SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anthony_mills2852463

Turning an old modern house into a modern modern house

Anthony Mills
10 years ago
We purchased a very cool (to us) house. It was built in 1979 as a "modern" structure. It is a stacked living space on a hill. You enter into the living area, and the bedrooms and master bath are on the lower level.

We fell in love with the location, 15 acres overlooking a valley of farms, and the bones of the house.

The house itself had some issues. All the lighting is controlled via low voltage switches, every single surface was wood. Every wall, ceiling and floor. Except where the floor was brick. Of course the Kitchen and bath were pretty horrible, with the bath having a jacuzzi the size of a small swimming pool, in a lovely poop brown. All the walls were paneling on stud, but at least there was insulation behind the paneling.

We are doing a close to gut reno. Kitchen and bath are being completely demo'd and updated. We are removing some walls to open the floorplan up, expanding the kitchen from 11x11 to 11x15 and doing a showpiece bathroom.

The walls are being redone with an R5 hard foam and then sheetrock.

The kitchen walls got new insulation, plywood, R5 hard foam and sheetrock.

All the low voltage wiring is being replace with high voltage, so we can go full automation in the future.

We are about 2 weeks into the project and hope to be done within the next 3-4. We have the distinct advantage of having a very close friend who is a GC, and he is anal retentive, detail oriented, efficient and inexpensive.

Comments (120)

• C Torres
    10 years ago
    Great reno,, Don't know why put i keep thinking spiral staircase somewhere in your home
  • Anthony Mills
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Counter tops are grey, like a polished concrete, but darker.

We would love to put in a spiral, but that can't be your only staircase and we only have 1 spot for stairs. The winders we ended up with were the only solution that meets code. We are going to put the flooring material as the treads, but are thinking of doing something funky with the faces, signs, metal, license plates, can't quite come up with the final idea yet though.

Got some more flooring done last night, and going to hit it again tonight.
  • hanna1984
    10 years ago
    Ya'll have had a very productive and busy three month project! Love everything you've posted. :)
  • hanna1984
    10 years ago
    What percentage of the work have you done yourselves?
  • Anthony Mills
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We have done maybe 10% of the work. Off the top of my head:
    Grouting caulking, etc in bath
    Fixture installation throughout
    Flooring
    Trim
    Interior doors
    some sheetrock and plumbing work (toilet, sinks, vanities, etc)

There is a ton of behind the wall work that went on, and I do not have the time nor the skillset to do it all as well as a pro.
  • hanna1984
    10 years ago
    That's quite a chunk of the work, though! It helps to keep costs down. :)
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    So smart to do the projects you feel comfortable with and let the pros handle the rest.
  • Kate J
    10 years ago
    @loves2read yes I am looking at recycled. Either a recycled pine or something darker with greyish tones to tie it in. It will have Kohler purist wading pool sinks. I will end up designing it myself then having someone build it. If the person you recommended would build it our specifications then I'm open.
  • Anthony Mills
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    got some lighting up today. foyer globes and fan on kitchen. tomorrow we hit the foyer hard to level it out and maybe get some flooring done. lots of little stuff.
  • Anthony Mills
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sorry for the lack of updates, been doing a lot.

Our counters have been put in, and now need to come out, due to the fabricator not being able to get it together the way we want. Going with another company.

Most of the work is done, and we have flooring everywhere and have started moving furniture in. Still have a lot of trim and little stuff to do, but coming along nicely.

And one more sunrise shot from the bedroom.

It is such a nice change from living in the city. last night, I saw this light. It seemed so bright and obtrusive. I tried to track it down, and turns out it was the LED on a computer charger. That is how dark it is out here.

Same thing with noise, or rather lack thereof. It is so quiet and peaceful at night, that any sound is just an anomaly. I woke up bolt upright the other night because I heard a noise. Yeah, that "noise" was the cat walking upstairs. LOL.

Very much enjoying it, putting the finishing touches on.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Truly becoming your HOME SWEET HOME! Beautiful home in a gorgeous setting!
  • taradmd
    10 years ago
    Very cool. Just about to start our own modern project with a midcentury. Very overwhelming right now.
  • Anthony Mills
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I look back and my first post and LAUGH. Done in 3-4 weeks, LOL. We are 3 months post and still doing stuff.

Enjoy the process, it will take more $ than you estimate, don't argue with each other over small stuff, and not everything will be perfect. Only advice I can give.
  • Junee Bug
    10 years ago
    Love the ceilings and the skylights. I wanted to know, what is that area next to the shower and the toilet, the one in white on your bathroom layout pic? Is that a WIC, if so, where exactly do you walk in? love the gray tile behing the tub! Please do post pics when you are done! Thanks!:)
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Just read the whole thread. Love what you've done. And your last advice is absolutely spot on!
  • taradmd
    10 years ago
    Thanks, Anthony. My favorite part of your house is the tub with the beautiful wall behind it. Have fun!
  • PRO
    HighEnd Solutions (Skylights, Canopies & Knotwood
    10 years ago
    Cool home. Where is it located?
    More glass in roof and walls would look great.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    You have done a great job. This is huge. I laughed, when I saw the 3-4 weeks too. Most people don't understand what it take, to remodel. It always takes 3 mos longer than they say. It always cost more. So plan for problems. Also, most places have to have permits, cost money and inspectors are not fast when it comes to getting approvals. You can try and live there while under construction. But I would not advise it. In my many years in the business I've seen families come close to divorce, over a remodel. If you guys are still together after this. You will be for life.lol. What stone did you use behind tub?
  • Anthony Mills
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The wall behind tub is Petra Slate. The tile that inspired it is no longer made, so we went with Petra which was closest and looks great, imho.
  • Anthony Mills
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Junee, that is a WIC for the bedroom, which is on the other side of the wall.
  • debsurreal
    10 years ago
    Wow! Lots of work but what a payoff!

