SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_706278929

Flawed Quartz countertops

HU-706278929
5 years ago

I just got a brand new kitchen with white quartz countertops. There is a black mark about a quarter inch long right in the middle of the countertop that does not belong there. It is an obvious flaw. The contractor said that quartz has lots of unusual things in it and there isn't anything I can do about this. Would you be okay with this on your brand new countertop? what would be the remedy other than completely replacing the countertops? how much of a discount should they be offering me if we have to keep it?

Comments (37)

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

It is standard for all quartz countertops to have small inclusions of colors. The manufacturers do not consider that either a flaw or defective. It’s just part of how the counters are made that you occasionally will get inclusions. Mother Nature does that as well with any natural stone. While it can be drilled out and filled with resin if it continues to bother you, perhaps change your thinking and look at it like the beauty mark on Marilyn Monroe or another model.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    5 years ago

I am a fabricator. It's easily repaired if your fabricator will do it.

• Related Discussions

Quartz countertops - seam and corner joint/is it fixable?

Q

Comments (46)
    HU: HD contracts with different fabricators all across the country. They like to award all the work in a particular state to a single fabricator.
    ...See More

"quartz" countertops are engineered stone

Q

Comments (3)
    brenpaganelli: You need to look up the manufacturer's fabrication and installation instructions of your particular engineered stone. 3cm can span up to 15" without additional support. 2cm won't go as far. To answer your question, I wouldn't use plywood, I'd use aluminum or steel. If you use plywood, make sure it's cabinet grade, not CDX or OSB, please.
    ...See More

Vicostone, Caesarstone or MetroQuartz brand for new quartz countertop?

Q

Comments (9)
    I would also be interested in hearing how they are holding up. I have pure white quartz from Vicostone. They show marks from foil, pans, silverware ......basically everything that touches them. Thankfully bar keepers friend and a lot of scrubbing will remove the mark. However - the shine is now mottled or spotty. Looks like some areas are dusty and need buffing. Drives me crazy that there isn't a smooth and consistent shine. I am so very careful with them and have never used harsh chemicals. I have watered down the bar keepers friend so it won't be abrasive. My huge center island gets so much light and it bothers me that it isn't beautiful like it should be. Solid white isn't a good choice in my opinion. (or stay away from Vicostone)
    ...See More

Granite flaw “beauty mark”

Q

Comments (13)
    Are you wanting to use this for an island or perimeter countertops? You only notice the line so much because a) the slab is sitting upright and b) you're seeing the whole slab. If you're having it cut to be perimeter runs you'll likely never notice the "line". You might notice it more if used as one large island top but you'll notice it less when it's on a horizontal plane rather than vertical. I'm more concerned about this particular stone, though. Do you know the name of it? I had one that looked similar (Kashmir White) and it was a nightmare. There's a long thread on here about it where several had the same issues I did.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Other quartz manufacturers will have similar wording about Expectations.

“Variations in natural quartz stone color, pattern, size, shape, and shade are unique and inherent characteristics of Cambria products. Certain designs include natural free-flowing quartz crystals that may result in surface deviations to the touch and appearance. Color blotches are intended to enhance the natural beauty of many of Cambria's designs. These variations and characteristics do not affect performance and do not qualify for product replacement.”

https://www.cambriausa.com/designs/product-expectation/

• HU-706278929
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• PRO
    Precision Granite & Marble
    5 years ago

What Brand Quartz is it that has been installed?

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

That should be easy to drill out and fill with resin.

• PRO
    Precision Granite & Marble
    5 years ago

Depending on the manufacturer of the material and their policies they should have someone that could remove that and fill it in. It might not be covered under warrantee and as previously said by cooks kitchen, this is normal for some of the quarts to have color spots in the material. I would pursue warrantee first and if that supplier company will not cover it ask them if you can get a price for removing that. Then you can go back to your fabricator and ask them if they are willing to either pay or partially pay for the repair in terms of a credit. Keep in mind the fabricator did not make that stone, and the suppliers have all sorts of write ups about what you can expect.

