SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oberon476

millworkman, you busy?

oberon476
last month
last modified: last month

I have opened a new thread hoping that you might be open to discussing more on the commercial side of things as well as offer you the same opportunity to pick my brain as well. Plus welcome anyone else who might be reading this and might be interested in an open discussion of glass, windows, commercial, residential, whatever.

If this idea doesn't work for you, absolutely no worries and we can move on, but if it does I have copied the last couple exchanges from the previous thread and hope to start from there.....otherwise open season.

• millworkman
    Thanks oberon, most all my experience the last 15 years has been with commercial and in storefront or curtainwall were are outside glazed 98% of the time, so it is always tempered outboard. That all makes sense. Some of our guys do not like tempered lami as the glass tends to crack and run a bit easier that annealed lami. And exterior applications we always use the SGP interlayer.
  • oberon476
    I am curious how much laminated you use in your commercial projects and also where it usually comes from.
  • millworkman,
    We use a decent amount of lami, we do a considerable amount of railings and a lot of the medical use lami for the interior partitions. We buy from Old Castle, Press Glass, Viracon, Blue Star to name a few. Smaller projects we have other guys we can get from. Mostly SGP from what I am aware.

New stuff:

I am very familiar with Old Castle and Viracon (worked with and visited Viracon's factory in Minnesota several times in the past), but I only knew of Press Glass and BlueStar vaguely by name before this morning, so thanks for that! I really enjoy the opportunity to learn more. Spent a good bit of time exploring both companies websites...good stuff!

Since you do a lot of railings, do you ever get involved with quality such as exposed edge polishing on tempered-laminated products? Not sure where it's at today, but when I retired there was a pretty good debate going on between several of the largest glass fabrication companies on how much (if any) edgework could be (should or shouldn't be) allowed on tempered-laminated glass with exposed edge after lamination. Some folks/companies felt that it was 100% forbidden and absolutely no edge work should be allowed, while other folks/companies felt that limited edgework was acceptable.

The two big-dogs that you mentioned above were on opposite sides of that debate and it could get heated. The folks I worked for kept a 100% neutral stance and didn't offer an opinion elther way. I personally was on the side of allowing limited edge work on tempered-laminated, but had some great debates with people I worked with who were on the other side.

So you as the end consumer, have you seen exposed edges on laminated glass products (using any glass, but especially tempered) that were sketchy or even unacceptable, primarily because of offset?

Again, if you have no opinion or experience with this, no worries and we can let this one die a clean death.

Anyone else who read this and might have an opinion or question, PLEASE offer it! Doesn't matter if you are a pro or just an interested bystander, feel free to say what's on your mind.

Would really like to hear what any architects or builders who frequent the site might have to say.

All the glass pros are a given!

Comments (2)