October - What are you reading now?
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (89)
- last year
- last year
Related Discussions
October has rolled around: What are you reading?
Comments (69)Finally read Their Eyes were Watching God by Zora Neal Hurston. Wow. What a read. It's written mostly in AfAm dialect from the south and once I got the hang of that, it was eaz-readin'. It's a bildungsroman novel (or is that repetitive?) of a young AfAm woman who struggles to find out who she is, so it sounds rather "same old story" but the writing is stupendous. If you like to read lyrical descriptions that are heavy with Southern folklore (but not enough to make it confusing), you'll like this. Don't be put off by the dialect. You get the hang of it (or at least I did). Neale Hurston's own biography is a fascinating story in its own right as well. She won a couple of Guggenheims for research, she went to university as an Af Am in 1917 or so (when few women let alone women of color did), and had a successful writing career. And then - she ends up in Florida working as a maid, her writing forgotten for years, has a stroke, ends up in an indigent hospital and dies in an unmarked grave. Alice Walker et al brought her writing to the fore in the 1970's and now she is part of the canon of the Harlem Renaissance (although not everyone might agree with that categorization). Fascinating......See MoreWhat are you reading? October 2022 Edition
Comments (116)I finally finished The Latecomer, which I read about on one of these threads. Sorry don't know who to credit, but thanks for mentioning it. When I looked it up and saw it was about in vitro fertilization and the children born via that method (it's fiction), I was excited to read it. I'm very interested in the ethics of technology and especially the effects on people born, not only via in vitro, but with donor sperm and eggs, surrogacy, etc. I think our technology has gotten way ahead of our ability to think ethically and people's desires to have babies and privileged lives that can pay for things they want without necessarily considering the consequences to the humans they are creating. Since this sounded like it was from the perspective of the children conceived in such a manner, I was excited to see what was written. I love a good dysfunctional family story and wow did it ever deliver! The character development was really good and interesting. The story was very dense and kind of all over the place with lots of seemingly unrelated tangents. But I enjoyed them all. It took me forever to read because I kept having to return it to the library and wait for another copy to become available. I should have just purchased a copy, lol. I think our book group might read The Plot by the same author next month, which Annie reviewed earlier....See MoreOctober ....what are you reading ?
Comments (0)I'm enjoying The Mitford Affair by Marie Bennett, historical fiction relating the involvement the Mitford sisters had with HItler prior to WWII. It's an engaging tale....See MoreWhat Are You Reading? October 2024 Edition
Comments (85)Roxanna, Thanks. I just reserved the first book of the Chronicles of St Mary's series from my library. 😃 I did find the title of the time travel book that I really liked. It was called ‘Time After Time’ by Lisa Grunwald. I'd give it 4 stars. Can't rate it for book groups because I don't do them. I found this book hard to put down. I wish it were a series, but nope, a stand alone novel. A memorable book that stayed with me long after I finished it. I read a series by Connie Willis. It was a 5 book series about time travel during WWII. I read a lot of books on WWII last year. [g] Book #1 was ‘Firewatch’. I'd give the series 3 stars. It was initially very interesting, but as I went through the series, I found the author had a hard time handling the complexity and the stories really bogged down with too much detail. And I like some detail to my stories, but, this was too much even for me. I forgot to rate my book recommendations and I can’t edit that post again. 5 stars Jane Eyre Anne of Green gables To Kill a Mockingbird Anything by Rosamund Pilcher 4.5 stars ‘A Place to Hang the Moon’ ‘The Last Bookshop in London’ Maisie Dobbs series Inspector Armond Gamache Mysteries ‘Beth Chatto’s Woodland Garden’ ‘Younger Next Year’ Some of John Grisham’s books Some of David Baldacci books 4 stars The Maggie Hope Mysteries ‘Mr. Churchill’s. Secretary ‘ ’Time After Time’ 3 Stars ‘Firewatch’ and 4 more in the series...See More- last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
Related Stories


GARDENING GUIDESRocky Mountain Gardener's October Checklist
Winterize now to save money and headaches later, but don't forget to savor this month's magic in the garden
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESTexas Gardener's October Garden Checklist
Earn a "free" bonus by dividing perennials, make planting a priority now for hardy growth next year and keep an eye on your lawn
Full Story
KIDS’ SPACESTrending Now: 10 Popular Rooms Capture the Magic of Being a Kid
An indoor climbing wall and a beanbag reading nook are among the highlights of these charming kid-centered spaces
Full Story
HOUZZ TV5 Design Trends Rising Now
See and read what designers say are the top colors, materials, styles and other elements homeowners are asking for
Full Story
HOUZZ TV5 Home Design Trends Popular Now
Watch a short video and read about the colors and styles design and construction pros say homeowners are asking for
Full Story
HOUZZ TV5 Outdoor Renovation Trends to Know About Now
Watch a short video and read about popular features from the 2024 U.S. Houzz Outdoor Trends Study
Full Story
HOME INNOVATIONSConsidering Renting to Vacationers? Read This First
More people are redesigning their homes for the short-term-rental boom. Here are 3 examples — and what to consider before joining in
Full Story
STORAGETrending Now: 8 Ideas From the Most Popular New Closets
Hide your jewelry behind a mirror, build your own clothing rack, hang a chandelier. Which closet idea do you like best?
Full Story
annpanagain