SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexreznik

Powder Room: Wallpaper or Floor Tile

Alex
last month

Please help with powder room design. I am using this vanity, these sconces and simple medicine cabinets from Kohler. The design choice I need to make: (1) simple floor tile, board and batten walls up to middle of the walls and this wall paper half-drop or (2) checked floor tile and board and batten wall floor to ceiling, no wall paper. Note the ceiling is only 8 feet, but the space is quite large at 5X8

Comments (22)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last month

I don't think the items you have selected complement one another

Even what the vanity manufacturer shows on their website, is more in keeping with the style of the vanity.

The Thistle wallpaper is lovely, but the vanity selected to complement such a traditional wallpaper should be traditional IMO. See this olive green one below that picks up the foliage color of the wallpaper.

• Alex
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you, Beverly. You are absolutely right and I see that too. However, I wanted to kind of soften the vanity with the wall paper. My plan was to use the wallpaper half-drop, and apply board and battle at the bottom of the wall. Kind of softening the industrial modern vanity into country cottage. I like your examples a lot, but they are country style all the way, what I am trying for is a mix of modern and country. Too much? Please feel free to tell me otherwise.

• Kendrah
    last month
    last modified: last month

Who are you and where did you come from? I never seen anyone on Houzz who thinks this outside of the box!

I love the juxtaposition of the traditional wallpaper and the contemporary vanity and lights. The black and white flooring is incredible with it all. It is quite hard to pull off an eclectic look and I think you've done a smashing, nearly magazine worthy job of it.

Yes to the black and white floor and board and batten and wallpaper. I don't think you have to choose between the wallpaper and the floor. Both are great. I would make sure your board and batten is spaced far enough apart - not too many boards. (Or too many battens?) Something like how they are spaced and designed in this pic. Yikes, can't load. Will post later.

• Alex
    Original Author
    last month

Ah, Kendrah - you are too kind! Thank you both for the compliment and the advice. This is exactly what I am trying to achieve, a house that reflects myself - an urban contemporary who loves nature, history and the softness of country. Strong and contemporary with a touch of softness and playfulness. So glad to see fellow Houzzers who can relate. I see your point about the vanity… the warmth of wood is what’s needed, but the lines might be too much… Just to make sure I got your advice fully - you recommend sticking with the black and white floor rather than plain, right?

• RedRyder
    last month

I am planning the same design in a small powder room- board and batten, wallpaper, one color tile floor and a wall mounted sink instead of a vanity.

What color would you paint the wainscoting? That will influence how the wallpaper and floor look in the same room. My powder room is very long and narrow (9 feet long, 3 feet wide and with 10’ ceilings) so the plain floor will be easier to install and look better. If your room is wider than mine and the pattern of the tile can be appreciated, go for it.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last month
    last modified: last month

'"My plan was to use the wallpaper half-drop, and apply board and battle at the bottom of the wall. Kind of softening the industrial modern vanity into country cottage."

What does that even mean?

Adding the B&B wainscoting makes the room even more traditional!! It doesn't make it 'country cottage'. Pick a lane.

This room should relate the rest of the home in terms of style. Can it be special and over the top, yes, but within certain parameters.

You can combine the wallpaper, wainscot & a vanity, but one that's less techy.

• Alex
    Original Author
    29 days ago

@redryder - the paint for wainscoting I am planning to use is 2023 Pointing by Farrow and Ball. It is a light color that matches the base of the wall paper.

• Maureen
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

I’d try to find a happy medium for the tile, simple but impactful to marry the vanity and paper’s designs. Suggest skipping the board and batten, as there will be too much going on and leaning too cottagy. It’s the sum of its total that’s important.

Tile should lean modern.

I found your paper in a different color and think it would work much better with the vanity’s tone/style and meets your criteria:

Look for classic/yet modern accessories.

• Alex
    Original Author
    29 days ago

@beverly thank you for advice!

• Alex
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Maureen, thank you so much! These are great suggestions and inspirations! Do you recommend I stick with the vanity or change? I kind of like it exactly for the modern industrial vibe; but open for other options.

• Kendrah
    29 days ago

Laura Engles Wilder goes to the New York City Public Library and lunches in the Village. A wonderful new style. I approve. Here are some pics that I think can guide you. These all are far more specific than just being "eclectic". Modern lights, fixtures, mirror shapes, tiles, all play against historic colors and fabrics and are a winning combination.

• Kendrah
    29 days ago

100% go with the black and white floor. But the board and batten needs color, rather than the neutral of pointing, to bridge the tile with your wallpaper. I think the floor and wallpaper clash too much without a color grounding it. And, I think a modern walnut vanity will look more handsome against a color too. Use pointing on the ceiling if you are not intending to wallpaper it.

Here are some possible board and batten colors and a few sinks.

• Kendrah
    29 days ago

Contemporary walnut vanities without the ridges. Not sure if these are modern enough though. I always love a wall hung vanity in a small-medium sized bathroom.

• Kendrah
    29 days ago

Additional Farrow and Ball colors I think would compliment the black and white floor and wallpaper well.

• Maureen
    29 days ago

Hard to know until wallpaper is up and floor is installed, in case you don’t like the combo with the vanity, so be sure you can return it. I’d hold off on the sconces and medicine cabinet until you have the rest installed.

There are so many directions you can head; have you seen/saved other ideas?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    29 days ago

Maureen's, wallpaper selection would be a selection so much better for bridging the gap between country and modern.

• Alex
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Love French Gray by F&B. Thank you, Kendrah. Also, Pigeon. I have already used Pigeon in the laundry room for cabinets, I might just use that for the walls in this powder room.

• Kendrah
    29 days ago

Pigeon would look fantastic. Here is a pic of it on the lower walls of a rather boring bathroom, but just to see how it looks… I think it will read as a neutral in your space and be great with the floors and wallpaper.

• Alex
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Yea! Pigeon it is!

• Alex
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Also shopping for a different vanity. Stay tuned for pics 😀

• la_la Girl
    28 days ago

Love the mix of styles your planning! Agree there are better vanities out there - excited to see the PR come together

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    28 days ago

Board and batten is a fairly traditional style material. Am unsure how that would work with the vanity you have chosen. What style are you aiming for? Contemporary/modern, traditional/transitional, etc? Which ever style you decided upon should lead you to choices that are more harmonious. And, as I usually advise folks - the powder room is the place to get wild and creative. They are usually small spaces with a very defined function which makes it easier to wrap your head around a design. Good luck!