SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eaw0915

Tile Conundrum - Raised Border Subway Tile and Backsplash Outlets

eaw 513
4 years ago

Hello Houzzers! I am getting the last GC bids for my kitchen/laundry/powder room renovation and have come across what appears to be a big backsplash stumbling block. It took forever to get hubby to agree to anything other than a smooth glossy 3x6 subway tile but I'm having an issue with the selection of choice. We both agreed to Imperial Blanco Frame Gloss Ceramic Subway Tile in the 4x12 inch (L O V E the 4x24 but not enough uninterrupted wall space for that). I'd like to lay this in a third offset instead of a half offset.

Cue the electrician and one GC who said that we can't use this tile because of the raised frame (the reason that I love it). They said that it would create issues with the outlet covers being raised far above the outlet or alternately cut ends of the frames being exposed to sink covers. I called the tile shop to cancel my order but the manager told me that they've had this installed in a number of kitchens without problem and launched into an explanation of how to do it that immediately slipped away after I finished with the conversation.

Has anyone used this type of tile in their kitchen? If so, how did you get around the whole cut end/outlet cover issue? I found a wavy surface gloss white 3x12 subway that is ok and have a sample of the same type in a 4x12 (MSI) arriving this week. I still like the raised frame tile best though. This is my one shot at having a nice kitchen. If install is truly going to be a problem then I'll have to let this tile go but if it can reasonably be installed I'd like to use it. Thanks in advance for any advice, I really appreciate it.

I've posted some pics of the tile and CAD drawings of the sink and range walls (markups were for GCs). The sink wall will have open shelving on either side of the window to open up the feel of the kitchen. Also planning on using can lighting throughout and 2 pendants over the island.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz