SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

What are you doing Monday on Tuesday 43024

Where did April go? I have been busy so how about you?

Logical.

So, what is up this week?

Comments (16)

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    Original Author
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

I once worked in that neighborhood. Birds were sure mean.

I have someone else's hosta in my yard. Growing hosta is a gamble, at least for me. I never know what is going to come back and what will surprise me. Well, this year I have been happy so far. Extra happy. I have already had a few request to get out of the sun early but most still seem to be happy in it. I do have a few throwing scapes already and well here is a photo:

When I am not fooling with the hosta I am redoing my cacti area. While sitting in the recliner I came up with the idea to paint new boards to match the new ones from last year. So now any ideas the come from that recliner after 4.30.24 will be void. I had my wood delivered and next time I will pick it out. I was not totally pleased.

I am still repotting. It seems this year everyone wants a new pot and fun soil. The birds are birding and are helping keep the yard bug free-er. The bluebirds are moving into their second house, and I have mocking birds building a nest right over the hosta area. The geese are also nest sitting out at the pond. It is getting fierce out there. I hide behind this lily. It is a walker and I do believe each flower makes a plant. Yikes!

Have a great week.

• garyz6ohio
    17 days ago

According to the long-range forecast we should be past our frosts and freezes for the year so I've taken everything out of the greenhouse and p[laced them around the garden. The cover will stay on the greenhouse for at least another week just in case I have to do a mad scramble and get the pots back under cover.(It has happened before!)

• Related Discussions

Blooms from Monday/Tuesday

Q

Comments (20)
    Julia, Truly angelic will be moved this fall. It is in almost total shade from my monster New Dawn rose now, and still put up five scapes I have to scoot undr the rose to get pictures. Brittie, I am glad you like them, they are favorites of mine and both have huge blooms. Patann, I am glad. Thanks Val. It is three now and coming into its own. the shooters intros do really well here. I want to get A Friend to all. Rita posts it and it is a beauty. Jean, I don't know what your problem could be. I haven't done anything for El Desperado, it is just its year. Next year it may do little or a lot, you never know. kay
    ...See More

Picture catch up...Monday & Tuesday

Q

Comments (8)
    Karen, these are really nice. Since you have Monday and Tuesday here in one post I feel I get to pick a favorite from each day and thats just what I am going to do. I am picking Jordan Verhaert as my favorite from Mondays batch and Daybreak Fantasy as my favorite from Tuesday.
    ...See More

Monday & Tuesday Blooms

Q

Comments (15)
    Chris: BACK TO FUSCHIA I won on one of the Regions (can't remember which region)auction on the LA last year and was sent by the hybridizer Pat Cochenour last year. Got through our cold winter just fine. Just started blooming here. Debra: LIGHT OF THE WORLD always puts on a show. I know there is another one I've heard good things about is LITTLE LIGHT OF MINE also by Emmerich which does good too. I may end up dividing LIGHT OF THE WORLD this year. If I do, do you want some fans of it? Let me know via email. Julia
    ...See More

Monday's pics on Tuesday

Q

Comments (5)
    Mr. Simpson did a good job with Victoria. It's my favorite of this group. Outrageous is nice too, but I'm not overly crazy about that particular shade of pumpkin orange. Just a matter of taste. Still it sure shows up......Maryl
    ...See More
  • nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    17 days ago

we have crows and I like them!..a bit noisy though..

the new neighbor got a fence..old owners used a few railroad ties to mark part of the property line..now the ties were outside of the fence..I asked if I could remove them..they’re rotten, ugly and a tripping hazard..he agreed..my husband ripped them out today..the red line shows where they were..the accomplishment feels great..

a friend gave me this hosta..he doesn’t know the name..a guess..is it First Frost?..a pic of my First Frosts last week..but does it seem that the new one has more heart shaped leaves than First Frost?..

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    17 days ago

For the past I-don't-know-how-many years we've been spreading marigold seedlings around the neighbourhood. Anyone who wants some gets at least a tray of 32. They're all from seeds harvested the year prior from open-pollinated seed pods so they are what they are...and the price is right. We broadcast them into a couple of seed trays and will start pricking them out when there's at least the 2nd set of leaves showing.

This is how thick they are, they almost look like cilantro when it's this dense.

I fill the trays with pots, fill those with potting mix and out they go into our little greenhouses.

So far we've planted out 576 seedlings and we still have one more full tray of seedlings to go. By the time we're done we'll have well over 1000 seedlings to bring some colour into the summer yards in our cul-de-sac!

Pieter

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    17 days ago

Ann, too bad you got stuck with the railroad ties. How will you get rid of them?

It’s hard to be sure what your new hosta is, but another First Frost wouldn’t be a bad thing.

Pieter, what a great thing you do to spread marigold flowers around to your neighbors! That’s so thoughtful.

17 days ago

sandyslopes..we’ll cut them short enough to fit in our trash can and get rid of a few a week until they’re gone..
    I love First Frost..I agree that another FF wouldn’t be a bad thing..
    sorry that hail damaged your Irish Luck..
    I saw the “roots in a bag “ at Costco but didn’t buy any..I will next year!..
    no lilacs for me..no sun..I do have 7 brunneras..great blue blooms..💕

• steve duggins
    16 days ago

repotting, moving all of my tropicals etc. outdoors for the rain!!! Wishing I had retired already so I could just watch my garden grow and take pics and post - (Coming this July).

