Hand Polinating

oldnodJuly 19, 2014

I have the first batch of Flannel Flower about to burst into bloom and they are a long way from their home territory. I am in SE Qld

To make sure the flower heads are pollinated as I want to harvest the seeds I thought I might do this manually. Does anyone know what technique I should use ?

Probably have only 4 or 5 mature flowers at any one time so have to be sure of what I am doing.

Regards
Nod

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alisonoz_gw

Nod, I can't really "google up" anything of use, other than that they are pollinated by insects - (what a surprise).
If you want to search a bit yourself the botanical name is Actinotus helianthi. I grew up in Sydney on the south side where they were then common enough in the sandy bush around our area, congrats on trying them up here.
I should just use a soft paintbrush (kids art brush style) to try to move pollen from one flower to another, both mornings and afternoons, just tickle round and see what happens.
I do read though that propagation from seed is a bit sporadic though cuttings sometimes work and now they are tissue culturing it (there, you may have a purpose to go further with that).
Since they are being trialed for the cut-flower industry most of writings seem to be slanted that way - I found an article by the australian government on commercial propagation but can't seem to post the link.

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 2:14AM
oldnod

Thanks Alison, I will search further myself. I tried cuttings. Probably didn't try too hard but found I was successful with seeds.

The plants have to be 3 years now and soon to flower. I intend posting photographs and reporting on the process of getting them to that stage for anyone who might be inclined.

Probably a week or two.

Nod

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 3:46AM
funnelweb(NSW Aust)

Nice to see you've had some success with them, Nod. I haven't tried them where I am (NSW Northern Rivers).
B.

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 4:05AM
More Discussions
Help with name of plant species
Can anyone tell me what the name of this tree is? Cannot...
perotti_adl123
Ideas for monstrous concrete boundary wall?
Forum newbie needing help!!! Developers have recently...
PennyTen
Looking for Rosemary
Not the herb, a particular one :-) Got your message...
alisonoz_gw
The 5ft Terrascape plants to be used
This is where I am the moment, the backing is not finished...
keithgh
Flying beetles
For several years we are visited bt black shiny beetlles...
tuppitoo
Sponsored Products
Crystorama 5579-PW-CL Dawson Chandelier - 5579-PW-CL-MWP
Hayneedle
Area Rug: Floral Scroll Plum 2' 3" x 3' 3"
$41.97 | Home Depot
Classic Regal Ivory Rectangular: 5 ft. x 8 ft. Rug
$228.95 | Bellacor
Echo Garden Rug 9'9" x 13'9" - SEAGLASS
$4,769.00 | Horchow
Blue Green Square Outdoor End Table, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Safavieh Hand-knotted All-Natural Earth Brown Hemp Runner (2'6 x 10')
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™