SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
writersblock_gw

About all those decorating/real estate shows…

writersblock (9b/10a)
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I posted something about this in a thread on smaller homes, but since this forum gets much more traffic I have to ask it here, too: Does anyone have any actual experience with any of the decorating/home shows and are any of them even remotely real anymore?

I ask because, while I've known for many years that they were all slightly fake, the current bogusness has really surprised me. Years and years ago House Hunters advertised here for one of their episodes. They were looking for people who'd recently bought homes that could be used for the "other" houses in an episode about a house here that someone had already bought. But at least they wanted properties that had recently been on the market, so theoretically the home buyers could have looked at them.

But someone recently sent me a link to an episode of Tiny House Hunting that takes place partly in an area I'm very familiar with, and there was not one single thing that was real or true about anything at all in the whole episode.

It was about looking for a tiny beach cottage in FL. First the "realtor" shows them a tiny house in the panhandle, then they get in the car and go look at some cottages in Lake Worth, about 500 miles away.

Well, to begin with, I know the property they looked at in Lake Worth. It's actually got two cottages on it (one was the garage originally, I believe), but they made believe that they were two completely different properties and they had to go home and drive a lot to come to visit cottage 2, even though it's actually only about 15 feet away from cottage one. All they would have had to do was to turn the camera around to see the other one. Also, neither is on the market and hasn't been for years (the property has been featured in the NYT--it belongs to a couple who wanted to be married but not live together all the time) and you couldn't sell them separately if you wanted, since the only access to the back cottage is through the front one. (Personally I don't consider 1000sf a "tiny" home, either.)

Then I started looking around for more info about the house they actually "decided" to buy on the show, the tiny house on St. George Island. Well, it turns out that they had custom ordered that; it was built to their specifications, and the "realtor" was the guy who built it for them.

I can't fathom why they had to be so bogus about everything. It would have been plenty interesting to do a short segment about why they ordered the house they way they did and not to have all the fake "Oh, look at how small this oven is" stuff.

Are they all that way? I have to assume so, but why do the people who make these shows think that adds anything?

Comments (41)