Do you set up New Year goals or do an annual records clean up?
9 months ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (21)
Related Discussions
10 Year Engine Clean-Up
Comments (14)rc- it's a four stroke. I've done all you mentioned including having chaged the fuel lines a few times over the decade. It just keeps running well with oil changes and air filter (oil bath) maintenance. It's one bow to modern engines is an electronic ignition. While parts are available I'm plannig on purchasing a new starter motor, fuel pump and ignition over the next year. larsol- the Goldoni's haven't had an equal in the US since the Gravley went out of production. The video you posted shows some of its features. It has two PTO's so one can drive the rear end of a cart and operate a spray pump. There are brush hog, sickle bar cutter and hay bailer implements. I have a furrower which itself is over 100# and a cultivator (tiller). With the cultivator the unit weighs in around 600# which gives it lots of traction. It also has a slip differential and lock out. But of course the engine is what makes it all run. The new units have Intermotor diesels and if this engine ever went I may go that route with a replacement. But my goal is to have this engine run well as long as I do. Tom...See MoreWhen do you do garden clean-up?
Comments (17)Twice = since I have both white and red oaks the leaves for one get cleaned up in fall and the other in spring. I do remove daylily and iris foliage as I think it contributes to spot fungus and I believe they both like their roots chilled but sun warmed winter soils and like to go without mulch in winter. All the veggie beds get cleaned and tilled in fall so the chill will kill the critters trying to overwinter. Most years they also get sown with green manure though (winter grains). I wait for the last of the Beauty Berry shrubs' berries to be picked clean, the Chaste Tree berries fallen, the thornless blackberries' ugly canes bothering me, the grapes that no longer are interesting, and the Butterfly Bushes just barely putting out new leaves (about DH's birthday Feb. 19) before I hack them down quite severely. I never do anything in Nov., Dec., and Jan. since there are too many other things to do inside where it is warm. In Feb. I get antsy and go out for hours in anticipation of spring, or should I say "cabin fever"? The fruit trees get pruned then and the asters do too. When I notice the new green mum rosettes their dried uglies get whacked. I always forget about the spirea's pruning in fall so they just get taller every year because I don't want to miss their spring show. I do a lot of compost turning in winter and forget it in spring. I pile on leaves and end of harvest stuff but greens never make it there until spring weeding. Probably worthless endeavor in the winter but I like to run my tractor more in winter. Nancy the nancedar...See MoreWhat annuals do you buy every year?
Comments (21)For me, changing it up every year is what is the most fun. I love trying different vibrant color combos, and try to use plants that attract hummingbirds to the planters on the patio. I like browsing www.provenwinners.com in their container combos section, you can search for combos for all seasons and color palettes. I also like to take inspiration from the White Flower Farm catalog's annuals combination photos - drool worthy! One last fun place to check out online is http://www.kinsmangarden.com/category/URL_970 They have very inspiring ideas there and such lush plantings. I just bought my annuals last weekend, and when they recover from transplanting and start blooming, I will post pics to show the combos. This year I have the following planters: 1) In a blue ceramic planter: Persian shield, lavender geranium, white bacopa, 2 purple nemesias, 1 lavender trailing verbena. 2) In a butter yellow ceramic planter: Elfin Pink penstemon, yellow/pink lantana, yellow African daisy, sweet potato vine in bright green, 1 yellow million bells petunia and 1 medium pink spreading mini petunia. 3)Semi-shade black urn: Coleus (orange-reddish freckles on bright green background), green sweet potato vine, and a orangey-pink begonia. 4)Hayrack basket on gate: hot pink million bells petunia flanked by 2 deep purple trailing petunias, and blue horizon ageratum along back of basket. 5) Smaller terracotta planter: Taller dark purple petunias, bright blue nemesia with white eye, and white salvia. 6) Hanging baskets: 1 Fuchsia for the hummingbirds and 1 mixed hanging basket with yellow and purple mini petunias, white bacopa, and lavender trailing verbena. 7) Front door planters: Bought 2 lush hanging baskets of bright deep magenta wave petunias and cut the "hanging" part off, then plopped the "basket" part into the planters. Less expensive than buying individual plants and gives instant impact! Amy...See MoreDo you set reading goals for yourself?
Comments (26)The newest version of Tess of the D'Urbervilles is set to be shown on MASTERPIECE CLASSICS on PBS in two 2-hour episodes, commencing 4 January 2009. See link below for more info. I caught an installment when I was in England and wished I could have seen the rest. It looked, from what I saw, to be a more detailed adaptation than either the A&E version of the 1990s or Roman Polanski's film. I found a couple of the young actors rather annoying, including the one playing Tess -- she wasn't very expressive, in my opinion, but maybe she was better in other parts. But the older actors seemed well cast, including the wonderful Anna Massey as Mrs D'Urberville. Yep, Tess and most of Hardy's books are real downers -- Little Father Time in Jude, oh mercy!! But I have a real soft spot for Tess. I guess I first read it at exactly the right time for me. Here is a link that might be useful: Tess on Masterpiece...See More- 9 months ago
- 9 months ago
- 9 months ago
- 9 months ago
- 9 months ago
- 9 months ago
- 9 months ago
Related Stories

HEALTHY HOME12 Ways to Set Up Your Kitchen for Healthy Eating
Making smart food choices is easier when your kitchen is part of your support team
Full Story
LIFEIt’s National Novel Writing Month. How to Set Up Your Space
There’s nothing like a deadline to get creative sparks to fly. The right workspace (and coffee station) helps too
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: Set Up a Comfy Guest Room
Soft and warm, these neutral-toned furnishings and accessories will make guests feel welcomed with open arms
Full Story
FALL GARDENING7 Reasons Not to Clean Up Your Fall Garden
Before you pluck and rake, consider wildlife, the health of your plants and your own right to relax
Full Story
ORGANIZINGSet Up a Paper Management System in 5 Easy Steps
Invest a few hours in creating a simple system to help keep paper clutter under control
Full Story
LATEST NEWS FOR PROFESSIONALSHow to Set Business Goals for a Successful Year
Follow this step-by-step guide to reviewing your business and planning for the year
Full Story0

LATEST NEWS FOR PROFESSIONALSHow to Set Better Business Goals for the Coming Year
A new year brings new opportunities to look ahead and build a better home-centric business
Full Story0

LIFE10 Ways to Get That Back-to-School Feeling (for Grown-Ups)
Make a fresh start with a reading list, new cooking goals, a wardrobe decluttering and more
Full Story
LIFESlow Down and Ease Up: A Sanity-Saving Approach to Life
Why not take the pressure off and live a little more consciously in 2017? The challenging goals can wait
Full Story
LIFE10 Habits That May Be Messing Up Your House
Start your year right by busting these clutter-inducing habits and creating a tidier interior
Full Story
Toronto Veterinarian