• old_dirt 6a
    16 days ago

still trying to catch up with the weeding and get some compost down. Am considering to do some wood chip mulch this year for asethics and weed supression. I've only used pine mulch in the past but not real fond of it and expensive. Any suggestiions?

I think all of my hostas are now up and most doing good.

Sagae today

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    15 days ago

Love the bird pic…..crows are very intelligent and clever birds. I like them too Ann!

Not sure what that hosta is yet….time will tell. I agree that the leaf shape and border seem different from FF. Ann I thought the railroad ties were the neighbors….aren’t they the ones that should clear them up???

sandyslopes, you have been busy!! Thing are looking good in your yard though!

old_dirt, my Sagae is half the size of yours, but we have not had the amount of rain that you have.

So far, I have gone around and marked where everything is coming up so when Bert and I do the drenching we won’t step on pips. I also potted two hostas that I over wintered.

so this is what yard is looking like in back.

Striptease???

debra

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    15 days ago

I would not mess with that crow lol!

Paula your Hosta are looking great and it must be fun having the mockingbirds.

Here's hoping Gary!

Lisa hail is no fun at all. Hopefully newer leaves will cover the damage. Wow you have been busy and your plants are so much farther ahead than mine. Well everyone is ahead of me.

Ann you must be happy to have those ties almost gone. They should have taken care of them but often it is just quicker to do things ourselves.

Pieter what a lovely thing to do. You are almost like the Miss Wilmott of marigolds lol! At least people get them willingly from you. For anyone curious look up Miss Wilmott's Ghost.

Steve it is always great when rain helps out!

old_dirt I am trying to get caught up on weeding/compost and mulching too. I got cedar chips last year for mulch and got sections done with a lot more to do this year. It was not inexpensive but it will certainly helps with weed suppression. Years ago I had cedar mulch from a huge sawmill that was like coarse ground. I loved it but it is no longer available so I had to go for the smallest chips I could find. Your Sagae is wonderful!

Debra your yard is looking so tidy! I am still cleaning up leaves and debris in spots despite having done a good fall clean up.

I just came in from spraying with Bobbex. It was a most unpleasant experience because the black flies are out! They are not in a feeding frenzy yet but I did have to wipe blood of my face... sigh. I have to be in precarious spots at times so I can't wear the bug shirt. I will get pics later since I was driven to distraction by those cursed black flies.

15 days ago

debra, Laurie..there were a few railroad ties on each side when we moved in..the neighbor on one side said ”those are yours”..we took those out right after moving in..we think (?) the other side were the neighbor’s but aren’t 100% sure..the neighbors seemed to like them so we left them..the new neighbor (young single guy not interested in gardening) would’ve never removed them..so we did..

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    14 days ago

Today I did my slug drench. Yea!! Now do I wait to put the sluggish+ on??

debra

• Beth - Michigan 6A
    14 days ago

Wow, I am glad those crows aren't in my 'hood'. Paula your hostas are doing great, looking forward to more pictures of them this winter. Peter your marigolds are amazing, I tried my luck with seeding them this year, they look sickly, maybe they needed more light. I grew them under grow lights in the basement. old dirt I received a load of wood chips from tree trimmers though https://getchipdrop.com/ the chips were good, the only problem is you get them when they deliver them, they came when we were away from home on vacation.

As fare as my garden I have been trying to clean up the mush of my hostas after a hard freeze (25) and many hours below 32. Some plants died totally to the ground, I am hoping they will come back. I am guessing they will be stunted this year.

On the bright side the crabs and the redbuds are blooming beautifully.

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

Steve, I bet you’ll be surprised how busy you’ll still be even when you retire. Only it will be doing all the things you want to do!

Old-dirt, some counties have free chip drop offs. Not mine! We can get low cost mulch from the dump where they compost it, but it’s called sludge, and I’m wary of what’s in it. And I don’t have a truck to get it myself. But you might see if you have anything like that near you. I’ve had nurseries dump loads of mulch, but now I get my mulch bag by bag. I hope you find something that works for you.

Debra, we have a lot of the same hostas. I have Christmas Candy, too! I usually see people posting Christmas tree. How is your Tootie Mae doing?

Laurie, we had some early warmth to get things going, but now the temperature may be dropping below freezing. Isn’t that always the way?

What’s up with those black flies? They must be awful. They bite and draw blood? They sound diabolical!

Beth, sorry you got hit by a hard freeze. I’m bracing for some low temps and hoping our forecast changes. But your trees are putting on a pretty show!

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    11 days ago

Hi sandyslopes, ya know, I have maps showing where my plants are and yet I can’t find Tootie Mae on my map. Many of my small ones are still breaking ground. I have an idea where it is……hmmm🤔 I’ll have to look for it! 🤓

On the other hand, I don’t see any sign of my Time in a Bottle. Will have to contact seller.

debra

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company