SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Meatballs

plllog
12 days ago

I started a thread about "emulsification" in meatballs, which they've been mentioning on TV a lot, but it disappeared in process. No loss. I found a website that explains it's what happens when you add water to the ground meat (actually, the fat in the meat). Well...yeah. That's a classic, and if I don't add water, I add whole eggs, which is another way. This affects the texture, of course.

Before I found that explanation, I was thinking about the old Italian guy's meatballs, which were delicious, but had a texture finer than pâté, and sausages vs. hotdogs, and wondering if they were emulsified. Apparently, yes. Similar things in the explanation I read.

So many ways to make meatballs. So many arguments over what's a burger, what's a meatball, what's a meatloaf. My proportions are different for meatballs and meatloaf, and flavors, but they're not hugely different. Or, that is, until you get to the meatballs--my favorite--which have as much or more volume of minced onion and carrot as meat. And a lot of dry parsley to soak it up, as well as matzah.

What kind of meatballs do you make? What's your favorite texture? Do you emulsify (intentionally)?

Comments (30)

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    12 days ago

I make traditional Sicilian style meatballs: 1/2 ground beef, 1/2 ground pork, spices and a little bit of hot sauce. Eggs, bread crumbs, and vegetables are for meatloaf, never in meatballs.

plllog thanked fawnridge (Ricky)
  • chloebud
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Good timing, plllog. I was thinking of meatballs today, mainly due to trying the recipe in the following link. I thought they were good (didn't try the sauce). I also like Ina’s “Real Meatballs,” but make them with beef/pork and no veal (same for recipe below). I also add garlic and oregano to Ina’s. Guess I never really thought of adding the water as emulsifying but I get it.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/anne-burrell/excellent-meatballs-recipe-1943292

ETA - These days I almost always bake my meatballs.

plllog thanked chloebud
  • Related Discussions

Make Ahead Meatballs?

Q

Comments (4)
    All good suggestions. Since the recipe calls for baking part way, then adding sauce to finish baking, I think I'll do the first baking today, refrigerate and finish with the sauce tomorrow just before serving. jb1586 - Next time, I'll make ahead several days and freeze as you suggested.
    ...See More

Greek Meatballs

Q

Comments (34)
    So I can never do anything simply. After reading a dozen variations of quick preserved lemon, and more about real preserved lemon, I ended up deciding I needed Meyer lemons. Which had me heading out of the way to Whole Foods. But then things really did get easy when I found a jar of preserved lemons. I just tried a bite and - yum - think this is going to become a favorite ingredient. Can’t wait for tonight’s dinner. Still undecided what I’m going to serve them with.
    ...See More

Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese meatballs

Q

Comments (9)
    I think for the Japanese meatballs, you could use beef. This one is pretty much my favorite, and it is the one I use for making gyoza most frequently. However, gyoza are a bit labor intensive, like ravioli, and so I don't make them that often. I think the Vietnamese Lemongrass meatballs could be made with beef. When I don't have fresh lemongrass, I use lemongrass in a tube, but I have a lot of lemongrass in my yard in Los Angeles. Here, I have it in a tube. I also have a large bag of dried Porcini mushrooms here.
    ...See More

Swedish Meatballs

Q

Comments (11)
    You can have a great sauce, and still have boring balls sometimes with the frozen ones. You can treat them a bit more traditionally by simmering them in beef stock that has been seasoned, and then finishing it off with cream/sour cream. Simmering them for a while gives the balls a chance to suck up some of the flavors before the dairy. Dairy does not stand up to the longer simmering. A crockpot is great for this too. It's not quite the same as from scratch homemade, but it's still pretty good. I grew up with homemade every christmas. Mom would brown off a big batch of balls, then let them just crockpot on low in their broth while she did other stuff. Around time when the buffet was ready to go, she would split off some of it to thicken separately- sis hated it with the dairy in it. Then finish the rest with dairy for the rest of us who liked it like that.
    ...See More
  • plllog
    Original Author
    12 days ago

LOL! Ricky, it's a ball. It's meat. It's a meatball. :) They're really good. :)

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    12 days ago

@plllog - my Sicilian grandmother, who taught me how to cook meatballs, insisted that she NEVER put anything besides meat and spices in the meatballs. Come to think of it, she never made meatloaf, that was my Jewish grandmother, and she put all the other stuff into meatloaf. That having been said, my Jewish grandmother never made meatballs.

