November--Read any good books lately?
last year
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (83)
- last year
- last year
Related Discussions
read any good books lately?
Comments (11)Speaking of long-ago books, did anyone ever read any of the Berry series? So very determinedly an example of their time, and so hilarious. I literally wore out the one where they built a concrete house on a mountainside, and to this day I mentally blame them for my interest in off-the-beaten-path architecture. I also have a tendency to recall their incident with the bear in the woods when I'm hiking and come across blackened stumps. For some reason it makes other hikers nervous when an old lady sees the humpy remains of a lightening-struck stump and begins to guffaw. And memory so often is feline, disappearing when most wanted. I have a poor memory for authors and it's worse for titles, but let me read the first page and --if I've read it before-- I can give you a summary of the contents. I have boxes of books in the attic, waiting for me to forget their existence. I went up the other day and rummaged through a few of the dustiest boxes, and discovered that while I couldn't quote word for word, I still remember the full story line and characterizations of most of them. I guess I'll let them rest undisturbed for another decade or so. A vineyard of books, may not become champagne but hopefully will age into a delightful rosé....See MoreRead any good gardening books lately?
Comments (17)I think any avid gardener needs the basic reference books, such as Dirr, but my favorite garden books to read are those in which the authors talks about their own gardens--how they made them, failures and successes, wonderful word pictures and so on. These I read over and over again. We are lucky in New England to have had a number of such books published thru the years. I have learned a tremendous amount from them, in the most pleasant possible manner. Some I love, in no order: The Country Garden--Josephine Nuese anything by Helen Van Pelt Wilson The Perennial Gardener--Frederick McGourty A Proper Garden--Elisabeth Sheldon (actually upstate NY) Making Things Grow Outdoors--Thalassa Cruso Old Time Gardens--Alice Morse Earle A Patchwork Garden--Sydney Eddison My Garden Comes of Age--Julia Cummins (upstate NY) There are lots more but these are among my favorites. Many are out of print but are easily gotten thru the library or online at bookfinders.com. Would love to hear more recommendations....See MoreAnyone read any good gardening books lately?
Comments (4)I absolutely love using the library's online features! With 3 small children, I either have to make an extra trip down to the library after they are put to bed which doesn't give me much time before the library closes or I have to try and keep them quiet in the upstairs adult section which doesn't usually work very well. Imagine VERY loud voices asking questions like "Why do they have so many computers up here?" "Why do we have to be so quiet?" "When is it time to go hoooome? *whine*" Once I realized how easy it is to do things online, I started using it all the time. I can renew our books online so that I don't have huge late fees. I can put things on hold at our library like popular DVDs or new releases. They are always on hold for someone so it's much easier to get my name on the hold list than it is to find it on the shelf. And of course, the interlibrary loan system is great! I've found so many books using that. Besides the ones I was looking for, I've also found some by using the features "nearby items on shelf" and "find more on these topics". They have a pretty nice setup. Our library also has an ongoing used book, magazine, and CD sale near the front desk. I once found a whole stack of gradening magazines like Garden Gate and Organic Gardening for 25 cents each! And you can check out magazines also. In fact, I just quick bumped over there and put the last 4 issues of Garden Gate on hold (from Waterford library). Oh, and Julie, if you do a search using the words "fine gardening" that magazine is available at Burlington library plus a few others so if you need some reading material this winter but don't want to shell out the money for a magazine that you only read part of, it can be transferred to the Racine library for you. There is also a series called "Fine gardening design guides" that seems to have been put out by the magazine along with a few separate books titled "The Best of Fine Gardening: Perennials", "The Best of Fine Gardening: Shrubs and Trees" and a few others. Does Sturtevant have a library or do you use Racine's? If the bookmobile comes out near you, you have the option of choosing where you want to pick up the items and can switch it to Bookmobile. It's funny, most of the libraries only seem to keep the last 2 years of issues but West Bend has copies of Fine Gardening going back to 1997! I wonder why? Perhaps they have more gardeners in that area or just most storage room. There's a new book by Melinda Myers titled "Month-by-month gardening in Wisconsin : what to do each month to have a beautiful garden all year". I'm going to have to put that on hold. I wonder if they have Birds and Bloom magazine. Well, I'm going to quit bouncing back and forth between websites and just send this before it gets any longer. Kimberly P.S. My library's SHARE program covers these areas: Dodge, Jefferson, Racine, Walworth and Washington Counties. But I'm sure there are similar programs for the other parts of......See MoreSeen any good movies lately
Comments (41)My almost 21-year-old daughter saw American Sniper a couple of weeks ago and loved it. She said that after the movie was over, the entire theater was deathly quiet. No one moved while all the credits rolled through. And then everyone left, as quiet as can be. She said you could hear a pin drop as everyone left. Respectful, I guess. And perhaps blown away by what these great heroes, all of our military people, actually went through over there . . . and here, afterwards as well. I'm anxious to see it, but as the mom of someone who served two tours in Afghanistan, I'm steeling myself as to how it will probably affect me. To me, every soldier is someone's beloved son, daughter, husband, wife or good friend. From what I hear, i'll need to wear waterproof mascara and bring along a lot of Kleenex....See More- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
Related Stories

FEEL-GOOD HOME15 Cozy Book Nooks and What They Want You to Read
Put the beach reads away; these comfy spaces are creating a fall reading list. What books do they suggest to you?
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESDinner and a Good Book: 12 Double-Duty Dining Rooms
Create your own library-inspired reading room by pairing a dining table with bookshelves
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNGood Read: ‘Landscaping Ideas That Work’
Get a landscape architect’s strategies — along with gorgeous, inspiring photos — for a yard you’ll really enjoy
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME9 Dream Summer Reading Spots and the Books That Go With Them
Get inspired by these inspiring outdoor spaces to create your own reading spot — and a new reading list
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMEIt’s National Book Month — Give Your Reading Spot Some Love
Let these cozy nooks and light-washed corners inspire you to make your reading space special
Full Story
HOMES AROUND THE WORLDWorld of Design: 11 Book Lovers and Where They Like to Read
Bibliophiles across the globe reveal their top books and favorite reading spots, from a 2-story library to an artfully curated book nook
Full Story
DENS AND LIBRARIES20 Book Lover’s Spaces That Will Make You Want to Read
Borrow these ideas from spaces designed around a love of books
Full Story


Rosefolly z5