SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladyslipper1_gw

Best ground surface for small garden design shop

11 years ago

Hi,
I am opening a garden gift and design shop in Salt Lake City. I am working on my space and am wondering what ground surface is best. I have a small retail indoor space and then an out door space with a cottage and large pergola. Bordering the back and and one side of the property are concrete block walls and a metal security fence borders the front entrance of the space connecting to an asphalt parking lot.Most of the outdoor space currently has asphalt except for some beds which run along the concrete block walls. I want to remove the asphalt because it is ugly, in bad shape and generates a lot of heat! I am not sure what the best surface would be. I want to create a secret garden like space so I need to be able to have some flexibility with the surface so I can change it over time as I can afford to add to it. Concrete is out.No flexibility, too expensive and I would rather have a surface that is self draining. I want to make sure customers will be able to walk around in any kind of footwear because the property is surrounded by a cafe, gift shop, hair salon etc. and want to make it so that customers can stop by anytime to see whats new and not have to be dressed for the occasion. I will be selling garden art, garden furniture and structures, containers, garden design services such as custom container plantings and offering ready made planters, fountains etc. I am not a nursery so I will not have large amounts of flats, trees, shrubs etc. Any thoughts? Is hard packed gravel a good idea with insets of over sized pavers to create paths or to make small patio areas for a solid surface? I can't spend a crazy amount right now so I need it to be a reasonably priced solution. Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor