October - What we're reading
last year
last modified: last year
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (68)
- last yearlast modified: last year
- 12 months agolast modified: 12 months ago
Related Discussions
What are we reading in October?
Comments (69)I tried Ministry of Utmost Happiness and it just was not the right time or something so I returned it. Might try it again. I do like the name. Somewhere I had heard Lincoln in the Bardo was supposed to be very fine so I did seek it out and just finished it. It is highly acclaimed, and was interesting in parts , but mostly I just made myself read it and finish it, I think because I felt guilty about not sticking with Ministry of Utmost Happiness. lol sort of. I think Lincoln in the Bardo was a over my head. but I do feel a sense of accomplishment. I would say it was The Whole Town's Talking but not as easy to follow and less entertaining. Next up for real will be the Cooking Gene which now that I have looked into it, really does look like it will be a great read. Will keep you all posted....See MoreOctober 2018, Week 2, We're Gonna Need A Bigger Boat
Comments (43)Larry, That is a beautiful and awesomely tall example of variegated reed grass! Maybe yours is going to get head high to the Jolly Green Giant? Jacob, If I didn't have the 8' tall deer fence all around both garden plots, the deer and I would not be friends. I think Bambi lost her mother, perhaps to a hunter. We have tons and tons of fawns this year---it seems that most does had at least twins this year and one that comes regularly has triplets. I love seeing them. If only the fawns could stay little, cute and adorable forever. People who hunt the property due west of us (it is the buffer that sits between us and the river, so they get a ton of wildlife) are getting pretty large bucks every year....say they sit on their property and wait for the bucks to come off our property. I rarely see the bucks because they feed at night, but I know they are there because every now and then late at night when we are out late, we spot them as we are arriving home. I tried for the first 8 or 10 years to have nice landscaping around the house/yard, which my husband stubbornly refuses to fence off with an 8' fence. The deer ate every single thing I planted, so I finally gave up. Now we just have trees, shrubs, trumpet creeper vines (because apparently the deer don't eat those), grass and some four o'clocks. Everything else? Hostas, hydrangeas, roses, perennial salvias, any annual flowers I planted for color, day lilies, etc......all deer chow. They even would eat the tough, prickly leaves of the hollies in drought periods, but finally the hollies are so big and old and tough that they don't bother those any more. If I ever convince Tim to surround our house and yard with a big ugly fence to keep the deer out, I will plant everything I've ever wanted around the house. I think his desire to not have a fence is much stronger than my longing for one. Where he grew up in Pennsylvania surrounded by woodland, nobody had fences so you could look out and feel like you owned hundreds of acres of forest as all the back yards and farms just sort of flowed together. So, he remains anti-fencing based on fond childhood memories from the 1960s and 1970s.....even though, if you go back there to his childhood neighborhood now, everybody has fencing and the farms and woodlands mostly are housing subdivisions with lots of fencing. I still think that someday I'll at least have a fenced back yard I can landscape. We'll see! Nancy, I am so sorry about your mom's passing. I know I don't "have to" comment, but I want to. Tim and I send you and your family our deepest and most sincere condolences. What an incredible, long life she lived, and you did everything you could to move her to the place that was best for her to live out her final stage of her life. You were a great daughter and I suspect it is because you were reared by an amazing mom. When y'all do travel to Buffalo in a few weeks, I wish you a safe journey. I do think Tiny Dude needs to travel with you so he can enchant and delight your friends and family who see his photos on Facebook and undoubtedly want to meet him in real life. Many cats travel well in a cat crate. Do they microchip cats like they do dogs? If they do, I'd get him microchipped in case he escapes from the vehicle, or at least get him a collar with a tag so you could put your cell phone number on the tag. Being close to the interstate where wrecks are frequent, we get lots of requests to watch for/search for pets that escape from a vehicle (not necessarily a wrecked vehicle---pets can bolt from a broken down vehicle when someone gets out to check and see why the engine is acting up or to change a tire or just when their owners stop at a gas station or fast food place). Sometimes you can find the pet, even weeks later, but it is hard by then to figure out which traveler passing through was searching for that pet if they aren't tagged. In my meager 20 years of living here, an early winter almost always equates to a bad winter. Or, for snow-starved southern OK, a really good winter. But, we don't get the ice storms that folks further north get in bad winters so what a lot of you might view as a bad winter, I might think of as a delightfully cold and snowy winter....if we get snow. If we don't get snow, then who cares? All winter without snow means is that we are cold and wet. I don't like being cold and wet, but I love snow. Not that I've had much snow to love. Our county does sometimes get the ice storms that bring down trees and power lines, but so far, that sort of weather never has come as far south as our house---it has made it down to maybe 3 or 4 miles north of us though. The bad thing is that if we get cold enough for ice and snow, then we get cold enough to lose Zone 8 plants that I planted here in order to see if they would survive here. They will survive here for a few years until we get an extra cold winter and snow. So, I sort of hope for snow, and sort of don't. I rarely plant Zone 8 plants here any more, although I planted a couple this past year.....which pretty much guarantees a cold winter is coming so it can wipe them out. I haven't seen a hummingbird since a week ago Thursday, but left the feeders up in case any were going to ride down on the big cold fronts. I haven't seen any, but will leave the feeders up until Monday or Tuesday, just in case, and then take them down. We ended up with the oldest granddaughter coming to stay with us for the weekend after her plans to spend the weekend with her dad fell through at the absolute last minute. We are always excited to have her come visit for a weekend, even if it wasn't planned. So, we ate dinner out with her, her mom and Chris last night, and then they headed home to get sleep before the busy work weekend with long shifts scheduled at work. We went to Wal-mart after dinner and bought everything we needed to stay home indoors and out of the rain today. We're going to carve pumpkins, which she has been dying to do....but I wanted to wait for cooler weather so the heat wouldn't ruin the Jack-o-lanterns. I think the heat isn't an issue any more. We're going to decorate Halloween Jack-o-lantern cookies (pre-baked and sold with a decorating kit). She has a long list of Halloween crafts she wants to make, including the Halloween version of a gingerbread house (we'll see about that one), so we'll work out way through that list as much as we can. I awakened at six and saw on the radar that the rain was almost here so rushed to get the dogs outdoors ahead of the rain's arrival. Whew! That was close but we made it. We're supposed to have rain all morning. How deeply into the afternoon the rain lasts is the unknown. I wish it would blow through faster, but it might be a long, rainy day here. We're ready for it and aren't planning on going out in it. I have some amaranth in the garden with huge flowering seed heads I'd hoped to have harvested and drying by now, but the relentless rain has kept me from cutting them. I keep hoping for a warm, sunny, windy day without rain so they can dry out some and then I'll cut them. I think if I cut them while they are so wet, they'll just mildew and look awful. I want the flower heads for autumn flower arrangements, but the rain may ruin that idea. When I planted the amaranth seeds in July, I wasn't expecting record rainfall in September and October. Have a lovely Saturday everyone. I hope those of you that the rain keeps missing will get some of this moisture plume left over from Sergio. The unfortunate thing is that it seems largely to be traveling over areas that already have had too much rain recently, so flash flooding and flooding likely will occur in those areas. The Red River is up and running fast and looked ugly last night, so this rain will just make that worse. I am thinking the winter wheat crop here likely is ruined. Too, too much rain even for seeds to sprout and grow, so it is more likely that if the seeds sprout, then the young plants rot. That's so unfortunate, but that is how life goes here on the southern plains. Dawn...See MoreDecember 2018 - What We're Reading
Comments (72)Donnamira, I am full of admiration! I believe that you are not compelled to vote either as we are in Australia. However, I can postal vote in advance or opt for going to an Early Voting booth, which is in my local shopping centre and this best suits me as there is rarely a queue. On the actual voting day, charities have a "Democracy Sausage Sizzle" so that one can at least get something to eat while waiting. Amusingly there is a difference between the States on the presentation. The Eastern States like the sausage folded in a slice of white bread while we in the West have ours in a long bun. Then there is the case for fried onions, top or bottom? Quite Lilliputian?...See MoreWhat are we reading in October 2019?
Comments (131)Lucky Annie, you get to immerse yourself in Moscow for a transcendent reading experience! It was definitely one of those books that left me so sad to come to the last page. I"m in the midst of reading one of the JA Jance Joanna Brady/JP Beaumont series of mysteries. This one is Fire and Ice, and although it's listed as a Beaumont mystery (I've not read that series from its start) it is actually a dual storyline book; each character alternates chapters. They are working separate cases but eventually they will dovetail and the protagonists will connect. I want to thank the person, apologies for not recalling exactly who, that recommended the Joanna Brady books. Love them, and reading one is definitely literary comfort food. I know I'll get solid characters, an intriguing mystery and a sense I've checked in with some virtual friends....See More- 12 months ago
- 12 months ago
- 12 months agolast modified: 12 months ago
- 12 months ago
- 12 months ago
- 12 months agolast modified: 12 months ago
- 12 months ago
- 12 months ago
- 12 months ago
- 12 months agolast modified: 12 months ago
- 12 months agolast modified: 12 months ago
- 12 months ago
- 12 months ago
- 12 months ago
- 11 months ago
- 11 months agolast modified: 11 months ago
- 11 months ago
- 11 months agolast modified: 11 months ago
- 11 months ago
- 11 months ago
- 11 months ago
- 11 months ago
- 11 months ago
- 11 months ago
- 11 months ago
- 11 months ago
- 11 months ago
- 11 months ago
- 11 months ago
- 11 months ago
- 11 months ago
- 11 months ago
- 11 months agolast modified: 11 months ago
- 11 months ago
- 11 months ago
- 11 months agolast modified: 11 months ago
- 11 months ago
- 11 months ago
- 11 months agolast modified: 11 months ago
- 11 months ago
- 11 months ago
- 11 months ago
- 11 months ago
- 11 months ago
- 11 months ago
- 11 months ago
Related Stories

LIFEWhat You’re Reading This Summer — and Where
Check out Houzzers’ summer reading lists and get some ideas for your own!
Full Story
MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSOctober Checklist for a Smooth-Running Home
You're due for some winterizing, like clearing rain gutters and stowing swimsuits — but leave time for a fun project
Full Story

GARDENING GUIDESSoutheast Gardener's October Checklist
When you're not toting houseplants back inside or planting cool-season crops, you can start preparing garden beds for next year
Full Story
HOMES AROUND THE WORLDWorld of Design: 11 Book Lovers and Where They Like to Read
Bibliophiles across the globe reveal their top books and favorite reading spots, from a 2-story library to an artfully curated book nook
Full Story
LATEST NEWS FOR PROFESSIONALSDesign and Renovation Pros Share What They’re Thankful For
Great product design, new technology and collaboration make these pros grateful. What are you thankful for?
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESFall Is Calling: What to Do in Your October Garden
Get a jump on winter prep or just sit back and watch the leaves fall. The beauty of an autumn garden is in all the choices you have
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESSouthern California Gardener's October Checklist
Get planting happy this month — so many natives, bulbs, cool-season flowers and vegetable crops to choose from, so little time ...
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDES100 Contractor Tips to Read Before You Remodel
Have a better remodel experience with tips from a contractor on how to plan, shop and communicate
Full Story
COLOR8 Bold and Colorful Rooms for Reading
These book lovers’ spaces turn the page on bland with walls and shelves in bright red, deep blue, teal, plum and chartreuse
Full Story
netla