• plllog
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Great story, Ricky! The only thing Jewish about my meatballs (and meatloaf) is that I use matzah crumbs rather than breadcrumbs. Different proportions. *Everybody* makes meatballs, or vegan cultures make TVP or mushroom balls, or something. That's what's so great! They're all different, but oh, so good. Old Italian guy's had beef and veal for sure, and probably pork, herbs, spices, and I don't know what else. My mother's were beef, eggs, and bread crumbs or oats, plus herbs, and I'm pretty sure she added water--unless that was for meatloaf. This is a childhood memory, because she made turkey balls later.

• colleenoz
    12 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

I rarely make meatballs, but when I do I use half ground beef and half ground pork, parsley, breadcrumbs, a lot of grated parmesan and some lemon rind. They're really good and we like them a lot :-)

The first time I made vegetarian "meatballs", DH came into the kitchen and asked what I was making. When I told him, he made that "I'm not going to like this" face. The recipe made quite a lot so I gave him one to try. After that he kept coming into the kitchen and "sneaking" one or two of the cooked ones when my back was turned. Of course, I knew what he was doing (and he knew that I knew LOL).

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

I like adding fine breadcrumbs - and egg - to my meatballs - it makes them more tender, IMO. I use all beef, 93% lean. I use the same basic formula for both balls and loaves, and I bake them in the oven, rather than frying.

• amylou321
    11 days ago

I make mine with ground beef only, grated fresh onion, grated fresh garlic, as well as dried onion and garlic powders, dried oregano, salt and pepper, and shredded mozzarella cheese. I stopped putting egg and breadcrumbs (well I used cracker crumbs) in my meatballs and meatloaf quite a while ago when I thought that they may just not be necessary to hold them together. I was right. I bake mine until they are crispy on the outside,still tender on the inside because I am careful not to overwork the mixture. I have used ground turkey for family events when a family member of mine developed a serious red meat allergy after a tick bite, and I found that THEY absolutely required a binder of some sort to work. Luckily, that family member got some sort of alternate treatment that seemed to cure that allergy, so I do not have to do that anymore.

I have never added water or anything like that. I think I would probably gag at the prospect of mixing raw meat mush soup onto meatballs. I also never ever understood those recipes that call for bread soaked in milk for meatballs.

• gardener123
    11 days ago

@amylou321and fawnridge (Ricky), I would love more info on how you get your meatballs to hold together. What temp do you bake them at? Can you put them in sauce for a a few hours while the sauce simmers?

My GF meatballs (and meatloaf) are awful...thanks for the thread, Pillog!

• amylou321
    11 days ago

I bake mine at at 375. I am not sure that there is really a trick to them holding together. I just make them, bake them and they are fine. The only thing I can think of to help is to not make them too big. I have simmered mine in sauce, but not for hours. I do maybe 10 minutes. Anything would break apart after hours of simmering in sauce.

• gardener123
    11 days ago

Thank you, Amylou. Adding mozzarella sounds wonderful. I typically use Pecorino Romano, but I'm going to give your recipe a try!

• plllog
    Original Author
    11 days ago

My beef meatballs (as opposed to lots of veg and beef) do fine as meatballs marinara. First, I brown them in a frying pan to make a crust, then simmer in a braiser, with the tops sauced but sticking up out of the sauce pond. That's about 40 minutes, for the sauce to take on the meat juices and reduce. Really good! But a big bother that I do rarely, browning all those meatballs. Generally, I brown them on a sheet tray in the oven, and I don't care if the veg kind goes a bit flat on the bottom. This works fine for general use, but simmering in the marinara needs a harder crust, and not to be too cooked.

• Islay Corbel
    11 days ago

I don't like big meatballs. I think the lighter touch, the better. So, whether they're beef or chicken (my chick ones are very small), I gently mix the meat with herbs and spices. No onion, no egg, no dry stuff. Just want the juicy meat. Like a mini burger. Sometimes a splash of wine or cider is good. The onion and the rest goes in the sauce. Quick cooking so they don't get that dry texture ground meat gets when it's over-cooked.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    11 days ago

I make meatballs in a skillet on the stove, the way I was taught. The meatballs are rolled tightly by hand - you have to really mash the meat into little pieces. Then, using two wooden spoons, I roll the meatballs around the pan, turning them constantly to get cooked on all sides. Takes around 30 minutes to make them.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    11 days ago

My meatball recipe. Cooked Perfect.