I lam envious of your 15 ft. ceilings. We bought a mountain home with gorgeous views but I miss the high ceilings of our city house.

Will you post a video tour when you have completely finished....if you can find the energy? ;)
  • Anthony Mills
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    will def do a walk through. won't be for a bit though, lots of little stuff. taking down the punch list a couple items at a time. fans are up!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Everything beautiful, love your look. Especially the newspaper tile. I have never seen this?
  • Anthony Mills
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you. Not sure which newspaper tile you are referring, however?
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    It's new from pro source . I don't know if they even put it in the show room yet . Got out of their new products line coming out. If you like it I can check to see if it is in. The graffiti on the wall in my drawing is also a new tile. Kool for kids room just don't let them do something like this on a wall. Lol
  • User
    10 years ago
    Anthony, so glad you posted on the upstate NY home article so that I could track you back here. When we were house hunting in 2001, we saw several homes like yours from the 70's, stacked and completely covered in paneling in the interior. I wasn't prepared to take on that much of a challenge, so bravo to you for forging ahead! It looks like you are doing a great job of revealing the beauty of the place. We bought a contemporary cedar 1973 home that needed a lot less work but shares some of the features of yours. I love your bathroom plan and aesthetic; we're getting ready to remodel our master bath and remove our "poop brown" tub and sinks, so I'm inspired by your choices. Looking forward to seeing the final outcome of everything.
  • Anthony Mills
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    nothing terribly exciting, but another step toward completion. new registers. very Frank Lloyd Wright.
  • apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    Those registers are like jewelry.
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    Wow...wonderful find for those registers!
  • Anthony Mills
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    believe it or not those are from home depot and are like $20
  • Anthony Mills
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    the house looked like we were on Endor this morning
  • Jennifer
    9 years ago
    What a fantastic project
  • Anthony Mills
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Not much exciting, just making progress. Mud room and powder room tiled (mostly), flooring and nosings on the stairs (most, ran out of nosings) and the SHOWER DOORS ARE IN! But we had a leak, and the ceiling had to be replaced, so the pics aren't so great.

Working on a montage thing to show the changes.
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    Wood staircase floors look great.
  • PRO
    Eastvold Furniture
    9 years ago
    Amazing progress, Anthony! Everything looks beautiful!
  • PRO
    Ananda Landscapes
    9 years ago
    You have a beautiful backyard space!
  • landemama
    9 years ago
    My husband and I moved into a house so much like yours less than a year ago. I have been updating the inside, which is taking longer than expected. I also hired painters to do the exterior because that is a project I'm not comfortable doing on my own. They are coming in a couple of weeks to paint and I keep changing my mind on the color. If you or anyone else here on this message board have any advice on what colors will work best, please let me know. Thanks for posting your house pictures and updates. You have done a wonderful job!
  • PRO
    Door Stops
    9 years ago
    Be sure to equip your new home with designer door stops, that can help prevent accidental damages. Doors are open to damages from new by walls and furniture;however, with the addition of modern doors than you essential stop most accidents that may occur. Check our full collection at http://www.door-stops.com, in different styles and designs.

Sincerely,
    The Door Stop Team
  • PRO
    Malcolm Duffin Design
    9 years ago
    Landemama , I would be sure to update the period of your house maintaining its contemporary roots and look carefully at bold grays and as such avoid colors that are subject to dating blues/reds greens etc can all be susceptible to fashions and dating -try flint / slate /stone/granite types of gray would sit and look well and are natural but not really identifiable by tint.
  • Anthony Mills
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    It has been forever, but here are a few update pics and yet another sunrise. We just got countertops back in. Yes, 8 months of no countertops. Went with Ikea cabinets in the Pantry and Mud Room, but they fit like they were designed for the space.
  • PRO
    Stone-Mart
    9 years ago
    Love seeing your progress Anthony!!!!
    I think your home needs Natural Stone to incorporate your surroundings. Have you thought of Travertine for Wall Decor?

1.Cappadocia 4x Free Split Face Mosaic
    2.Leonardo 1x2 Tumbled Mosaic

www.stone-mart.com
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    Are those toy robots on the stove? Kitchen looks great.
  • Anthony Mills
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @apple_pie_order, yep those are little Droid plastic robots.

@stone-Mart, yes we have and once finances allow, yes we will and will reach out to you.
  • Anthony Mills
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    And what home is complete without a giant spoon?

This fall, we split a whole bunch of wood for some free heat this year, which has worked well.

I convinced the better half that we needed an ATV.
  • PRO
    DaVill Blinds
    9 years ago
    Wow what a ton of work you did!
  • PRO
    Talianko Design Group, LLC
    9 years ago

Wow! Keep it coming!

• PRO
    Patti Harris
    8 years ago

Have never followed a project before, how fun! Love what you did. We have a modern 70's house that we've renovating. Just find the exterior and getting ready to tear out and repour concrete and landscaping- yikes! :)

• zzz123
    7 years ago

Any updates?

• PRO
    Vk Sculptures
    6 years ago
    Absolutely love your house! If you considering Sculptures please visit
    Vksculpturescom
  • ljbwilk
    6 years ago

Ohhhhh! SUCH a cool house!!

Sponsored