
    9 years ago
    If you get this stone go with slab front cabinets. Even shaker style will be add too many lines/movement.
  • windyciccarello
    9 years ago
    I agree with Patty, I would definitely use this piece as an accent only. I would NOT put it all throughout my kitchen. You will tire of it if you do because it's so overwhelming. Although extremely beautiful. Even if you used it in a powder bath or another area of your home. You can still look and enjoy, but sometimes a taste is better than eating the whole cake. And for crying out loud, don't take away from that lovely view! Windy
  • lbw123
    9 years ago
    Kivi- I beg to differ. The customer is not the fabricator. The customer is the person buying the stone. The customer does the work of going to the wholesaler and choosing and marking slabs. The fabricator cuts and installs the stone - a quantifiable service, just like plumbing, carpentry and electrical work. Your jewelry analogy is not the same because you CAN price gemstones quite easily and the purchaser has the ability to compare prices and make an informed decision as to who to buy from. A more accurate analogy would be if you went to buy a piece of jewelry and there were no prices and everyone said "just pick what you love" until you got to the cashier with that lovely three carat flawless diamond on your finger. . . Would you be cheap when you said "whoops, I wish I had known how much this cost BEFORE I fell in love??
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    9 years ago
    IMO, Kivi is correct. The customer of the slab warehouse is the fabricator and that is the only entity to whom the warehouse will or should provide pricing. The fabricator's customer could be a contractor (or cabinet shop) or it could be the end consumer. The fabricator communicates the fabricated, installed price to their customer - whomever that is. If their customer happens to be a contractor or cabinet shop (someone other than the end consumer) then it is the contractor's responsibility to communicate the finished price to the end consumer. There may be mark ups throughout the chain and there is no way the slab warehouse could possibly know what the ultimate price to the consumer will be.

A smart contractor or fabricator will have their customer and/or the end consumer go the warehouse to select slabs - its part of good customer service. That does not, however, entitle one to know what the fabricator pays for the slab. If one asks, a slab warehouse can give you an indication of whether you are looking at a standard lower level slab or whether it is an exotic such as fusion that is special pricing. Most fabricators can also provide a list of the various colors of granite that fall within their various pricing tiers before one goes out looking. If you want to me in a modest price range, tell the warehouse folks that when you enter and they can steer you away from higher end items.
  • PRO
    Pamela DeCuir Interior Designs
    9 years ago
    That slab you fell in love with is gorgeous!! A couple of things to take into consideration before you go for it:

1. How will it look in smaller pieces? Take some blue painters tape back to the granite yard and lay out your countertops. Whenever you have a "directional pattern" in granite, you may be surprised at what it will look like cut into 25" strips.
    2. Are you putting your house up for sale in the next 5 years? And, if so, will your house's value increase by the price you are paying for it?

I know it's hard to fall in love for another once you've found your "pefect", but saving the money on a less expensive granite may allow you to upgrade something else in your life.

Best of luck with your project.
    glovely thanked Pamela DeCuir Interior Designs
  • gastb
    9 years ago
    Unrequited love. Sigh. You just have to say goodbye and move on. It's amazing how soon you don't much notice your counters. Just pick something that won't show the crumbs if you don't clean up every 20 minutes.
  • glovely
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Well, here is an update. We went back to look at stone again... no decision yet (though my husband did fall in love with an even MORE expensive slab for a short while)... I will share as soon as things are finalized. I DO appreciate that so many people popped in to share their ideas, thoughts, suggestions and more.
  • PRO
    Midland Home Hardware Building Centre
    9 years ago
    Although I do find it a little shady maybe for whatever store or showroom youre working with to not make you aware of the typical procedure when visiting a granite slab warehouse, it is not shady on behalf of the Granite slab warehouse to do so. Our showroom gives the pricing to clients based on the sample peice they have chosen at our showroom, which then once decided on amd accepted the client is given the recommendation to visit the granite warehouse to choose which slab they want their countertops to be fabricated from in the particular stone. If the client chooses some other stone while at the warehouse then it will be adjusted accordingly. Everything in the world of retail is marked up, it has to be otherwise why would we have retail store or shops? They couldnt stay in business because there would be no money. Excited to see the final outcome in your choice.
  • PRO
  • xannie50
    9 years ago
    Contact Country Gear Ltd. www.countrygearltd.com , they have artisans that can recreate the granite pictured using resins, less than the cost of the actual granite.
    glovely thanked xannie50
  • Mary R
    9 years ago
    I first saw a granite slab I wanted in October of 2013. Couldn't get it out of my head. I shopped around and went back to the distributor/fabricator and ended up getting all my granite there and they made the price work for us. I love it. The house is done and all my granite is beautiful.
    glovely thanked Mary R
  • Mary R
    9 years ago
    One more thing. Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate. But make sure they are reputable.
  • Mary R
    9 years ago
    I thought my brains would blow up when we went through this but once we made the decision it was a relief. I feel your pain!!!!
  • marjie1059
    9 years ago
    Pamela DeCuir: The suggestion of using blue painter's tape is a great one. I used my hands to block out parts of the slab to help me visualize, but the tape would be a great help.
    Glovely: I hope you and your husband are happy with what you finally choose. There are so many factors going into such a decision, as I am sure you realize.
    --how long you will be in the house
    --total project budget, including what else you may have to compromise on in order to afford the granite. Maybe you really don't want to sacrifice the other items so that you can afford this choice.
    --if you choose to use the granite on part of the kitchen counters rather than all (I've seen lovely pics of kitchens where the island cabinets and counter are different from the perimeter counters and cabinets.)
    --how you would accessorize your kitchen. For example, a kitchen that is very light in color everywhere except very bold color in the lights or wall behind stove or canisters.
    --if you think you would tire of the design. This was perhaps the hardest for me, as I plan to be here till I die, so I didn't want to be sick of my choice in ten years. How do I know what I will want in ten years? Also, much of what I saw in the warehouse was art. The slab would look lovely on a wall, but I wasn't sure how it would look as my counter.
    --how much the fabricator you choose will work with you.
    Personally, I love this granite, and I think it would go very well with your view of the outside. I know I'm repeating an earlier comment of mine, but if this had been in the warehouse when I made my choice, I would have spent a lot of time considering that one!
  • PRO
    Susan Berry Design, Inc.
    9 years ago
    Granite slabs are always negotiable.
  • PRO
    Angela Todd Studios | Portland, OR
    9 years ago
    Let's go back to the original point you made. Why not have the distributor get you in touch with a recommended fabricator? Have them come and measure and quote a price for you. If it is too high consider the island in the stone and quartz on the other cabinets. Another thought is look at your overall price to remodel. Your backsplash will likely be simple so the stone can steal the show. You may be worrying without merit. The internet isn't always an accurate and reliable source.
  • km kane
    9 years ago
    Didn't read all the comments but want to say I had similar experiences. Saw a granite I loved - Azul Aran - which was expensive. My kitchen is 25 x 14. So I bought the whole slab and used it on the island, but used Mesabi black on the counters.