ETA: They are delicious and dairy free. The brand, Cooked Perfect, has several different styles, but I like these the best. And yes I have made from scratch.

https://www.cookedperfect.com/meatballs/

• beesneeds
    11 days ago

I make a few kinds of meatballs. Spaghetti and meatballs and Italian bomber balls tend to be the same, swedish meatballs is another, braised balls and taters can be a couple kinds of either Southern with spices and a redder sauce or more sour German in a brown sauce. There's a Polish one that gets the balls simmered in broth too, I haven't made it in a while. And an Asian one that goes into a soup. A lamb one that is great for curries and the like. And porcupine balls get rice in them :)

Depending on the meatball, there might be beef, pork, veal, lamb, occasionally turkey or chicken. Bread, bread crumbs, matzo, cracker crumbs, chickpea flour... often egg, sometimes not. Milk, cream, sometimes sour cream or greek yogurt, saki, occasionally other wine or vinegars. Herbs, spices to the kind of dish. Onion and garlic tends to more often be dried than fresh.

Sometimes they get baked, browned up in the pan, dropped raw into it's hot liquid to cook.

Mixing depends. Some want for a more gentle complete hand folding. Others can be mixed a lot.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    11 days ago

I make a variety as well. Italian, (Marcella Hazan recipe), Turkish, (lamb), Argentinian, Greek, Korean. All spiced a bit different. Usually baked but cast iron sear is also good.

Misfits has bison, elk, lamb and wagyu beef mince.

All are small. A bit smaller than a golfball. Some simmered a short time in sauce after cooking. Some served with a side sauce for dipping.

• chloebud
    11 days ago

One thing I’ve learned about meatballs is opinions vary all over the place. There’s no right or wrong regarding size, taste, texture, cooking method. Definitely individual preference.

sleeve mentioned Greek meatballs. I have this book and it has some tasty recipes, including one for Greek meatballs we like. It also has a Buffalo Chicken version that’s a nice appetizer served with blue cheese dressing/sauce.

Also for Greek, Weber’s grilled ”Mount Olympus Kebabs” are a favorite. The recipe calls for shaping the mixture into balls, but I prefer patties since they’re easier for grilling.

• plllog
    Original Author
    11 days ago

When I do ground chicken, I usually do a panade (the bread and milk thing). I learned from a recipe, and I don't know the science, nor can I even really explain the difference, but it really does work and yields a more excellent result.

• colleenoz
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

Every so often I get a hankering for Konigsberger Klopse, which are a kind of meatball :-) I think our late friend Canarybird originally posted the recipe.

• bragu_DSM 5
    6 days ago
    last modified: 6 days ago

my favorite is a hamball ... equal amounts ground beef/ground pork/gound ham. a few breadcrumbs and eggs combined and formed into largish meat balls.

they freeze raw really nice ... flash freeze on a sheet pan and once frozen store in a zip bag until it's go time.

baked in the oven drizzled with a tangy/slightly sweet [mustard-tomato-vinegar-brown sugar] glaze. Usually holiday fare around here --- except Independence Day

plllog thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    6 days ago

Alex has a six part series on meatballs. Can't believe that was 4 years ago. When i made köfte for the first time.

• Lars
    6 days ago
    last modified: 6 days ago

Kevin won't eat beef or pork, and so when I make meatballs, I use ground turkey.

I pretty much always add a packet of gelatin, 1/4 tsp baking soda, egg, bread crumbs, and spices, depending on how I will use them.

For Italian style, I add oregano, basil, thyme, garlic, and sometimes minced onion.

