SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurenkth

Kitchen updates- two tier angular island

laurenkth
4 years ago
Would welcome your advice! I am in the process of updating our kitchen and here are the plans so far:
- cut bar tier step up to counter height so one flat surface
- put invisible steel support and remove corbels
- replace all counters with Taj Mahal quartzite
- replace backsplash with subway tiles hand made and hand glazed with variations in the color pearl ash
- repaint cabinets and island Benjamin Moore Ballet White. Possibly dark charcoal island.
- swap hardware (top knob Lilly pulls on drawers and egg knobs on cabinets)

The floors are not finished/stained under the island so we are trying to minimize costs by keeping current footprint. (I tore off end panel to confirm) The wall for the step up exceeds the base cabinets in length so the counter is going to be extra long over base cabinets to accommodate. May be 2 1/2” so we’re planning to put a raised end panel to minimize that depth mismatch (one side of island has a end panel but one doesn’t). A massive challenge in this exploit has been finding a slab I like and big enough to have the best match in flow on the island since there will have to be a seam. I’ve gotten varied advice from fabricators on where to put the seam. Today I was told just one seam on left “wing” over the base cabinets. Others had advised over sink. We’re planning to demo granite, have cabinetry person cut the step up and relocate electrical to end, install quartzite countertop, paint, switch hardware. I don’t love the giant hole of space in the middle of the kitchen but it does allow people to all stand in the middle at parties since that’s what people do! Also it gives easy access to walk from fridge to wall oven to sink. A rectangle would require to go around. Should we cut the step up or leave it though?? Seems dated. We’re not planning to put legs or corbels but should we? It’s pretty close to the refrigerator so my designer thought it would feel visually like an obstacle. Also I hate how this was built. The left side is actually in the doorway to garage so you have to walk from that doorway around to get to patio. We haven’t furnished the keeping room yet but this takes precious feet away. I wondered if we could remove the wall altogether and regain 3-4 inches but the wood flooring isn’t stained. Is that a big deal to try to match?
We have recessed lighting above (9 cans). My husband thinks this room is dark. What is your favorite floodlight to buy- lumens, color temp? The keeping room ceiling soars above the left side of the island so we can symmetrically add pendant lighting either. Any ideas?
Thanks for you help!

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!