It could be that they could have avoided it or put it towards the back of a counter v in the middle.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

That's a ten-minute drill and fill. You'll always be able to find it, but the home inspector for the people who buy your home someday never will.

• pigeen
    5 years ago

I'm just wondering: do they ever provide samples with such "natural" "surface deviations" or feature the same in showroom slabs?

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Absolutely. A past showroom of mine had a Cambria Parys counter that had a larger white piece included in it, and a couple of divots where crystals had popped out and been filled. (The same for natural stone products. It included repaired sections of varying skill.) Several of the larger samples also had samples of resin pooling. Even so, customers would overlook them completely because they were in love. I always drew a customer’s attention to that and went over what to expect.

Most KD’s will go over the positives and negatives of design choices. It gets muddier the closer you move from an actual design professional with a code of ethics, through a kitchen shop seller, to the stone yard clerk.

This is why is very important for customers to exercise due diligence on their choices by reading the company’s website and other informative choices. Especially if you are not working with a design professional to bring to your attention the things that you may not even know to research.

There is lots of info available out there. It is hard to apply that information to a real world situation though if you have not done a project before. The amount of info becomes overwhelming and all warnings and disclaimers start to look the same, and unreal.

• HU-706278929
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm so sad because I used a professional designer and expected they would point these things out to me. Instead they are saying there is nothing I can do. so I have a huge white quartz countertop with a big black spot right in the middle of it that I have to live with after paying all that money!!!

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    4 years ago

You don't "have to live with it." Properly repaired you won't notice the repair without looking for it.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Pigeen, I have "Flawed" granite in my showroom. Our fabricator asked us if we wanted it replaced because the resin fill was so extreme. We said NO...we want it that way. It shows our clients what to expect. I'll post a picture of it soon. I think it's beautiful just the way it is. Our Cambria island also shows very well the large pools of color that can happen with quartz.

• HU-441434149
    4 years ago

Was researching internet regarding quartz flaws and saw this thread. I had Cambria countertops installed May 15, 2019. I also have defects in 3 sections of one countertop and what looks like a nickle size paint splatter or blob right in the middle of my island countertop. If the color of the blob was elsewhere in the quartz I would understand, but it is not. Fabricator came out to fix the defects but was not successful. One portion is being replaced but not sure about 2 other spots. The island flaw will be up to Cambria and hope to hear from them soon. I purchased countertops through Costco. Costco has already been notified that I am not satisfied with product and will dispute charge on my credit card. For the amount of money that we all have paid for quartz, we all should expect to receive a quality product free of flaws. Good Luck to anyone that purchases quartz.

• lindacottonwood
    4 years ago

We just put Ultra pure white quartz on our perimeter. When the fabricator and I were at the

Yard to inspect and do layout he found some smudges on it that he couldnt get off easily.

He said it is possible I can remove these but if you still see something I don't want to be responsible. Only you can decide if it will bother you. I chose to reject the slab and waited

2 weeks for another. The new one just installed and is smudge free.

. If I make a mark on my counter-top whether it be my quartz, Quartzite or granite, I will owe it but I want to start out with it unmarked.

• loobab
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

That doesn't look like a natural flaw, that looks like a black Sharpie marker!

• witzkefjw
    4 years ago

I am being told by the fabricator of our quartz countertop that the scratch marks (looks like someone wiped in a circular motion with a cloth that had something on it) is expected and I should live with it. Is this true? When the light hits the countertop at a certain time of day, this is very noticeable. Another spot is perfectly round, like someone put a paint can down on the surface. Can these marks be buffed out? The second piece they used on the rest of the counter and bathrooms is spotless. I don't know whether to believe the fabricator or not. He tried to get it out using Comet cleanser, to no avail.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

"Is this true?" No.

"Can these marks be buffed out?"

