SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kswl3

When I am Queen, Update

18 days ago
last modified: 15 days ago

This is how I will dress!

Queen Maxima of the Netherlands.

Those pf you who don’t like the cardigan or her butterfly headband, do youlike this ensemble better?

The top looks like a cashmere sweater worn over a dress . I believe it was the same occasion (a different year of course) as that for which she wore the green dress. She is a woman after my ownheart…..she likes sweaters with fancy dresses!

Comments (48)

• 18 days ago

Its indeed beautiful, but so not me. it looks stiff and unbending. The white sweater takes away from the gorgeous green, tho I see it’s meant to match the white beneath the lace. Come April I would drape it over my white sofa and leave it there until May 30th, refreshing the flower bouquet ( on the coffee table) as needed. If you were my queen, K, I’d be proud and happy to see you wear it! I’d have you switch out the sweater for a simple shawl

Kswl thanked martinca_gw sunset zone 24
  • 18 days ago

So would i! Gorgeous.

Kswl thanked sheesh
  • Related Discussions

Why am I getting these update notifications?

Q

Comments (17)
    If you do the Flash update and use IE along with another alternative browser you will have to do the update more than once. Use the target browser and access the site via the link RC provided above. The Solution portion of the page will provide a link to the Player Download Center. You should be automatically be linked to the appropriate update. Then, to do another browser do the same process with the new target browser. Be sure to be aware of the .exe file names if you save them to install. They are ever so slightly different in name and size. DA
    ...See More

OT I AM Back an update....on everything and Brian

Q

Comments (13)
    Welcome back and congrats on the smoke free status. You're just brilliant missus (as we say in Dublin!!). Fair play to you (as we also say in Dublin!!). That's it now, you've fought the battle and you've won. Just be on your guard always for those weak moments and have a plan in place for the moments when you may be tempted. Imelda
    ...See More

I am back for a bit.......update good news/....

Q

Comments (8)
    Always happy when I see your posts. You sure have a hectic schedule, but it sounds like you're enjoying your summer. Sorry about the night sweats. Ain't they a bit#h?
    ...See More

Health update - cross post, because I am stupid

Q

Comments (40)
    @mtnrdredux_gw Thank you. ha! It took me 72 years, and an illness, to experience hipness for the first time. Even during the 60s, I observed but never partook. A few drops, under the tongue, is all it takes. The whole system has been interesting. You know how you never noticed certain car makes until you start driving the same make? We never noticed the many dispensaries until we had the need. And who knew there are sales and discount coupons! Everything from finding the correct medical professional who helps with the paperwork (pages and pages) to the actual purchase is cash only. No federal banks can be used. The State does accept credit card payment for the actual card. All product has to leave the store in a bag with a big red symbol. Like a target if someone without ’medical’ need wanted to score.
    ...See More
  • 18 days ago

Oh, I could never do that— I already have the sweater 😁 Just call me Cardigan Girl … they are my signature .. I have many of them, even a sequined OScar de la Renta cardi 😎 That is devotion.

Seriously, I do know in some (many, most?) circles they are considered dowdy but in kswl world they are essential style!

• 18 days ago
    last modified: 18 days ago

Not dowdy. I love cardigans, too…and especially worn alone as a top. Is your Oscar ever worn that way? I just didnt like the white.

Kswl thanked martinca_gw sunset zone 24
  • 18 days ago

I, too, love cardigans and wear them frequently Dowdy? Never Never! In fact, i’m sure i have that very one, except probably a much cheaper version.

Kswl thanked sheesh
  • 18 days ago

Cardigans are classic, IMO - so are sweater sets.

That green shade looks great on her, and is a fave of mine - assuming this was for May Day?

Kswl thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • 18 days ago

I thought you were the queen? Queen of your closet!

I think she looks great but between clutching the flowers and squeezing her bag with her elbow, her hands arent very free.

Kswl thanked dedtired
  • 18 days ago

You’re a queen to me, kswl!👸

Kswl thanked petalique
  • 18 days ago

Maybe I could lend her my green cardigan!

Marti I have not worn the ODR cardigan as a top— and never even thought to do it— so you have inspired me to try it on that way. I have a pair of milk chocolate colored brown satin slacks that it might look really good with.. thank you!

Carole the occasion was the King’s Day on April 27. I would have thought orange is “the” color to wear on that day but perhaps she is tired of wearing it?

• 18 days ago

I think she needs a better stylist.

