Care for my outdoor Norfolk Pine

marmion2013January 23, 2014

Been in our home a year now where we've inherited a gorgeous 50ft Norfolk Pine in the front yard. It appears healthy and strong but as an amateur I'd like to know if there are any recommendations re: watering etc. The state is now under drought conditions/regulations. Particularly dry years have me concerned that I may need to address the taller trees in the yard as well. Do they (Norfolks) achieve deep enough roots by the time they are this height? Any info from down under would be appreciated. Cheers.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
funnelweb(NSW Aust)

Well, I'm only guessing, but there's a long row of them growing at Manly in Sydney (NSW) by the beach and except for a few years ago when many were suffering from the effects of wind born pollution - from memory I think it was soap suds from a sewage outlet which apparently broke down their resistance to salt sea-spray. Other than that they've thrived despite pavement and millions of tourists feet over the years compressing the ground around them. They are around 100 years or more old and (conservatively) would be touching 80 to 100 feet or more. I would think all you have to be concerned about is weather - in the US they may not be accustomed to severe winters. If they appear to be growing ok, (and you have the space) just let 'em keep on keeping on. 'Google Earth', by the way, should highlight the Manly ones for you.

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 3:29AM
marmion2013

Many thanks for the input! I've done a little more homework and you're in the majority opinion that they are stalwart...except when man-made pollution is a factor. Ah, I love Sydney!

Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 11:29AM
funnelweb(NSW Aust)

Yeah, best city in Aus, for all it's faults! Might end up back there myself one day. Good luck with the pines.

B.

Bookmark   January 29, 2014 at 3:29AM
More Discussions
Tree selection
My neighbour has recently demolished and rebuilt their...
mingnmel
Type of Lilly Pilly?? Calling all experts!
Fellow Lilly Pilly experts, I planted 22 Syzygium Resilience...
Redbarronflys
Melicope Rubra
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had some tips for growing...
archades
Scaevola i.d.
Hi. My first post. I'd be grateful if someone could...
Woko
Potash on Crowea Saligna
Hello all, I'm a first time poster to any kind of gardening...
gumboot_gumshoe
Sponsored Products
Cylinder ADA Outdoor Wall Sconce by Justice Design Group
$93.60 | Lumens
Kichler Seaside Nautical Outdoor Wall Light
1800Lighting
SwimWays Disney Princess Sun Canopy Baby Float Multicolor - 25083
$19.99 | Hayneedle
Outdoor Lanterns. Madison Collection 1-Light Hanging Outdoor Textured White Lant
$48.00 | Home Depot
Lava Heat Italia Quattro 45,000 BTU Propane Patio Heater
Overstock.com
Quoizel Cooper 26" High Black Outdoor Post Light
Lamps Plus
Raw Stainless Steel Contemporary House Numbers
Signature Hardware
Set of 25 Parade Flags
Grandin Road
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™