Medicare supplement questions
2 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (19)
Related Discussions
Choosing 2011 Medicare Supplement + Part D Plans
Comments (10)You really might want to consider the former employer's pharmacy plan - but where I'm a bit confused... if your husband goes for the pharmacy plan for drug coverage and that proves satisfactory - why would there be a need for a switch to the Medicare Part D in 2012? He would, in effect, be dropping his creditable coverage and that creditable status doesn't carry over to a new plan (ie Medicare Part D because they don't care what you might have had), and would be subject to the forever penalty. Creditable is just comparing what you have against whatever else is out there. An actuarial firm determines that your plan offers Rx coverage that is equal to or better than Medicare Part D. Should be easy enough for him to get the boiler plate notice of "creditable" insurance for drugs from his former employer to keep in his files if he goes with what they're offering. In fact, it's a requirement that the notice be sent each year. It's an unimpressive few sheets of paper stating simply: The Society (I'm retired from the Nat'l Geographic Society) is required to issue this annual notice to participants. Then it goes on to explain Medicare Part D, why I don't need it, why I can't be covered for drugs under more than one plan, and what happens if I drop what I have for something else. I still think that the Medicare Part D penalty is imposed whenever it is not signed up for when you initially become Medicare eligible at 65. Guess I would check with the former employer - HR there should be on top of what they offer. And I'd call Medicare too - or your closest SS office. I found the people at our Social Security office really helpful - on the phone and in person....See Moremedicare advantage vs medicare supplement ?
Comments (15)I have only encountered one MD who opted out of Medicare. This was the orthopod who did my left hip replacement before I was 65. I was foolish to go back to him for the right hip after he opted out. There are tons of other highly qualified orthopods. I paid $7K with zero reimbursement. Dumb Sue. Some MD's with 'niches' can get away with opting out. Ten years ago I found that some GP's were going the 'retainer' route. They charged a patient a set annual fee ($8-10K) and spent no time 'messing' with Medicare or any other insurance plan. I don't know if that worked. I haven't heard anything about it recently....See MoreMedicare Supplements
Comments (3)Thanks a lot stargazer. I was leaning in that direction already because I'm covered right now by BC/BS through my employers plan. Is the overseas part of the plan the only reason you would have chosen the best plan? I'm not much of a traveler. The furtherest I may travel would be an Alaskan cruise, which I am very much interested in. Again, Thanks....See Moremedicare supplemental insurance
Comments (1)Yes, get it. Know that the plans will be the same (if the same letter) but that costs will vary a lot among providers. I just signed up for Medicare and a medigap plan in December. I got the "F" plan from AARP. Same exact plan can cost twice as much with another provider. Note that you can go "down" in plans (lesser coverage, but that you can't upgrade without passing medical conditions. There are no medical conditions if you sign up at the time you are first eligible for Medicare....See More- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
Related Stories

GARDENING GUIDES6 Questions That Will Help You Pick the Best Plants for Your Site
Before you head to the nursery, learn more about your outdoor space
Full Story
SELLING YOUR HOUSE15 Questions to Ask When Interviewing a Real Estate Agent
Here’s what you should find out before selecting an agent to sell your home
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGNHow to Settle on a Shower Bench
We help a Houzz user ask all the right questions for designing a stylish, practical and safe shower bench
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESCan Your Potential Contractor Pass These ‘Dealbreaker’ Tests?
Ask yourself these 5 questions before hiring a remodeler
Full Story
FLOORSIs Radiant Heating or Cooling Right for You?
Questions to ask before you go for one of these temperature systems in your floors or walls (yes, walls)
Full Story
MOST POPULARHow High Should You Mount Your TV?
Today we look at an important question to consider when locating your television: How high should you set it?
Full Story
COLORWhy My Son’s Room Will Be Red: An Expert Weighs In on Colors for Baby
Historical facts, trend recaps and enthusiastic support for painting your nursery any darn color you like
Full Story
BASEMENTSDesign Workshop: Is It Time to Let Basements Become Extinct?
Costly and often unnecessary, basements may become obsolete — if they aren’t already. Here are responses to every reason to keep them around
Full Story
HOME TECHFuture Home: How We’ll Be Living in 10 Years
Fast-forward a decade and see how intuitive technology and a more nomadic lifestyle will be driving the way we live
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESHow to Feed Your Plants for a Healthier Garden
Here’s what you need to know to choose a fertilizer that best fits your plants’ needs
Full Story

laceyvail 6A, WV