A Beginner’s Guide To Chinese Cooking — video
10 days ago
last modified: 10 days ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (39)
- 10 days agolast modified: 10 days ago
- 9 days ago
Related Discussions
Food Culture of...India
Comments (43)India is so big and has such a rich regional variety of dishes that if you travel great distances like I did on my recent trip there, you can experience foods you would swear come from totally different parts of the world, and they do - in the Himalayan states you might, for example, encounter local dishes that resemble Nepalese or even Tibetan food, while in Goa you will find food that is heavily influenced by Portuguese cooking. You can also, if you wish, eat the same dishes everywhere, because restaurants that cater to tourists generally seem to have the same 30 or so dishes on their menus, shuffled in a slightly different order (you would, for example, almost always find aloo gobi, several biryanis and pilafs, one or more kebabs, banana lassi and gulab jamuns on these menus). Indian table manners are interesting to someone from the West. The Indians I stayed with generally didn't drink anything with their meals, rather having a glass of water after the meal, often followed by chai. Although these people belong to the educated and rather westernised middle class, they still prefer to eat with their fingers. I followed suit and found that it adds an extra dimension to the eating experience. Flat breads like chappatis are used to scoop up the food. A spoon might be used to help eat dal and curries with lots of sauce, but curries would also be mixed with rice and either scooped up with bread or with the fingers. The right hand is used for eating, and it is quite interesting to see bread being torn skilfully with one hand while the left hand rests in the person's lap or on the table. Guidebooks give the reason that the left hand is considered unclean, but among educated people the (almost) exclusive use of the right hand is surely by now more of a tradition than anything else. In Indian restaurants outside India the food tends to taste milder than it does in India. By that I don't just mean less chili, but less spiciness in general, although my favourite Indian restaurant in ReykjavÃk gives you a choice between genuine and mild. Another difference is that stews/curries where meat would be just one of many flavourings in India, have heaps more meat in them, which can alter the flavour and texture of dishes quite a bit. I long for the day when someone opens a south Indian restaurant in ReykjavÃk. We are currently well served in the northern Indian, mughal and Pakistani varieties, but I would love to be able to order dosas and idlis. If you want to try cooking Indian foods at home, try any of Madhur Jaffrey's Indian cookbooks, or Julie Sahni's Classic Indian Cooking. Both not only give recipes but also regional and technical background to the recipes....See MoreAnyone Do Serious Wok Cooking?
Comments (39)Firearms? Have you been hunting for your food? One of the reasons I left Texas was the proliferation of guns. I cannot imagine ever owning one, but I'm good with a bow and arrow. I saw on CBS news that guns are the most effective method for suicide, and so I understand that someone who suffers from depression should not have access. I hope your son get professional help - there might be medications that could help. I personally think that depression is in part caused by chemical imbalances, and diet can possibly be part of the reason. For me, sugar could trigger what appeared to be manic depressive episodes. Trailrunner, have you tried rotating your phone when taking photos, or does it automatically convert them to portrait orientation? I rotated this photo for you because it was difficult for me to identify the food in the portrait orientation. Are the red bits tomato? At first, I thought they were red bell pepper, until I checked your second photo. I've never cooked tomatoes in a wok, and so that is an interesting variation for me. I really like the large shadow of the wok in the first photo, and I love the outdoor wok setup! Now I want one of those....See MoreKnife sharpening update
Comments (35)Thanks, Lars. The description makes it sound easy to position the knife, but I had a CC sharpener 25? years ago and found that there was wiggle room and it wasn't always easy to just drop the knife into the slot. I notice that in the webstaurantstore site, there is a sharpener (~$198) by another company (for commercial use) and the magnet can be removed for cleaning and getting rid of the filings or swarf. The description for the sharpeners fails to mention the bevel angle. Ever heard of Mercer sharpeners? It is the same essential design as the CC and would pose the same positioning issue. https://www.webstaurantstore.com/mercer-culinary-m10000-triple-diamond-3-stage-professional-electric-knife-sharpener/470M10000.html Lars, did you find that the 2nd slot then the stropping slot got your knives sharp? I like a very sharp knife. I have some water stones (as well as oil stones). IIRC, the finest water stone is maybe 4,000, maybe 5,000. But then I have to use a hone and it still doesn't keenly chop/slice (parsley, onion). I'm wondering if I should get an 8000 stone, or mess with angle guides. I often do use the Black sharpie technique (dcarch above). When I bought my 8" Victorinox chef's knife, it was super sharp right out of the packaging. I could nearly give myself a cut (not my objective) just by looking at it. I want most of my knives sharp like THAT! A local guy has a pricy Edge Pro system. That takes time and has a learning curve. $$$. He charges about $1/inch. Either I am not getting the angle right or sharpening long enough, or or or. I don't think I can ever detect a blasted 'burr.' I slice (some fine chop) and cook a lot. I'm trying to heel a sore, problematic shoulder and arm. I've even fantasized about buying a crate of new knives.... Pone thing that did work for a long while, before it wore out, was a thin round, no-name "sharpening" rod coated with very fine diamond powder. $4.50! I recently bought a diamond rod, but it's not as fine a grit, doesn't get the edge all that keen with just a couple light strokes. I have a fine Arkansas stone (white-gray), albeit an oil stone (inherited). Maybe I should use that after the 5,000 water stone. I've watched many YouTube videos. I move the knife edge away, not into the stone (I don't lead with the knife edge). And, I think I understand that very keenly sharpened edges don't last well, particularly on the sort of so-so steel that's in most of my knives -- like that in the Victotinox. I'll look at this video again: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=te1KIpGyz-4#fauxfullscreen ed-- typos...See MoreHow do you get to be a good cook?
Comments (59)I maintain that an old GF of mine believed the smoke detector was a timer. Anyway, a couple thoughts: For cookbooks, I still like the church/school/local fundraiser type cookbooks. Yes, there's duplicates and yes it'll use canned goods and other convenience items but for confidence building they're a good place to start IMO. Plus I find many of them entertaining to read. You've said you cook soup, stew, roast, etc, so you're not a total newbie to cooking. Do you like what you cook? If so, you're a good cook. Has anyone complemented you on your cooking? If so, it's confirmed. "Good" is a subjective term. If you don't like your cooking or are "meh" about it, what's wrong? Under/over seasoned? Under/over cooked? If something like that, that's a good place to start. "Cooking" is also apparently a subjective term. I know people to take a store-bought rotisserie chicken, some frozen vegetables, a can of soup, some Minute Rice and a frozen pie crust with some canned pie filling and say they "cooked". OK. If that's cooking to them, more power to them. Don't get me wrong, convenience foods are fine if that's your thing and often it can help you improve. Example: Maybe you like lasagna and start with a frozen one. Then maybe you think it needs more cheese and a little more seasoning. Good. Put on more cheese and add some seasoning. Make your own garlic bread to go with it. Then when you're more confident, try making a lasagna of your own. You don't need to make your own noodles unless you want to. And there are some good bottled/canned pasta sauces. Try some different cheeses you like. Maybe put in some cooked sausage instead of hamburger or stick with burger. Do a little more each time or progress at your own speed. Are you being intimidated by the shows that everything has to be "gourmet" or some fancy presentation? I personally do not eat with my eyes, I eat with my mouth and my taste buds tell me if it's good or not. That piece of parsley on the plate and having the fish sticks stacked in a pyramid do nothing for me. I suspect there's some modesty here. Like I said, you know how to cook some things so don't put yourself down. I know a several people who would love to be able to cook roasts, soups, stews, etc....See More- 9 days agolast modified: 9 days ago
- 9 days ago
- 9 days ago
- 9 days agolast modified: 9 days ago
- 9 days agolast modified: 9 days ago
- 9 days agolast modified: 9 days ago
- 9 days agolast modified: 9 days ago
- 9 days agolast modified: 9 days ago
- 9 days ago
- 8 days ago
- 8 days agolast modified: 8 days ago
- 7 days agolast modified: 7 days ago
- 7 days ago
- 6 days ago
- 6 days agolast modified: 6 days ago
- 5 days ago
- 5 days ago
- 5 days ago
- 5 days ago
- 5 days agolast modified: 5 days ago
- 5 days ago
- 5 days ago
- 5 days ago
Related Stories

KITCHEN DESIGNHouzz Call: What’s Cooking in Your Kitchen?
Most of us turn to recipes, videos and culinary shows when we cook. Where do you set your cookbook, tablet or TV screen?
Full Story
OUTDOOR KITCHENSYour Guide to Grills and More for Great Outdoor Cooking
Learn the pros and cons of gas versus charcoal grills, and about neat add-ons that let you do more
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESAn Expat’s Guide to Making a Home Away From Home
How do you stay balanced when each foot is in a different culture? You take a stand where you hang your hat
Full Story
LIFEA Therapist’s Guide to Dealing With Conflict at Home
Piles of laundry and dirty dishes are a part of cohabitating. Here’s how to accept it and move forward
Full Story
MOST POPULARExclusive Video of Wright’s Jaw-Dropping Hollyhock House
Immerse yourself in the stunningly restored Frank Lloyd Wright masterpiece
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESA Designer’s 8 Go-to Decor Pieces
Classic designs such as a Saarinen table and a Chinese garden stool will lift just about any room
Full Story
LIFEA Month-by-Month Guide to ‘Downton Abbey’ Withdrawal
Missing Lady Grantham’s zingers? Edith’s furrowed brow? Romance simmering downstairs? Here’s help to get you through until season 6
Full Story
ENTERTAININGHouzz Guide: How to Set a Table
Here’s everything you need to know to prep your table for a get-together
Full Story
MOST POPULAR6 Kitchen Flooring Materials to Boost Your Cooking Comfort
Give your joints a break while you're standing at the stove, with these resilient and beautiful materials for kitchen floors
Full Story













HU-113737678