SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
waterloo360t

Another Window Choice Thread

waterloo360t
8 years ago

I must say this site has been an amazing resource for helping with house decisions. Thank you all.

We are in southern Ontario looking to replace 11 double hung windows, our front door with two side lights, a side man door and three small basement windows. The House is an 80 year old cape cod style home. The front door and 8 of the windows are at the front of our west facing home which takes a beating from the afternoon sun. To the point where our black painted wood front door is extremely hot to the touch (even in the winter).

We have quotes from 4 manufacturers and I am currently suffering from analysis paralysis. All 4 quotes are pretty much apples to apples and include taxes and installation (SDL windows, primed interior with primed trim reinstalled). Priced from lowest to highest (CAD $);

Norwood (Norcoat painted exterior 15 year warranty) $29,500

LePage Millworks aluminum clad $32,600

Loewen aluminum clad $39,400

Kolbe Ultra Sterling aluminum clad $41,600

Marvin is very popular on this site but the local rep also sells the LePage. He said Marvin doesn't offer anything over the LePage. I don't believe him but with exchange I assume Marvin will be more than the Kolbe which really rules them out.

I am leaning towards Loewen (really like the windows) but are they worth 21% more than the LePage and 34% more than the Norwood? The painted Norwood scares me due to the heat of the sun and LePage is not terribly well represented here (although I have two neighbors that have installed their push out casements and really like them).

Anyone have some insight that may help with my decision? We are in our mid 40's and plan on being in the house another 30 years. The value of the house can easily justify any of these prices. Anyone have some insight that may help with our decision? Actually, this is like therapy, just writing this out makes me feel a bit better.... But 10 grand is 10 grand!

Thanks,

Jase

Comments (21)