Let's talk about this list……..
4 months ago
last modified: 4 months ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (11)
- 4 months ago
Related Discussions
Let's Talk about Late Bloomers....
Comments (23)I don't want anyone to think I was saying people should not post their bloomers no matter what zone they were in. What is not helpful information for me in my garden might be just the thing to know for someones elses garden. As far as what I have gotten in late bloomers. I went for all those Olallie late ones that they list as September bloomers. Then I do have some growing here I hope will be the right bloom time. I have Richard Norris' CORAL MAJORITY which should bloom late. Bloomed here its first year (put in this spring) around peak bloom. But I did get late bloom from Brian Culver's VICTORIANA and Melanie Mason's GUAVA JELLY. Both new this spring. JUM MURPHY's LAST CHANCE FOR ROMANCE is listed as very late and just bloomed. I also have Jim's ALCHEMIST, should be late but first year flowers bloomed earlier. I have Don Herr's IN HIS HANDS listed as late blooming, bloomed earlier on first year plant. I have Bret Clemment's BLAST FROM THE PAST, has not bloomed. New this year listed as very late. I have FINAL DESTINATION from Karol Emmerich. Blooming now. Then I have 6 Dale Thomas intros that I put in late this spring from Perfect Perrenials in PA. Dale hybridizes in PA zone 6 and these all should bloom in August as listed as late and very late. Bloomed at peak bloom here their first year. Hope thats not going to be the trend with them as I really liked the flowers on them and would really be liking to see them in August when there was not much going on here. Even early August would be wonderful. I liked them so much I would like to find more of them but they seem impossible to find. I also would like to find some of Betty Harwoods late bloomers but again, impossible to find. I feel this was a small start to my plans of expanding bloom here into August. Sime I have so many "normal" season bloomers and don't have room for 200 late bloomers (do that many truely lates even exhist?) it means I will probably never have as much bloom in August as July but I will work on it. This of course, doesn't count rebloom. I have no idea when and how much rebloom I will have here as the northern hybridized "guaranteed" rebloomers were just put in this year and too new too rebloom. The exception seem to be many Emmerich intros that are just as new but have rebloom scapes currently....See MoreLet's talk about herbs!
Comments (21)Hidcote Blue is a pretty lavender but did not survive the winter for me. Mumstead has come back each year since 1999. I grow most of the herbs listed using them for ground cover, host plants, cooking, munching, and for the pleasure of their aromas. One not listed that I grow is burnett which is used in salads for its cucumbery taste. I love golden oregano for the color and aroma though it needs to be corraled or will spread everywhere. Ditto for ginger mint, chocolate mint, etc. mint. Thyme is a favorite herb used as ground cover and for culinary purposes. Have several varieties and always open to adding another. I lost my coconut and lavender thymes last year. New to me this year will be agastache and cilantro. Will wintersow seeds that were sent as trades/swaps....See MoreLet's Talk About Meal Planning
Comments (13)I follow weight watchers and I find that if I plan out our weekly menu it's easier, I eat healthier and it's much less expensive, though I will admit there were weeks (especially while house hunting) where everything got messed up. It's difficult to be dedicated to this, but when we don't (I mean, when I don't) plan we either eat out or eat pasta. I have a huge list of food blogs that I go to for ideas. We also eat very little meat during the week because we do not support factory farms and cannot really afford the meat otherwise. We have DH daughter on weekends, so we save the meat meals for then, otherwise it's just the 2 of us. I do the planning and buy the groceries, DH cooks, but I do get his OK on the chosen meals. So, here is what I do. Sometime during the weekend I check out what we have left that needs to be used up and write that down. Then I ask DSD and DH if they have any requests for the next weekend. Then I start searching/reading my food blogs and weight watchers cook books. I find recipes or whatever for dinners Sunday - Saturday night, and either more for lunches, or plan the dinners to be bigger to accommodate extra portions. Then I get "approval" from DH. I write up 2 lists (I like to write things down). 1 is each recipe's ingredients. The other is all the items we need from the store. This way if I get to the store and need to eliminate one of the recipes or make some other change, I can check all the recipes and see if that will cause changes anywhere else. We do the shopping Sunday. I try to plan for an easy meal for Sunday night cuz who wants to do all that work after shopping? Otherwise, each meal does not have a set day. It seems like a lot of work, but honestly, our grocery bill has dropped dramatically, and it's so much easier to come home and check the list for dinner then to come home tired at the end of the day to a bunch of random groceries and say "hm, what can we make out of this", which is when we end up eating out, not cost effective. Life does get in the way, he does get too tired to cook, but I do try to plan some simple meals for the worst days. Grilled veggie burgers is one of them. He wants to make up a spreadsheet of meals we've tried and rate them for easy picking when I don't have time to plan. This week is bad because my back is very injured and I've been in a lot of pain since Saturday. I don't think it even occurred to him to plan or go shopping :( But my appetite is pretty much gone, so we can have pasta all week if he wants LOL I'd like to eventually get to the once or twice a month cooking, but that's a very long term goal! I hope this ramble helped someone!!!...See MoreLet's talk about the new tv shows
Comments (17)I only watched the first episode of Blood and Oil and could see how the whole thing was laid out for the season. It's way too breathless, in the current way of ABC shows, without the kind of dynamic lead that the Shonda shows have. The first episode of Blindspot is a total mess and I nearly dumped it, but there was nothing else interesting on when the second one aired and it was better. Turns out to be more intriguing than it should be. There's a woowoo element to it -- the tattoos seem too predictive to be merely roadmaps from old information, but even though there's really not much there, I find I enjoy it and like the characters. I liked the Limitless film, so have been watching the series. It keeps thinking like a film, however, and is going to exhaust itself or eat its young. For the moment, I like it kind of middling. It's sort of like a comic book style Castle with the naive rogue outsider leaping in. I wouldn't miss it if it were gone. I really like Quantico. It has the most depth of any of these shows. It has a lot of depth for a show that has depth. The characters are very well drawn and distinguishable one from the next, which is rare on TV ensembles. The parallel story telling between the academy and the future can be annoying, especially if one doesn't have eyes glued to the screen, but, unlike in some shows, there is enough difference between the characters and their past selves, and their relationships and the past relationships, that it's really very interesting. There's also some of that ABC breathless quality, but since there's actual peril, not made up soap opera peril, and since it's driven by a forward moving plot, it doesn't bother me. It's my favorite new show. I like Heroes Reborn, but it's not exactly new. :) And I liked Heroes. I think it's supposed to be a limited run, which is good, since the plot is save the world. For self-contained, episodic procedural, I like Rosewood. It could be an 80's show, but I like that the rogue outsider is a qualified professional rather than just some dude, and it doesn't matter what the body of the week is--I could just watch Morris Chestnut and listen to his voice and be sufficiently entertained. :) The supporting players are also good, though, so it's not a one man show, and it's a thrill every time the great Lorraine Toussaint has a scene (as his mother)....See More
Related Stories

TILELet’s Talk Tile: An Alphabetical Guide to Tile Terminology
Get set for a tile project with this handy glossary of shapes, materials, finishes and more
Full Story
GREEN BUILDINGLet’s Clear Up Some Confusion About Solar Panels
Different panel types do different things. If you want solar energy for your home, get the basics here first
Full Story
WORKING WITH PROSHow to Talk About Your Style With Home Pros
Use these checklists and ideas to help your designer understand the looks you love
Full Story
LATEST NEWS FOR PROFESSIONALSTalking About the Budget Doesn’t Have to Be Awkward
These 4 tips can help when you’re discussing project costs with clients
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESExpert Talk: Designers Open Up About Closet Doors
Closet doors are often an afterthought, but these pros show how they can enrich a home's interior design
Full Story
LATEST NEWS FOR PROFESSIONALS10 Home Design Trends Pros Can’t Stop Talking About in 2025
See fresh ideas — cozy palettes, layered textures, spa-inspired baths — experts say are defining today’s homes
Full Story
TRENDING NOW10 Home Design Trends Pros Can’t Stop Talking About in 2025
See fresh ideas — cozy palettes, layered textures, spa-inspired baths — experts say are defining today’s homes
Full Story
KITCHEN ISLANDSLet’s Go Island Hopping Again
Check out these 92 kitchens with binge-worthy islands in a variety of shapes, materials and styles
Full Story
FUN HOUZZHouzz Call: Tell Us About Your Dream House
Let your home fantasy loose — the sky's the limit, and we want to hear all about it
Full Story
LIFEThat’s a Talker: 10 Stories You Had Lots to Say About This Year
The world’s ugliest color, tubs vs. showers, and TVs over fireplaces had readers talking in 2016. Tell us what you think
Full Story
murraysmom Zone 6a OH