For Chinese style:

• 2 tbsp soy sauce
    • 1 tbsp dry sherry, sake, or dry Vermouth
    • 2 tsp sesame oil
    • 1 egg
    • 1/2 tsp black pepper
    • 1 tsp Chinese chili paste
    • 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
    • 3 cloves garlic, minced
    • 2-3 green onions, chopped
    • 2 tsp cornstarch 2/3 cups breadcrumbs or Panko
    • 1-1/4 pound ground turkey

I make small Chinese meatballs and use them in Japanese soups, and so I guess you could call them Japanese meatballs. I also use these meatballs with stir-fried vegetables with noodles of various kinds, such as Yakisoba, rice, bean, or tapioca.

I also make Greek and Lebanese style meatballs and serve them with tzatziki sauce, usually with pita bread, lettuce, tomato, and hummus.

• chloebud
    6 days ago

Lars, I copied the recipe…thanks! Flavors sound good.

This is a different flavor direction. I got this recipe from Fine Cooking. It was a long time ago because our kids were little and called Chimichurri “Jimmy-Shirley Sauce.“🥰 This is for burgers but meatballs are another option. They could be grilled or cooked in the oven.

Argentine-Style Burgers

Serves 4

1 T. olive oil
    1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
    2 T. finely chopped garlic
    1 T. finely chopped jalapeno (or to taste)
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 1/2 pounds ground round (85% lean)
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1 tsp. dried oregano
    1/4 cup chopped cilantro
    4 5- to 6-inch pita pockets
    Thin red onion slices (optional)
    Lettuce leaves (optional)
    Chimichurri Sauce (see below)

In medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeno and 1/4 tsp. salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl, let cool for 10 minutes, and add the ground beef, cumin, oregano, cilantro, 1 tsp. salt and several grinds of pepper. Mix gently with your hands until just combined. Shape meat into 4 burgers, 3/4 inch thick and 4 inches across, working the meat as little as possible. Make a 1/4-inch dent in the center of each burger with the tips of your middle three fingers. Sprinkle both sides with salt.

Grill burgers to desired doneness.

Serve in pita bread with red onion and lettuce, if using, and some of the Chimichurri Sauce.

Chimichurri Sauce

Yields about 1 cup. Can be made up to 2 days in advance. Store well covered in fridge. Bring to room temp for serving.

1 cup packed flat-leaf parsley
    1 cup packed fresh mint leaves
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    2 T. coarsely chopped garlic
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1 tsp. kosher salt (or to taste)

Put parsley, mint, olive oil, lime juice, garlic, jalapeno, cumin and salt in food processor. Process, stopping to scrape bowl as often as needed, until pureed into thick sauce. Taste for seasoning and chill until ready to use.

plllog thanked chloebud
  • JoanM
    5 days ago

I have never made Asian meatballs, that recipe looks good Lars.

And thanks for the Alex youtube guy and his meatball series. I have watched two already and want to try some new meatballs. The ones from Turkey remind me of the beef kababs someone made me once. She was from Lebanon. Round meatballs have always annoyed me a little when trying to brown them in a skillet. I might have to switch shapes and see if I like them better. I think they might be on to something with that tip.

• lisaam
    5 days ago

Reading this last week made me crave the flavor of meatballs. I eat vegetarian and riffed a Greek version from various sources. I combined in processor: onion, walnuts, garlic, fennel, cumin, smoked paprika, s&p. Then I added in roasted sliced baby bella mushrooms, cooked green lentils, olives, ground flax seed, small quantity of oats, tamari, balsamic, parsley , mint, rosemary. Chilled, pan browned, finished in the oven and served with tzaziki the flavor was quite good but the texture very delicate. I wonder if an egg would help them hold together a bit better?

plllog thanked lisaam
  • plllog
    Original Author
    5 days ago

Lisa, I do think egg would help. Classic glue. Though flax is supposed to work. Egg would also up the protein and fat, or just protein if you use whites.

• lisaam
    5 days ago

I figured that’s why the flax was included. im not vegan so have not used flax for thickening but i wonder if there was enough liquid in the tecipe for the flax to perform, I thought that it needed to be combined with liquid in order to become viscous. ikept it in the recipe for nutrition but yeah, i think i’d include egg the next time.

• Lars
    4 days ago
    last modified: 4 days ago

Speaking of Asian meatballs, I found this Afghan recipe that I want to try. It is the first one I've found that has Sumac in it.

Here's a similar one:

I think the first one is better, but she did not make a video for it that I could find.

plllog thanked Lars