Kswl thanked Fun2BHere
  • 18 days ago

I love that modern guipure. I don't have any of it, I was thinking about getting a dress with that fabric/lace for DD's wedding but DD was looking at dresses with it as well so I acquiesced :)

Kswl thanked deegw
  • 18 days ago

I think the dress is Oscar de la Renta, from last Spring. The headpiece is odd and I’m guessing the cardigan as added because the day was cool.

I would dress like this every day if I had #1 the money and #2 the guts. I might forget the headpiece and add my orange Birkin. oh, wait….I DON’T own a Birkin??? Rats!

Kswl thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • 18 days ago

Spanish, an orange birkin— which she probably has— would be a fun addition to that outfit, especially if it was leaning towards coral! She has had a lot of misses as well as hits over the years which I saw in an apple news article today about her style evolution. (It popped up like magic after I read the article in which these pictures were featured; I guess my algorithm is preety simple 🙄)

Can you imagine though, actually having to dress for all those occasions and situations? I am having enough trouble choosing outfits for the next three dress up occasions (or what passes as dress up in middle Georgia)— my mother’s birthday dinner tomorrow night, a friend’s surprise birthday lunch next week and dinner and a play afterwards in Atlanta with the fam next weekend. Right now it is all driven by temperature and humidity. I have GOT to find something to do with my hair when it rains! 😵‍💫

• 18 days ago

I’m assuming the headpiece has some significance other than fashion. I hope I’m right.

Kswl thanked bbstx
  • 17 days ago

She looks beautiful !!!

Kswl thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • 17 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

So I googled her headpiece and found this explanation; it also tells the gown designer:

For the day, Queen Maxima looked like a pinnacle of spring in a lacy green dress by Natan Couture under a chic white cardigan and her go-to Gianvito Rossi pumps. Of course, the showstopper of her look was the dramatic, custom silk and feather butterfly headpiece by Berry Rutjes, which paid homage to the symbol of Emmen, which is known for its famed butterfly house.”

The festival was held in the town of Emmen, hence her tribute of butterflies.

• 17 days ago

Looks like a beautiful dress. The gloves are distracting and maybe because she’s holding flowers, but the color makes them look like dirty gardening gloves. The overall look to me is very 1950’s.

Kswl thanked Olychick
  • 17 days ago

Love this outfit! The emerald green dress is spectacular and I am another who loves a cardigan. The headpiece is fun, I would be happy to find an excuse to wear it.

Kswl thanked jill302
  • 17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

Me too, but the only prospect i have of wearing any of it (except the cardigan and a lower heel version of the shoes) is on Halloween, and no one would know who I was 😔

adding, I’ll admit the gloves as a curious choice. Perforated leather like that is usually used for driving gloves. Maybe she wanted something sturdy, they have to shake so many hands…. I guess that is a decent germ barrier without screaming germaphobe.

• 17 days ago

Love the dress but I am not a fan of and would not wear dresses with a hem longer at the back than the front.

Kswl thanked blfenton
  • 17 days ago

As others have proclaimed, you are Our Queen of Great Fashion Threads. Thanks for starting this. Such a delight!

Kswl thanked salonva
  • 17 days ago

and you do have a great smile, just like that other queen.

Kswl thanked salonva
  • 17 days ago

I love cardigans, but not with that dress. In fact, no to that dress, period.

I'm sorry, that's unfair. I'm somewhat clueless fashion-wise and hardly know what looks good together.

Kswl thanked Bunny
  • 17 days ago

I do like wearing cardigans but the white cardigan over a dress looks a bit ”make-do’ to me rather than truly part of an outfit. I remember being dressed that way to go to church as a child in the ’60’s My outfit probably also included a straw hat with elastic under the chin.

Kswl thanked lisaam
  • 17 days ago

When you are queen? I do believe you already hold the title!

**Fashion** is so far removed from my life the only measure I have to judge is if I like it - and I do. She is stunning, appears comfortable in her own skin, is wearing (not being worn by) a gorgeous dress and radiates joy. My feet do hurt for her but the entire look is feminine, a fresh nod to the mid 50s. Love the bracelets and watch, not crazy about the earrings. Is she wearing hosiery?

Kswl thanked DLM2000-GW
  • 17 days ago

When I was little, my mother asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I promptly responded ”A queen.” Mother had to break it to me that my life’s work was probably not going to happen. I’m getting closer and closer…I have the same watch.

Kswl thanked bbstx
  • 17 days ago

So do I, BBstx, and I never wear it. I’ve got the apple watch years ago on doctor’s orders to monitor my heart rate. Now I depend on it like a third thumb 👍

DLM she is either wearing stockings or has had a very gpod, light fake tan. She does look fabulous, doesn’t she??