All Azul Aran would have been too much pattern, and I think as lovely as yours is, an entire kitchen would be too much. And once you start cutting it up, well, you'll go nuts when you see the swirls at angles against each other.

And yes, you can keep your remnants You bought the whole slab, it's yours to keep! I kept ALL of my remnants and used them in other places in the house.

Except the Azul Aran. There was so much left, when I sold the remaining piece, I covered my original cost!
  • windyciccarello
    9 years ago
    Take a look at the Fusion I found here in Tampa. The photo really doesn't do it justice.
  • stryker
    9 years ago
    The distributor I talked with couldn't recommend a fabricator. He couldn't because all the fabricators are customers of his. THEY are his customers, not me. I will become a customer of one the fabricators.

That said, go to a couple of fabricators (recommended by friends, the internet, whatever), tell them which slab you want and whatever other details they need to give you a price, and then let us know!
  • PRO
    VT Industries
    9 years ago
    We'd suggest taking a look at laminate options! You can get the look of real granite at a fraction of the price! There are so many options for colors and edge profiles; take a look at our Dimensions collection: www.vtdimensions.com Let us know if we can answer any questions; best of luck!
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    We had best laminate and it looked nice..... and be at peace!
  • glovely
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It has been a long time, we had some family setbacks, but I thought I would share what we ended up doing... we changed to a different stone and we are SO happy. It was not cheaper, but we LOVE it! We have the most beautiful green Aphrodite on the perimeter and a beautiful sea pearl (with an amazing 'lightning bolt of green/grey) for the huge island. (We are saving up for the flooring ;-) )

We LOVE it all and are pleased with our choices. We are glad we didn't buy the crazy-beautiful one we started with... guess we are a little fickle!

Thanks again for all your help.

• marjie1059
    9 years ago

Beautiful counters and a lovely kitchen....I googled images for both colors....gorgeous.

• PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    9 years ago

Beautiful...good things come to those who wait!

glovely thanked Barbara Griffith Designs
  • PRO
    ILLUMINATIONS LIGHTING
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! Beautiful choice!

glovely thanked ILLUMINATIONS LIGHTING
  • PRO
    The Leitzke Architects
    9 years ago

I think the granite choice you made is a far better than your original "expensive" granite. It is elegant, restful, and complimentary to the whole space. Although the "expensive" granite is a beautiful piece, in the context of all the other materials/elements of the kitchen it just didn't work. You will not tire of this look. BTW granite is porous, use a good sealer.

• glovely
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Leitzke Architects... which ongoing sealers do you like? We had it sealed at installation, but want to use appropriate products on the surface on an ongoing basis. (Both daily cleaners and sealers)

• PRO
    The Leitzke Architects
    9 years ago

Miracle Sealants 511 QT SG 511 Impregnator Penetrating Sealer. This is almost always used by the tradesmen if have worked with and I haven't had any problems. There are other sealers out there that will do a good job as well.

They also make a spray on sealer for maintenance but I don't have a product number for it.

Amazon has it.

glovely thanked The Leitzke Architects
  • glovely
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the tip. Our fabricator/installer sealed it professionally with some sort of penetrating sealant. We have been using Method Daily Granite Cleaner as our "wipe it down" cleaner... any thoughts on that?

• PRO
    The Leitzke Architects
    9 years ago

I would find out what was used to seal it and then use their companion cleaner for cleanups/ maintenance. Typically, they will be more reliable against adverse reactions of the chemical components. Throw out any cleaning products with phosphorous/ phosphate or strong bleaching that could be used accidently. One of my clients had a cleaning service used soft scrub on their granite. It was a hard lesson. I have also had a cleaning service wax a Swedish finish floor. Complete re-sand and re-finish.

If anyone is using a cleaning service, provide them with the products that you want them to use and where to use it, and written instructions on how to use it, in their native language, and then you won't have to call your Architect/ Interior Designer complaining about the faulty product they specified:) This could also apply to well-meaning children or adults who surprise you be cleaning up around the house.

• Dawn Y
    8 years ago
    It can be pricy but wow that is a busy piece of granite!!
  • L J
    8 years ago
    My granite store told me to use DuPont revitalizer cleaner/ sealer about every week or so. It's a spray product under $20 a bottle from granite / tile stores.
  • Tim Coffey
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I know this is an old topic, but I ran into a similar problem. That "Fusion" stone is not well suited to being installed horizontally (as countertops). Plus, if placed on top of any wood cabinets, it will battle horrendously with it for eye supremacy. It really needs to be vertical, like as wall art, or as a fireplace surround and mantle. If cut for a countertop it loses much of the intricacy of the waves of color. Larger pieces preserve that beauty.

• marjie1059
    7 years ago

I agree, Tim. When I went to the granite warehouse, their showroom had an entire wall of a particular granite--it was four years ago, and I don't recall the exact one. But yes, it was absolutely stunning as wall art, but would not have been as effective as a counter. I've seen photos of showers with a granite or marble slab for the back wall--gorgeous, and if I had a great deal of money, I would love to do that.

• Dawn Templeton
    6 years ago

check out Formica 180FX they have some bold looking options. We used the marble sheets on our walls in an office and everyone thinks its real and comments on its dramatic look.http://www.formica.com/en/us/products/180fx/#swatchesTab

• Miz Mommy
    6 years ago
    That is how I felt about this. The o my reason I could keep my money is because the slab was too small. Get it if you can, life is short!
  • H D
    6 years ago

Beautiful Miz Mommy! What is it called?

• Miz Mommy
    6 years ago

Amazonita, from Brazil

• wealthmagnet
    6 years ago

omg I absolutely fell in love with Amazonite...until I got the price. The fabricator didn't even want to give me the price. lol I have FINALLY decided to go with my very first idea. RESIN! So many options to do whatever you dream up! https://youtu.be/LvyORvjV_LE

• trbbsb2
    5 years ago

What did you end up doing. I am in the same pickle - 3-1/2 years later. I did however, find it for less .... but I am looking for an even better deal. Help.

• PRO
    EndlessBuildLLC
    2 years ago

I am reading this 7 years after this post started. I have fallen in love with a slab of Fusion. $12,000! I only want 1/3 of the slab for an island, but I need to buy the whole slab. Interesting comments about shaker cabinets (which I have) and vertical vs. horizontal placement. Thank you so much for all this food for thought! I'm hoping to find another granite I can love as well.

• trbbsb2
    2 years ago

Fusion (if its the one I was interested in / I think they called it that) was VERY expensive ... it had colors and 'movement' like a lake, with bubbles , which is why I was interested ... we live right on a lake. But I just couldn't. Too expensive. We are very rustic ... so I went earthtones instead, grey, gold, wine-colored spots, some areas of cream. It works so well with a rustic theme ; we have a lot of barnwood and 'character cherry' cabinetry (holes in it). Its a nice option because it really warmed up the home ... and on 15* days (like today), warmth is the ticket .... any way you can get it. Even if its only visual.

• PRO
    Mountain Empire Stoneworks
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hey Guys, as a high end fabricator I can assure you that its virtually impossible to buy slabs from a distributor unless you are a large fabricator. With the pricing of ocean freight being high, most distributors arent interested in only selling one slab at a time, unless its a semi-prescious $20k+ order. I carry some fusion quartzite and sell it for a very reasonable $125-$150 per ft installed, this is because im ordering it directly from brazil $50,000 at a time.

If you want to buy a high end exotic, you need to find a fabricator that carries these stones in-stock so you will only have to pay for the footage used. Unfortunately, %90+ of fabricstors are small and just carry cheaper consignment material in stock.

It usually makes sense to even contact high end fabricators outside of your area, who might even be willing to drive to install your job for say $1000, in the end it will save you money and you will get far and away a better install. My crews have done work all over the country for our higher end clients, and a couple years ago saved a client $150,000 on an Amethyst counter project.

Best Wishes,

Josh Pickard

Op Manager

Mountain Empire Stoneworks