SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lauren_barnard

Aspiring Designer - LA

Hello everyone -

This is a little long, but would love your help!

I’m Lauren & I live in Chicago. I have been creative since birth & have always been drawn to beauty & design. I was planning to attend Harrington in Chicago for my masters in interior design in 2013, but life changes put that on hold. I have designed the two condos I bought & have taught myself how to use AutoCAD & HomeDesigner, which I use to plan out my spaces.

I have been working in commercial real estate finance for the last 9 years, but my desire to follow my passion is bubbling over & begging me to make a move NOW.

I want to relocate to Los Angeles within the next 6 months, and I’m putting a message in a bottle here to reach out for advice from any designers in the LA area regarding getting started. My questions specifically are:

1. Do I need a degree or can I learn under the direction of a designer? I want to work in residential interior design. I’m a big hands-on learner & will do whatever it takes to get the basic skills in place to hit the ground running.

2. Does anyone know of any designers willing to take a chance & hire someone who’s heart and soul is enamored with interior design? I am a very quick learner, efficient and hard working, and a well-spoken, polished professional that puts a premium on phenomenal client service.

I would say that my personal design style is generally chic, modern & somewhat eclectic, while remaining refined & elegant. I love taking risks, and using color & unique finds. I am inspired by Sara Gilbane, Eric Hughes, and Richard Mishaan (to name a few). I also absolutely adore Jonathan Adler’s playfulness.

I would love any and all feedback/advice.

Sincerely,

Lauren

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022