SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruthj98

I fell in love with minis! But how best to overwinter them?

This spring I purchased Little Wonder and Twist of Dwarf. They are still in pots And due to some late season sales, I now have Sun Mouse, Munchkin Fire and Church Mouse. But the last three are especially tiny! How best to overwinter them? These are some possible locations:

(1) The attached garage is a great place to overwinter pots that are over 6 inches. But I have found that smaller pots dry out.

(2) The window well is on the north side of the house and under a wooden walkway. So some moisture can get in. Usually the pots are raised on wooden platforms. Generally successful in that location except if there is a lot of snow. I haven't tried small pots there.

(3) I can bury pot and plant into the ground. I did that with a few of my small pots last year. It was an very wet spring and when I remembered about the pots and dug them up, they were sopping wet! I repotted into drier media. Generally they survived.

(4) My husband put a new roof and new siding on our small outdoor wooden shed. I put in some pots in a rubbermaid container and left the top partially covering the top. The pots did not dry out all winter! I think they remained too moist in there. Perhaps this is not a good place to overwinter. (Too air tight now.)

(5) I have a rubbermaid storage unit where I can store some pots. Generally it is out of the sun, but in spring I have noticed that the sun will shine on this unit for approximately two hours.

(6) Thinking about a NEW location for overwintering pots. We have a small homemade greenhouse attached to a south facing wall. Obviously being sun facing has meant this would be the last place you would want to overwinter any pots! BUT my husband says that he can cover up the greenhouse with white plastic sheeting so the sun would not shine down on it. Also limited rain and snow would enter. (Dear husband is worrying about where I am going to store all these pots I have! He says I am getting more and more----darn---now he's finally come to that realization!) LOL

Maybe potting the three small ones together in one shallow pot and then placing in my garage would be a good idea?

So where do you think is the best location for overwintering? If I have success, I can just see myself purchasing more and more of these delightful little hostas!

They're so cute! Twist of Dwarf

Comments (50)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES