SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
finndian

Pillows selection for a chartreuse sofa.

Paul F.
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

The two dragon pillows are from HomeGoods and look better close up than further away. The others are photoshopped in. Should I keep looking? Any suggestions?

Comments (136)

• Paul F.
    Original Author
    last month
    last modified: last month

@KW PNW Z8 Can't tag you at all, as soon as the @KW is typed it stops searching. The chair is mortise and tenons. It is held together with square dowels in round holes. Not sure how it is not creaky or why there is no movement in the chair... it is so rock solid for potential a 250yo chair.

• Paul F.
    Original Author
    last month

@Elizabeth K Thanks for the input! Sounds like you get what I'm trying to do in that room and how visually satisfying it could be. I want it to be fun to look at and fun to be in. I'm going to stay faithful to the architecture @freedomplace1 but love the outside the box thinking and the nickel idea... especially antiqued/smoked nickel. I just installed my Graff smoked nickel shower handle today after a 12 week lead time! I appreciate everyone's encouragement. I will post pics as I make any big moves in there. There are some furniture auction coming up locally!

In the meantime, I found this local artist that takes 50 gallon oil drums and laser cuts them into wall sculpture kimonos. Haha... I know I may have lost some of you with this art but I love these. Too big for my 'snug' vip lounge but somewhere else... maybe my stairwell.

Smoked nickel!

• Related Discussions

How to select leather sofa style and color?

Q

Comments (1)
    Depends what kind of style you like. This is simply a matter of preference and depends on whatever else you have going on in the room. We thought we were saving money by getting the faux leather on the back of our sofa. Saved several hundred dollars. Five years later the leather is wearing beautifully, but the faux leather back is cracking horribly in areas of heavy use. This was an expensive custom wrap around set at a reputable leather furniture store. HTH Brian
    ...See More

Sofa and fabric selections- vintage looking?

Q

Comments (21)
    I too have heard wonderful things about Flexsteel quality, but- I am not sure if it is still the way it was. Melly says hers is older, which reinforces my questioning on this. Not trying to be too much of a skeptic but I was in the market for family room furniture and su:rfed the web tirelessly- and found all sorts of conflicting opinions.......... I have had Broyhill which I know is a very moderate line, and I also know that might not be an option now as they have had a good deal of financial woes but the furniture was great. (also very old so not sure of what is made now) I had Thomasville which I believe is supposed to be a better quality than Broyhill and is more $. It was ok but it was not any better than the others. I ended up buying Rowe, which I believe is probably comparable to Broyhill- anyway it's only a few months old but it seems great and it is made in USA. I didn't spend a lot, as that was what the moral of the story seemed to be- there was no longer a correlation between quality and price. This may still be valid for much higher end lines but for what I was considering.... that's my 2 cents. I still do love your wallpaper though:)
    ...See More

Help - New Sofa Re-selection ASAP

Q

Comments (4)
    I would add enough seating to be about the same width as the window. I would also add more seating to the left side. The corner wedge you have is fine. When you get the adfitional pieces you may need to adjust the placement of the area rug so at minimum all front feet of sectional are on the rug.
    ...See More

Help with sofa brand/selection

Q

Comments (6)
    Gee, I guess Patricia's comment was pretty bad :/ it was taken down before I could read it..lol. Anyways..I have pretty thick skin. So on to brighter things :) . I do have a flex steel recliner and I do love that brand, it sits very comfortably. There is only one furniture store that carries King Hickory and they usually only have a couple of sofas on their showroom floor so I do plan to check that brand out, thanks for the suggestion pink_peony. The sofa I have does have down wrapped and I do know that I want a firmer cushions with attached backs. The cushion on my current sofa are not and are not very supportive. The sofa has been a good one, it's comfortable for lounging and watching a movie etc but is more for a younger demographic, I need one I can get up off of easily..lol.
    ...See More
  • freedomplace1
    last month

Kimono art is great. That’s exciting!

I think I particularly love this one (at least from what I can see on my screen).

And the blue one is a beautiful color.

Such a unique idea. Enjoy!

Paul F. thanked freedomplace1
  • john3582
    last month

Regarding molding, have you thought of a modern picture railing. With your art collection, it might make changing up things easier.

Paul F. thanked john3582
  • tozmo1
    last month

I love that kimono art! Perfect for a stairwell. I have a soft spot for metal art. I'm torn on the idea of creating a room that is completely different from the rest of the house. I think it's a good idea especially when it's a room that is separate from the rest of the house and in a contained space. I was recently in a home that had a golf/sports simulator room. It was dark and moody and on one wall a mural like golf course was projected. It was at the end of a hall of a completely open, bright modern home. Walking into that room was like walking into an enchanted forest from the bright sunshine. Wonderful. I realize the use of your space is quite different from a sports simulator room but the feel of the space from the rest of the house is the same. I love the idea of a hidden speakeasy kind of room.

Paul F. thanked tozmo1
  • KW PNW Z8
    last month

Paul, the chair is such a great example of the skill of carpenters of that time who used their handmade tools to build furniture with no metal fasteners or glue. The close up pictures show the dowel fasteners in the frame quite well. The carving on the back at first seems primitive but when thinking about it being hand carved & with such nice dimension, it’s very intricate and another testament to the skill of the carpenters.

The oil drum kimonos are dramatic & what great colors - like @freedomplace1 the lighter blue is my fave but I’m also liking the black one. Thinking about your stair railing color - the orangy tones, isn’t it? The colors in black piece of neck opening & stripes with touch of turquoise would be great accent to the railing color on stairwell walls.

Love the shower handle! Really cool shape & smoked nickel is so pretty against the tile color. Smoked nickel is a new to me finish - like it!

Kathy

Paul F. thanked KW PNW Z8
  • Paul F.
    Original Author
    last month

I swore I was going to wait until I got wallpaper samples but there is something to these HomeGoods pillows, no?

• L.D. Johnson
    last month

I like the pillow color with the sofa and the way the shape echoes the snake's coils.

Not sure about this rug with the pillows - but the final decision on wallpaper might pull that together.

Paul F. thanked L.D. Johnson
  • KW PNW Z8
    last month

Yes indeed - there is something to those pillows! Very cool shape - seems like they’re made for Luis!

• KW PNW Z8
    last month

Just noticed the footed brass / copper (?) pot covered in verdigris outside the door - what’s the plan for it?

• freedomplace1
    last month

The pillows are nice. I think if you break up the symmetry it could also be nice.

• freedomplace1
    last month

I used a charcoal shaggy.

• freedomplace1
    last month

Velvet and or silk could also be nice. Like this, maybe. And it’s from your Company, Paul! :)

• Paul F.
    Original Author
    last month

The bronze footed pot is the thing I put down next to a bright orange pot and suddenly heard angels singing, the colors looked that good together. The metal pot got super heated in the fire and melted the welds so I hope the repairs hold. I just want to see it outside the door with a small bushy plant in it. The verdigris looks good with the blue pillows and the pillows kind of pull out the blue in the rug. I'll play with asymmetry.

Here it with a lemon pot I found at HomeGoods yesterday.

• freedomplace1
    last month

It reminds me a bit of the Tiffany blue.

• freedomplace1
    last month

Well... you have inspired me, Paul. I need a small sofa or loveseat for my new place. I’ve been planning on a blue one. But I just saw this.

I’m not sure how it would go with the yellow walls. And I would also have to rework all the other choices. But I love this.

• Paul F.
    Original Author
    last month

@freedomplace1 The form is great and just the right size.

• KW PNW Z8
    last month

Paul, your new pillow finds are great - the color & shape makes them tie in with multiple elements in the space. The shape was making me think of something but I couldn’t pull it out of my imagination. Just came to me - Gordian knot - perfect for this room!

• freedomplace1
    last month

Thank you, Paul! And thank you for giving me one of your pillows! :) Those pillows are excellent.

I love this piece. I agree with you, the form is amazing. And the size is perfect for the form, and also perfect for the space I would be putting it in. I‘ve been searching for rugs and trying to figure the best way to work it with the yellow walls. But at this point, I am thinking that even if I don’t have anything else in the room except this piece, it could work! :)

• KW PNW Z8
    last month

Thinking about your bronze footed pot - I’m seeing a more upright growing plant in it & specifically, a plant with gray blue colors. I looked at the succulent Senecio blue chalk sticks but they do need some sun. Sansevieria / ”Snake Plants” tolerate low light & come in many shades of gray greens - ‘Moonshine’ is a gray silver color. I have several versions in shaded spots on my west facing porch in summer & they tolerate the heat well & are not fussy about water. They come inside for winter. You could leave them out year round in your weather - can’t seem to post a working link - easy to search though.

• Paul F.
    Original Author
    last month

@KW PNW Z8 Thanks for the new word! I just spent an hour looking for a Gordian knot sculpture for the table. Not everyone's cup of tea but his 19c sculpture just sold at auction a few weeks ago in Brugge.

• KW PNW Z8
    last month

Not everyone’s cup of tea - is putting it mildly! 😆 How about this one? From Artsuite & a bargain at $1800, 😳 ceramic 9x9x4” so it will fit on coffee table. Perfect color! But, it is a little more relaxed looking - maybe not tatoo parlor vibe but definitely has tactile attraction!

• freedomplace1
    last month

Maybe going for the tatoo would be easier... amd more cost effective ?

But I’m not sure why there is extra dye (or something) bleeding around the edges on that one pictured at top and that looks a bit scary to me... almost as scary as that skeleton/snake sculpture!

ETA:

DISCLAIMER: I am not a tatoo expert, do not personally have any tattoos, am not necessarily advocating the acquisition of tatoos - etc. This comment is for entertainment purposes, only. :)

• KW PNW Z8
    last month

@freedomplace1 - your disclaimer - I’m with you! Henna tatoos are my limit. I like having the option to change my mind about what I like to wear or apply on myself.

• Paul F.
    Original Author
    last month

I used to sculpt in clay in college and was a special effects make-up artist for a couple years and I'm just amazed to see that snake/skull is from the 1800's. It looks computer generated. Imagine the artist that came up with that... then. No tattoos either!

• freedomplace1
    last month

@KW - I agree! Options are good! :)

• KW PNW Z8
    last month

Paul, What material is the snake/skull crafted from? What amazes me is the enduring appeal of art. That sculpture could have easily been made yesterday and would still have a broad appeal. It’s truly timeless.

• Paul F.
    Original Author
    last month

Oops, it's only 3 inches tall. It is so detailed I thought it was larger. Its ivory... and from 18th OR 19th century.

• KW PNW Z8
    last month

Ivory - so maybe a controversial piece too. I have no knowledge of how these old pieces are managed. The ivory from elephant tusks, whales, walrus and seals is of course contraband now but old carved ivory can still be sold. As you see, it’s expensive. The size of it - 3” - is like a Japanese Netsuke. I only know about them from a friend who has a collection of Netsuke.

• Paul F.
    Original Author
    last month

I could also do an art installation group of pillows.

• k8cd
    last month

Late to the party, but…

if highlighting a living wall, I wouldn't use an over the top tropical mural. Too distracting. I like the dark blues (with subtle pictures) posted above with your gorgeous couch. And think would highlight the wall and art.

I think a dark cozy room off a lighter one is great. Most of our bathroom is creamy in color but the shower is dark green subway with a black floor. I love that it gives a cave like feel.

Do you know exactly what art will be hung in the room yet? I would take that into consideration while choosing the mural/ wall color.

Paul F. thanked k8cd
  • Paul F.
    Original Author
    last month

@k8cd Thanks for the input! My intention is to look for a subtle Asian influence wallpaper for one wall... then fly by the seat of my pants with hopefully everyone's help as I try to pick the right color for the 2 walls.... or maybe leave it white!

The ketchup pillow is an April fools joke!