Maybe. Quartz Renew.

• HU-818605644
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Iv also have ceaserstone quartz installed new with 7 defects, holes, peice of quartz missing, blue pigmentation spot which manufacturers wants to repair but I have rejected product and want replacement or replacement

Looking at taking supplier to small courts claims

• witzkefjw
    3 years ago

An update on my issue: The installer went back to the supplier with pictures and proof that it wasn't the installer's or my fault. The supplier refused to budge. The installer said he would take it all out at his own cost but would replace with granite, not the quartz. I begged him to get another piece of the same lot of quartz because I love it so much and granite would just be too busy in our house, which has living/dining/kitchen all in one long room. He did, but the supplier made him pay for it. He paid for it and then told the supplier to come get every sample of his materials out of installer's showroom, and he stopped doing business with him. I feel very bad for the installer as he has a wonderful reputation in our area. He did the right thing, and I have been singing his praises to anyone wanting countertops, including on two forums.

• HU-818605644
    3 years ago

That was really good off them.

I have been advised by the fabricator that manufacturer saying product not faulty but will repair the defects

Consumer rights 2015 say goods should be of satisfactory quality

Defect

1st defect

• Tracy L
    3 years ago

I have spots like this all over my quartz countertops. The store that sold and installed (before i purchased the home) says it is by design. I dont believe him. I think they are defective. The countertops are white with gray veins. These blotches are not a design. Please advise. They are part of the stone. I don't think they can be removed. I'm looking for someone to confirm that this isn't a design and instead a defect.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

Tracy L:

You and the picture above yours are what's known in the engineered stone industry as resin pooling. According to the manufacturers, it's a feature, not a bug. You're getting nothing from them.

• jessiej513
    3 years ago

Has anyone seen this happen to quartz?!

• User
    3 years ago

Resin pooling in stones with movement is allowed to be larger than the small particulate stones.

• jessiej513
    3 years ago

When I look resin pooling up no pictures look like what mine looks like. It feels like brown cardboard. Here is another spot. So this is something that isn’t covered under the warranty from everything I read.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

Jessie, take your pictures back further please. They don't make sense as posted.

• PRO
    StarCraft Custom Builders
    3 years ago

@Joseph Corlett, LLC

Case to estimate how often quartz popping occurs? We have installed a lot of engineered composite countertops, and seen it just once or twice, so I don't imagine it is a common problem. But< I would like your take on the issue.

• HU-395829362
    last year

Hi. I am getting these marks on quartz all across the kitchen. They saying it's natural and nothing can be done. But what can actually be done?

• HU-395829362
    last year

What can be done about these inclusions? Some are orange some are pink. Large and obvious

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

Drill and fill. Not a big deal and fairly inconspicuous at completion.

• Paul McMahon
    12 days ago

Just had countertops installed. My installer says this is normal. I have my doubts. Shouldni accept?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    12 days ago

Paul:

I'm assuming your tops are engineered stone? If so, your dark areas could be consistent with resin burn. This is when the fabricator doesn't use enough water when polishing the edge which heats the edge and causes the resin in the estone to discolor or burn.

If this is the case, it's not too difficult to fix if the burn isn't too deep. He'll have to take a 60 grit diamond pad, with plenty of water, to eliminate the burns, then a diamond pad protocol, again with plenty of water and slower speeds, to restore the finish.

It looks like you have some of these marks in your sink cut out. Is that the case please?

• Paul McMahon
    12 days ago

Joseph thanks. Yes there are marks in the sink.cut out and the backslash. Not sure what our contractor will do - we'll let him give us a solution. Appreciate the quick response! 

• Paul McMahon
    12 days ago

And yes ifs quartz.

• Paul McMahon
    11 days ago

Joseph our installer told us he talked with manufacturer and the manufacturer is replacing all the countertop. Kind of makes sense since the defects got worse on the back side of the slabs underneath the manufacturers stamps. Again thanks for the help