SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaysd_gw

Does this kitchen design look okay?

kaysd
12 years ago

I have gone through a lot of versions of the design, and finally have something I think works pretty well, but I have a couple of concerns. The CADs are a bit rough. There will be a large single bowl sink in front of the 6' bay window and a small prep sink in the upper left corner of the island (so close to fridge and range). The island shape/size/placement is still under debate.

My big concern (in addition to the oven issue discussed in another thread) is the placement of the range and hood along the back wall. There is an 11'-6" cutout in the wall between the dining/living room and the kitchen. The range is not centered on that opening. The midline of the range is about 9" to the right of the center of the wall opening. Moving the range to the left 9" leaves me with only 19" of cabinets and counters between the wall oven stack and the range, which seems too close both visually and from a function standpoint. I would not mind the range not being centered if it looks like it is placed asymmetrically on purpose, but I am afraid 9" off center is close enough that it will look like a near miss. My friend who is a designer reconfigured my planned 8'x4' bullet shaped island to an asymmetrical shape to try to disguise the issue. The 4' wide end of the island near the range would be centered on the range, but the other end curves wider to the left to look like it is centered in the opening. This solved the problem of trying to decide whether to center the island on the range or the opening, but I am still nervous about people looking in from the other room and seeing the chimney hood just a bit off center and thinking we made a mistake.

I am just being paranoid, or will this actually look bad?

Right now there is a 28" wide stack of drawers on each side of the range, and then a 16.5" door to the right of the drawers to access the lower blind corner with a La Mans unit. If I give up the door to access the blind corner, I could put 37" wide drawers on each side of the range, which would put the center of the range and hood 18" to the right of the center of the room opening. Do you think that would look better or worse?

I am meeting with the designer tonight, so I would appreciate any opinions about whether this looks good enough or if we need to make changes. My husband may kill me if I drag the design phase out any longer.

CADs of current plan:

The base of the island will also be rounded a bit to coordinate with the rounded counter -- that just hasn't been drawn yet.

Comments (10)