• freedomplace1
    last month

That looks great, Paul. I love the look with the wallpaper and (reddish ?) wall. I have been thinking - with the chartreuse sofa that I am now hooked on - the “missing link” for me - with the sofa color and yellow/gold walls - might be a plum/eggplant or a red. I was looking at a burgundy chair last night . So for me, I am thinking i could perhaps bring in some type of accents with those colors. So it’s interesting to see how you have incorporated it into your space.

• freedomplace1
    last month

I‘ve always liked TJ Maxx... so much fun.

• RedRyder
    last month

A dark burgundy wallpaper could be beautiful, if it works with the rug. This is a Cole $ Son paper. Not too busy, but would be dramatic in that sitting area.

Paul F. thanked RedRyder
  • Paul F.
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Still working on things. I forgot to post photos of the lamp lit. When dimmed the LEDs go pink.

• KW PNW Z8
    10 days ago

Thanks for sharing Paul! The light is so pretty lit up - the pink glow is great - creates a rose gold look. The hanging chain is really pretty with the reflection of the light. Seems like it should be perfect softer mood lighting & that’s hard to find with overhead lights. Those 3 pillows look great on sofa. Love the lemon pot too. It’s fun to be vicariously shopping with you. 😁

• L.D. Johnson
    10 days ago

Did Luis escape?😄

• Paul F.
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Here's Luis! He's off to be reframed soon. I found this Jonathan Adler throw that I thought was interesting... I photoshopped it in.

• freedomplace1
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

That throw is great. I noticed it when you posted yesterday, and it made me start searching for throws with faces! I found some nice ones, but nothing so far quite as unique as the one you are showing. Maybe i need to narrow my search to ‘throw blankets with eyes’.

This is nice, and reminds me a bit of my tabby cat that I had for many years - and then she moved in with an ex of mine for the next 8 years ( better her than me ! 😂 ) Anyway - I had found her in a park in Los Angeles when I lived there and brought her back with me on the plane when I moved back home to NYC.

I love cats. The Ancient Egyptians literally worshipped their cats.

• freedomplace1
    9 days ago

Just to clarify, because I said that they ”literally” worshipped their cats. It is more complex, as you probably know, Paul. They actually did not literally worship cats... in terms of worshipping cats in the same sense that Gods were worshipped. But cats were held in very, very high regard. Killing a cat would result in death to the one who did it. And cats were seen as potentially being vessels of the Gods. And some of their Gods were depicted as cats, and had cat like qualities attributed to them. Etcetera. :)

These Ancient Egypt wooden cats are in Louvre Museum.

They were cat people. :)

• Paul F.
    Original Author
    9 days ago

I worship cats too! Here's my Franklin (Frankie). Amazing you were able to reunite with your cat.

• freedomplace1
    8 days ago

He is gorgeous.

And yes, I think you really put it right when you mention that I was able to ”reunite” with my cat. Amazing that you said that, Paul, if you mean what I think you mean. I found her in such an interesting way... It definitely seemed fated. That’s why I named her Karma. :)

• Paul F.
    Original Author
    7 days ago

• L.D. Johnson
    7 days ago

Oooooh. Very interesting!

• john3582
    7 days ago

I love that so much.

Paul F. thanked john3582
  • Paul F.
    Original Author
    7 days ago

Its crazy, right? Almost makes me want to run out and find a perfectly shaped tree. Its probably bronze.

• KW PNW Z8
    7 days ago
    last modified: 7 days ago

Hmm - that might make a great wall mural design. Starting from behind the sofa then over to wall with glass doors…… would need more something with it but the curvaceous lines of this piece make me think of the Japanese Pine type tree in your mockup mural. This piece might be a nice companion to the ceiling light. Thinking….

• freedomplace1
    6 days ago

Trees are everything.

Have you thought of a fountain for outdoor space? I saw this and thought of your place. You can run it by your landscape designer (if he’s still around... ;)

Very happy customer in West Palm Beach.

General views:

https://www.wayfair.com/outdoor/pdp/millwood-pines-zia-resin-curving-shaped-fountain-with-light-w004155828.html?piid=1476665221%2C1605099083