SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bvaram

What does $1M buy you in LA? A Design Dilemma. Help!

B Vara
3 years ago

My wife and I are remodeling a small home we bought in LA, adding around 500 square feet and have narrowed plans down to two iterations (or something in between).

We desperately need help!

Layout A (on left) prioritizes connecting all the bedrooms. We hope to have kids and connecting bedrooms is a plus - except here even our narrow (36" wide, 18 feet long") hallway space, a narrow 5' bath, and the existing kitchen make one of the bedrooms less than 8" wide.

Layout B (on right) has no central hallway, connects the master and larger bedroom 2 in the back of the house, places a jack-and-jill between Bed 2 and 3 (with a unique opening for 3!). Bedroom 3 here is a bit more of a guest bed / office feel, but has that weird connection to bed 2 and isn't really connected to the rest of the house.

Again, no kids, hoping for some (we'll start with one) on the way soon. Hope to stay in the house for 3-5 years, at least. Want to maximize for us and re-sale value or future rental.

Please inspire! Your voice will literally make a difference, and I plan to document everything throughout this project!

Comments (84)