SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marmiegard_z7b

Thoughts in Pennsylvania sedge

last month

For the first time I found Pennsylvania sedge at a local nursery. Most sedges in local nurseries are the more ornamental types.

I’ve been wanting to add some sedges either as part of “ matrix” planting or in some swaths or groupings to replace some weedy areas, or just another type of informal edging perennial. I need some drought resistance to get through summers here. I’ve tried some ivory sedge ( in shady area) and prairie dropseed in sun ( I know they’re different!) , which I got by mail, and it’s just a year out, some came back but not definitely happy yet, as in some difficult soil, sloped but might be too heavy.

I have a yard that has a lot of rough or wild-ish areas, with shade or part shade from both direct tree canopy and part- day shade from neighboring trees. Soil is mostly a mess! But actually kind of variable, which I think is due to some areas being filled with at least a kind of topsoil-adjacent dirt when house built many years ago, & other areas that are very rocky ( very high # of small rocks per unit of soil) and sloped and of course rooty near trees.

In the areas I discovered had more workable soil, including working in some compost for better drainage while trying not to make it too rich, I’ve managed to make a few zones for native perennials & some shrubs, both sun & shade.

I’m wondering if Pennsylvania sedge would work in some areas , and if so, what would be best areas, how much preparation. I tend to do sort of a manageable zone, and expand it over time. I’ll never have “ sandy loam”, though! I admit this might be my finding a currently available plant and wanting to make it fit , in when I may not have the right conditions. Some other sedges that seem more appropriate for hot humid summers also seem to require wetter conditions. I have read a lot of what comes up in searches, but was hoping to get some insight from HOUZZ gardeners who’ve grown it, or killed it.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Designs
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner