SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
basilisk_gw

36' all-gas range

basilisk
14 years ago

Hello,

I was at an appliance store last night looking for a vent hood and 36" rangetop/wall-oven or range for our new kitchen. I was originally interested in a Capital rangetop with the power wok (30,000 BTU), and wanted to find a good wall-oven and vent hood to go along with it.

The sales-person, whom we liked, poo-poohed Capital, claiming poor support (at least here in Toronto, Canada). He steered me to a couple of 36" all-gas ranges - a Wolf R366 and a VGCC536-6B.

The Wolf was about $500 (CAD) cheaper than the Viking, but would need island trim, so the difference is really about $360 (CAD) after the trim and taxes. He claimed that Viking had ignitor problems in the past (confirmed by other threads on gardenweb), but they've been fixed, and the sealed burner Viking had slightly better performance on simmer and high than the open burner Wolf. (Both were better than Capital)

Two questions: 1. Is Capital not as good as Wolf/Viking?

2. Which would you choose?

Wolf R366 vs. Viking VGCC536?

- Wolf is about $360 cheaper. (Capital is ~$800 cheaper than the Wolf)

- Wolf has a slightly larger oven (5.5cf vs. 5.1cf).

- Viking is 'prettier'.

- Viking has the 18.5k BTU burner, 15k otherwise - Wolf is 16k for all burners, but Viking supposedly has better performance according to the store's internal tests.

- Wolf has a better full warranty (1 extra year), but Viking has an extra 5 years on the oven coating.

Thoughts? What about the Vent-A-Hood (PRH18-236, 36" 600CFM)? It was really quiet, but still blew a lot of air.

Comments (17)