Lisa, I wear a cardigan very similar to that one to church over a dress… our air conditioning is set at sub zero temps for the choir and servers who suffer under their robes and cottas.

Bfenton, normally I do not like that hemline either, but on her it looks so…..appropriate, somehow.

Thank you, Salonva 🥰

• 17 days ago

I find dressing up much easier than dressing casual these days. It’s part ”what I like” and part ”what everyone else in suburban SoCal is wearing”.

So pretty much a given that my style is Post [fake] Workout or Overdressed. Folks are used to it by now.

• 17 days ago

“Post (fake) workout“ is the perfect description of athleisure, Spanish!

• 17 days ago

The sweater and headpiece ruin the dress. I thought it was ivy leaves before someone pointed out it was butterflies (and the meaning behind it), which doesn't persuade me to change my mind.

Kswl thanked Allison0704
  • 17 days ago

She’s not going to a ball, a fancy shawl would be very out of place for the daytime occasion. Unless she wore a matching coat (which can look very frumpy a la QE2 IMO) the light sweater is a good choice for warmth and I personally love the look.

Lol about the leaves / butterflies, Allison. I should think it hard to come up with sartorial displays of support for the many causes, locations and celebrations these people want to acknowledge. And I do love a good headband!

• 17 days ago

She’s very attractive. Pretty dress, but a bit dressy for the cardigan. ”A light, fake tan” - perhaps that is her natural coloring.

Kswl thanked HU-163897337
  • 17 days ago

She is Argentinian by birth so it is possible that her natural skin tone leans olive.

Kswl thanked bbstx
  • 17 days ago

How lovely. I like the flowers best of all! The cardigan is wrong for the dress and this occasion. She should have had a dress for the weather, or a short jacket option.

Kswl thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • 16 days ago

I have a similar bromeliad (Aechmea Blue Tango)

but I've never seen one that small.

I also like cardigan sweaters, but I almost never need to wear a sweater, since I don't leave the house much in the mornings anymore.

Kswl thanked Lars
  • 15 days ago

Looks like there's a dwarf version, Lars...

https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/201719

• 15 days ago

Oh Lars that is lovely!

Kswl thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • 15 days ago

No, I don’t think the blue and red outfit is styled any better than the green and white one. None of the pieces make sense together in either ensemble.

Kswl thanked Fun2BHere
  • 15 days ago

I agree. I alway think cardigans look like a last minute afterthought, "oh, it might be cold, I should grab something." I don't think I've ever seen them used in a way that makes them look like part of an ensemble or outfit. I think the gloves with sweaters is just incongruent.

Kswl thanked Olychick
  • 15 days ago

What I am always struck by in old movies is that dresses frequently seemed to have matching or coordinating jackets to go with them, so if you wanted to cover up, it didn't just look like you grabbed something to make do.

The other default was fur, which you can't do anymore, but it was a material that was as elevated as the dress. I think a non-matching sweater can just come off as a sweater, no matter how nice it is.

Kswl thanked palimpsest
  • 15 days ago

I love the look of the second outfit, focusing on the juxtaposition of simple sweater complementing the print in the skirt. What makes it work is that neither the fabrication nor the print is over the top formal.

A brocade might work with a metallic sweater, except none of the parts would be simple.

I love wearing my simple-but-fancy Chanel jackets with a t-shirt and jeans, sometimes a scarf + heels, never sneakers. Same concept, different parts.

• 15 days ago

Dowdy keeps coming to mind every time I click on this thread.

Kswl thanked Allison0704
  • 15 days ago

I did a bit of googling because I was not familiar with her until this discussion. I am generally not a fan of her style, but I think she looks great here. Maybe ditch the gloves. Just ditch them all.

Kswl thanked Sueb20
  • 15 days ago

As i said earlier in the thread, she is an attractive woman. The pieces do not work well together in either outfit. i dont think who ever is dressing her is doing her any favors, sadly.

Kswl thanked HU-163897337
  • 15 days ago

Perhaps it's a cultural thing, since she's originally from Argentina? Bright colors are much more popular in S American and tropical countries. Miami and S FL are similar.

• 15 days ago

I think the gloves are a nod to royal etiquette. Also, I suspect they are comforting when one is expected to shake many stranger's hands.

Kswl thanked deegw
  • 15 days ago

“ I think a non-matching sweater can just come off as a sweater, no matter how nice it is.”

True that, but in my world there’s nothing wrong with “just” a sweater, especially in the daytime 😎

I also love this ensemble although I don’t care much for purple as a general rule

This dress looks to be embroidered and appliquéed silk and is one shouldered— and her husband is wearing a tuxedo— so the shawl is a better choice here.