SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
izzieo

Creative solutions to cover ugly flat roof membrane surface?

izzieo
17 days ago
last modified: 17 days ago

We have two unsightly flat roof sections which are highly visible from the upper level of our home. We can’t support the weight of a green roof since the house has been built and the architect did not include it because she refused to listen to what we wanted. I suggested green roofs during design because I didn’t want to see ugly rooftops.

I wonder what others think of this topic… do you like the view out the window of a roof membrane? I think it looks horrendous, but the architect thought it would be just fine. In two bedrooms and the laundry room there are windows with a view of the flat roofs. One is the covered entry area and one is over the kitchen. We used EPDM, there are visible seams and overall I just can’t believe this would be intentionally designed this way even after I expressed strongly not wanting to see this.

We can only add 10lbs per sq ft load but the lightest green roofs (sedum) are more like 20lbs.

The options are:

1. Pebbles/rocks only - better than nothing, no maintenance and not an issue for the roofing. We would adhere a drainage channel thing around the perimeter to hold it all in on the roof since there are no parapets.
  2. Soilless sedum roof - requires maintenance and not sure how good it’ll look, certainly not a super gorgeous lush green roof like I wanted. Bit riskier with the EPDM membrane since there are seams, maintenance on the roof would be challenging.
  3. Other?

Let me know what you would do. What do you think will look best and be the most functional? Is there something else I haven’t thought of?

Much appreciated!

Comments (35)