How to kill pyrostegia venusta

rossnrollerFebruary 16, 2014

Hi folks. We have a pyrostegia venusta vine that we want to get rid of. We've cut it down to ground level, but it's developed great thick subterranean roots that have spread along an area near a dividing fence of about 8 metres. I have no idea how far they go down, but it looks like a hell of a job to dig them up.

The bits that are still above ground keep sprouting new growth, which I keep cutting off. I have searched on the web, and it seems Garlon is the herbicide that will do the job, but it sounds like nasty stuff. I don't even know if it's publicly available here.

Does anyone have any tried and true tips on how to kill this thing, please? If I have to use herbicides, I will. Just wanted to see what recommendations might be out there.

Cheers
Ross

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
funnelweb

Yes, I had that problem, I planted the damn thing along the front fence and it just took off. I (paint) brushed every cut I made in it close to ground level with a neat brush-full of Zero 500 - a double dose of glyphosate; a 500 strength (against the normal 250). Do it as soon as you do the cut. It worked for me. Oh, and glyphosate used with caution is quite safe.
b.

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 3:37AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rossnroller

Thanks, funnelweb. I'll try your solution.

BTW, glad to note you share my view of pyrostegia venusta. Looks great, but given the way it develops and its tenacity I think it should be declared a noxious weed.

Cheers
Ross

Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 10:33AM
More Discussions
Can you help identify this turf?
Hi, My wife and I recently bought our first home and...
mudtoy
Day Lily again
The Day Lily has blomed again after a short sleep and...
tuppitoo
Potash on Crowea Saligna
Hello all, I'm a first time poster to any kind of gardening...
gumboot_gumshoe
Help with name of plant species
Can anyone tell me what the name of this tree is? Cannot...
perotti_adl123
HAVE: amazing coloured heirloom corn to trade
Hi everyone I have recently grown and seeded a few...
loomlove
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™