All Creatures Great & Small
9 months ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (19)
Related Discussions
Dried Blood? Squirrels laugh, carnage ensues
Comments (19)My suggestion would be the same as Glib's - electric fence. My setup is a bit different. It uses a FI Shock 525 constant 1350 V charger which range from $25 to $35 depending on where you get it. I paid $25 at Lowes. Alternative is the Zareba Red Snapr 33C selling for about the same price. This was the charger I had for the first 8 years, then it died. My wire and insulators were about $15, purchased 8 years ago. Today these would likely be about $25. Poles to hold the wire were free - I had something that worked perfectly. So the whole setup would likely be about $60 (a guess). Normal setup is 6 and 12 inches. You'd need to go lower for squirrels... probably 3 for the lower wire. I have 3 wire lengths which can be put down and taken up in minutes. Wire is spooled onto an extension cord hand spool. The constant 1350 voltage is not high enough to harm most animals. Even our cat did not have any issues with it. The only animals lost thus far were an occasional bird or frog. It's possible the pulse chargers might have had no creature losses. However, these models had a few negative reviews on ability to keep raccoons out. And, raccoons are my main problem. The electric fence controls raccoons, oppossums, rabbits and squirrels. My electric fence was one of the best investments I've ever made....See MoreAll creatures great and small, except voles
Comments (5)Thanks for the ideas! eric, they've been eating my foot-tall broccoli plants leaf by leaf, and have chewed sturdy indoor-grown seedlings down to the ground the day they were planted. I'd probably have to keep them under row covers all season. I spent Sunday clearing out a rock pile and a stack of sod where I've seen them hide and cutting all the grass in the borders. Then I put out mouse traps baited with almond butter and caught a half dozen voles within a day, of all different sizes. A whole family of them must have moved in. The landowners have mowed the meadow, which will make the voles more visible to predators. We have hawks and eagles circling overhead, and a fox has been hanging around. But I have a feeling I'll need to keep some traps out indefinitely, unless I get an owl for a tenant....See MoreWhat on Earth Is This?
Comments (6)The interior is dry--almost like a bowl of powder. Most puffballs in my earlier experience were whitish egg-shaped fungi with a small hole on top through which the spores would "puff" when the wall was pushed. I started to say wall of the "plant" but I now know that is an error--they are not plants, and are in fact more akin to animals than plants. These fungi I have never seen before (in the 3 years I've been in Oklahoma). I don't know whether I've not paid attention, or whether it's the moisture? Here is what I found out about them: Common Name: Earthstar Scleroderma Fruiting Body: 1 1/2 - 4 1/2" wide, round to oval or irregular when closed, expanding up to 6" across and resembling a giant earthstar when open. Spore Case: wall 1/8-3/8" thick, hard, rind-like, rough, arcolate to somewhat scaly, dingy white to straw colored or pale yellow-brown, splitting open at maturity into 4-8 star-like rays and exposing the spore mass. Edibility: poisonous Spore Mass: firm when young, becoming powdery, brown to purplish brown, becoming blackish brown at maturity. Microscopic Features: spores 5-10 microns, globose, coated with shot spines Fruiting: solatary or in groups on or partially buried in sandy soil, often along roads or on hillsides; August-November; uncommon....See MoreBook of the Week
Comments (7)Pam - I remember TrickiWoo, the highly indulged Peke! James would always try to time his visits for just prior to lunchtime, because he so enjoyed the food and drink hospitality extended by the dog's owner, Mrs. Pumphrey. He had to face some teasing at the office at being pampered by Mrs. Pumphrey and even more so when he received an invitation from TrickiWoo for an evening of dinner and dancing. Then he is called upon to care for Nugent, a pig living at the same household, who turns out to just as generous with gifts as was Tricki. "As always, Siegfried's sardonic attitude made things a little uncomfortable; I had suffered in the past when I got the signed photographs from the little dog - but I never dared let him see the one from the pig." LOL...See More
Related Stories

COLLECTIONSFlea Market Find: Brass Creatures Warm Up the Room
Work some classic bling into your home with these 10 ideas
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESYour Decor: Creature Comforts
Add Character to a Space With the Lively Shapes of Animals
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESGreat Design Plant: Autumn Fern Adds Color All Year
Use this evergreen, easy-care fern for soft texture and coppery tints in container gardens and the landscape at large
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESGreat Design Plant: Evergreen Huckleberry Appeals All Year
Spring flowers and summer berries are only half the story with Vaccinium ovatum, a versatile Pacific Northwest native plant
Full Story
WINDOW TREATMENTSSmall Luxuries: Motorized Window Coverings Offer Benefits to All
Free yourself from the mess of cords and the bother of blind rods. Motorized blinds and drapes make managing natural light easy
Full Story
EXTERIORSGreat Design Element Our Grandparents Knew All About: Awnings
This time-tested feature for shading and cooling is enjoying a resurgence
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESGreat Design Plant: Strawberries for All Seasons
An edible carpet? It's possible with a mass planting of this tough ground cover
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNHot Seats! 12 Great Bar Stools for All Kitchen Styles
Seek some hide, go backless, pick a swivel or a footrest — these stools let you belly up to the bar or island however you like
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESGreat Design Plant: Try California Wild Grape for Interest All Year
Sure, it’s stunning in fall. But the spring buds, summer grapes and gnarled winter vines are gorgeous too
Full Story
hobbitmom