SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_808261695

Why don't more people have Farmhouse sinks in the Bathrooms?

Yolanda
14 days ago
last modified: 14 days ago

Why don't more people have farmhouse sinks in the bathrooms? I'm doing a remodel and it just occurred to me this could be a solution to my problems.

The reason is for ergonomics and function. I'm sick and tired of the typical little sink basins that I have to lean forward and hover over.

1. One reason is washing my face. It's a complete disaster no matter how careful I am. Water splashing all over the place. Getting water all over the counter ledge that runs between my body and sink, which means since I'm leaning forward, I'm always spoiling my clothes with the gunky soapy water. I've soaked my blouse too many times that I'm sometimes undressing completely just to wash my face. I've seen my husband come out with a completely wet shirt from washing his face. Ridiculous.
  2. Another reason is washing my hair. There are time where I want to quickly wash my hair without having to take a shower. It's a complete disaster with the little under-mount sink. With a farmhouse sink, I'd imagine it being a piece of cake.
  3. Another reason is soaking. Sometimes I wish my sink was larger for soaking a few articles of clothing. A farmhouse sink would offer greater volume of water. Yes, a farmhouse sink doesn't have an overflow drain, but never in my entire life have I overflowed anything. I thought those drain holes were mainly as an aid for young children. Giving them baths or having them wash their hands unsupervised. The same reason a kitchen sink doesn't have drain holes. Two year olds aren't likely to use them. Code only specifies overflow drain holes for bathtubs, that's it. Anyways, would be nice to soak more than 1 pice of clothing.

A sink is for,

Washing thy face.

Cleaning thy teeth.

Washing thy hands.

Washing thy hair.

Yet 99% of us have these tiny little sinks placed in the center of the counter, where we lean forward to reach, with a big chunky run of countertop between our bodies and the water source. Why do we do this?

Having a wide and deep farm sink right up against your body just makes sense, right?

Why aren't farmhouse sinks being used? Even in actual farmhouses, I never see them. In fact, I have NEVER seen a farmhouse sink in any bathroom in person in my entire adult life.

Anyways, I think I'm going to get one, but I wanted to ask the community. Maybe I'm overlooking something here and somebody can give me pause.

Comments (41)